D&D (2024) What could OneD&D to bring YOU back to D&D? (+)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
They could start by showing some kind of interest in making TTRPG stuff instead of a lifestyle brand which might sometimes be related to what was once a TTRPG. I feel like half of the time I hear about WotC its about something not-related to stuff we do at the table.

You need to stop patting yourself on the back because you are trying to be more inclusive (while many other company have done so a long time ago, btw) and start making gaming material that includes your changes!

System-wise, I'd like a game that really includes the 3 pillars of play and ways to interact with those pillars outside of skill checks and spells.

And dont have spells for every corner cases: spellcasters should not be able to do everything.

And give me magic that feels like magic, with reference to the recent fantasy tropes, not some niche book from 60 years ago!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If I’m at level 1 they aren’t there. If I’m at level 2 they aren’t there. If I’m at level 3 I have less thematic stuff I can do than I do now at level 3.

I’m Not going to argue about whatever you want to call that.
Fair enough, the purpose of level 1 and 2 in 5E has long been debated on its purpose. I do see what you mean about the game not really hitting thematic stride until level 3.

Clint_L

Hero
If you're a lapsed player - or simply a burned-out one like me - what would you like to see to get you excited?
I don't think that should be a primary design goal.

The problem with chasing lapsed players is that they have myriad reasons and a lot of them have little to do with 5e itself. The biggest one is that they got busy. This happened to me and almost all my gaming friends when we hit our 20s, started careers, families, etc. Gaming became a thing you did on occasion and the time investment of RPGs, in particular, became difficult to justify against all the other stuff you had to get done.

There's a reason so many of us started playing much more regularly in the past decade or so: that huge glut of teenagers from the 80s reached a point where devoting the time necessary to maintain a campaign became feasible again. Our kids got older, our job situation more predictable, our finances more secure, etc.

I think a lot of 5e's glut of players is hitting that same age, so that will lead to an inevitable contraction. The way to ameliorate it is to make the game less of a time and money sink, and I think WotC is trying to do this by making it much more digital. DnDBeyond certainly saves me hours each week. But I don't think this will soften the blow that much. People just age out of things.

Another reason players might leave is that they got burned out, like what you describe. Again, I think chasing those players is not a great strategy. Those players are looking for novelty, so in effect you are competing with other games that they could go buy. But if you change D&D so much that it feels as novel to them as Call of Cthulhu or something, you are likely to alienate a much bigger swathe of fans who were happy with the game as it is. That is actually what happened with 4e, which tried to change D&D into a World of Warcraft-style game. That is why WotC are going in exactly the opposite direction with OneD&D.

Another option is to create novel settings for the game. Maybe you can stop some folks from leaving for Call of Cthulhu by offering a Cthulhu-like setting for D&D! But this can be ultimately a trap, as TSR discovered, that leads to fragmenting and cannibalizing your own fanbase. So WotC know that their new settings have to remain close enough that you don't risk turning someone into, say, a Dark Suns player rather than a D&D player.

To be blunt, OP, players leaving because of burnout or for life reasons is inevitable, and WotC have indicated through OneD&D that they aren't really going to chase after those players too hard. They are trying to create a stable brand that can continually attract new, young players while remaining recognizable to those older players who want to return. In particular, chasing players like you who need novelty is a bad idea. They can't be as different as the many other options that are out there for you, nor should they try. There are a ton of great games - play them instead! And they intend to keep D&D waiting for if and when you want to come back.

TLDR: basically, WotC are turning D&D into McDonalds. They've got a formula that works (5e) and they are sticking with it. They will add novelty at the edges of the menu, but ultimately, this is the burger and fries of RPGs. And that means it's not going to work for everyone, because nothing works for everyone. But it works for a lot.

Retreater

Legend
I don't think that should be a primary design goal.
I agree. I don't expect WotC to listen to a small subset of players - such as me - at the expense of the enjoyment of a larger group.
This thought experiment is to help me (and hopefully others) put into words what our hopes are, what we'd like the game to be. And maybe while doing that we can figure out a few things, including:
1) Are there other systems closer to that ideal than 5E or OneD&D?
2) Are there changes we can implement into either version of the game to reach our ideal?
3) Are our desires unreachable? Perhaps we should examine why we're tired of 5E or if we need a break in general?

Clint_L

Hero
I mean, I've started incorporating Dread directly into my games when I want to keep them really fast-paced and lethal. That certainly shakes things up!

Pedantic

Legend
Specific skill DCs. 5e has unfortunately constrained the RNG too far to actually have enough of them, but what I really want is for my players to build characters that can't fail the DC X check to open non-magical locks and then break into everything.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Nothing...because I never left 5E. (I probably won't leave it either, from what I've seen so far of OneD&D...but I'm trying to keep an open mind.)

Things I'd like to see, though:
  • Spell points in the Player's Handbook, even if it's listed as an option. It's not visible enough in the DMG.
  • Monster templates, please. I miss them so much.
  • Custom lineage (ala Tasha's) in the Player's Handbook as well, similar to the 5E Custom Background.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I agree. I don't expect WotC to listen to a small subset of players - such as me - at the expense of the enjoyment of a larger group.
This thought experiment is to help me (and hopefully others) put into words what our hopes are, what we'd like the game to be. And maybe while doing that we can figure out a few things, including:
May be but do you have the time to explore or the players willing to follow. There is where a club scene is really useful. In that the club is game dedicated not tied to a specific game or genre.
2) Are there changes we can implement into either version of the game to reach our ideal?
Again maybe, it really depends.
3) Are our desires unreachable? Perhaps we should examine why we're tired of 5E or if we need a break in general?
This is the real crux of the issue, why are you tired of the game? To be honest reading your game schedule I am not really surprised it seems a bit relentless. Taking a break can be good. I did it in the noughties. I did not drop out completely in that I played the occasional game, did not DM but continued with wargames and boardgames.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Speaking for myself, I'm a skill system guy. 5E is one of the worst skill systems. Which is a shame because its good in many other areas. Also, the adventure material could be a lot better. Id rather they break down those hardback monstrosities and take the setting info, player options, and adventure material and spread it out. Not asking for the return of monthly releases, but if they want to monetize players more, give them something singular to buy.
Sure, but I'm afraid it would make the game a bit more complex. That might move out of the goal of being a causal entry level game. Though, everything is in degrees and oneD&D seems to be taking some steps in an interesting direction. YMMV
Had I started with 5E id probably love it. Though, I went from 2E to 3E to Pathfinder. I like that crunchy goodness, and chargen wilderness to play in. 5E is mild in comparison, although has a better running system (I love BA!). Since 5E lacks that player granularity, I rely on a GM selling me on a great campaign. That puts a load of effort on the GM that, IMO, is lightened some with a player option focused system. If the GM is in a rut, or just not that good, I still have my chargen to keep me interested, but not really when it comes to 5E. So great adventures/paths have a higher demand (from me) than previous editions.

Do I need a break in general? Na. Im a system hopper and mechanical explorer. I wish more folks were. Some, however, are entirely inseparable from the D&D brand. If the books on the table dont say "D&D" on them, they wont play or be satisfied. It's more cultural than mechanical, though the squealing is loud when the mechanics are not to their liking. YMMV.

Remove ads