D&D 5E What classes should be restricted?

What are the reasons why you would not want a class in your game?

• The class doesn't fit the game world setting

Votes: 112 77.8%
  • The class doesn't fit with what I think D&D is

Votes: 29 20.1%
  • There isn't enough of a historical precedence for it

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Too weird for me

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • Creates in game issues (balance, etc)

Votes: 84 58.3%
  • Introduces too much class bloat

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • The theme is counter to a heroic RPG (e.g. a class that is primarily an "evil" class)

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • It's a 3PP class, not an official one

Votes: 56 38.9%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't want to see it in the official game

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Bonus option: I don't care what others play, I just don't want them in my game

Votes: 42 29.2%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any of my games

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • Bonus option 2: No class should be restricted in any official game

Votes: 12 8.3%

It is a non-answer for the purposes of the survey. Please try not to call people outright liars when it isn't really called for, okay?

That was not my intended meaning. If that is how it read, then I apologise for the confusion. I'm not calling them a liar. I'm saying they are equivocating or "being intellectual dishonesty". It's a statement about the argument they are making and not about them. I'm trying to say they're avoiding the question by not answering the question fairly, and I'm trying to call them on it.

I did not and do not intend anything to be a personal attack.

pogre

Legend
For my 5E campaign I have definitely gotten soft in my old age and try to allow everything but 3PPs.

Somewhere along the line I embraced the weird in D&D. I tolerate quirky, goofy characters that I would bounce right out of other rpgs I run. I blame my teenage sons - they seem to love the weird stuff in races and classes - so I go with the flow.

The closest I come to controlling any aspect of PC creation is asking players to re-skin certain races and classes to fit my campaign world. For ex: I have a player that wants to do the samurai thing from one of the splat books and I said fine - just change the historical reference to fit my campaign and keep all the fun bits.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm saying they are equivocating or "being intellectual dishonesty".

So... intellectual dishonesty is still dishonesty - in other words, lying.

The other point is... it wasn't intellectual dishonesty - which is defined as supporting a position you know to be false. "Knowingly supporting a position that is non-informative to the poll in question," is not dishonest. It is just kind of pretentious, or pedantic, or threadcrappy, or something like that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not taking away options, because they were never player options to begin with. Classes are options for the DM to use, when building their setting.
We must have a completely different idea of what a class even is, in terms of interaction with the game world.

And also what the game is, because this mindset is a full Owen Wilson "wow" for me.

But as for what a class is, could you possibly explain how the inclusion of a class builds the setting?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The closest I come to controlling any aspect of PC creation is asking players to re-skin certain races and classes to fit my campaign world. For ex: I have a player that wants to do the samurai thing from one of the splat books and I said fine - just change the historical reference to fit my campaign and keep all the fun bits.
Same. I try to find out what is appealing about the option in question, and then determine a place that option could live in the setting. I talk it over with the player, and we figure something out.

Usually this process helps build the world, because we are building a satisfying place for this character to come from and for the player to be invested in. I can't imagine my world changing based on the simple pressence or lack of presence of the ranger, or warlord, or warlock.

Remove ads