D&D (2024) What do we call One D&D?

Which Acronym?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hmm. My friends and I never interpreted it as gimmicky. It just seemed appropriate for something that was not quite a new edition and too different from the old one to really be compatible.
Trying to claim that it was "not quite a new edition" was the BS part, making a software patch analogy was the gimmick.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
6e isn't an option, oddly. So, per Chris Perkins' request, it's D&D. Or DND: Do Not Discuss (that we're rendering your 5e books obsolete).

Medic

Neutral Evil
  • OD&D
  • One-D&D State
  • Done&Done
  • One D&D to Rule Them All
  • Dungeons & Dragons One Edition
first edition.png

Argyle King

Legend
With the first playtest document out for the next iteration of D&D, the most important question arises...

What do we call it?!?

There's also these important changes:
  • Capitalizing all rule names
  • Defining a d20 Test
  • Calling out "Repeatable" in every Feat
  • No half-races
  • No background "Features"
  • Only 3 spell lists
  • 3 starting languages
  • Critical auto-success/failure on skill checks
  • Improvised now = furniture
  • Tool + Skill Proficiency grants Advantage
To name a few...

Wait...

They've removed background features?

Argyle King

Legend
They don't appear in the playtest packet. You get a feat instead.

That's disappointing.

While, yes, I do think there should be a few more opportunities to select feats; I very much enjoyed background features being a distinct character-building step that functioned in its own way.

I'm seeing a lot of reports that people "forget" their features. I believe that. But it's odd to me because I find a lot of the features to be interesting and useful.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That's disappointing.

While, yes, I do think there should be a few more opportunities to select feats; I very much enjoyed background features being a distinct character-building step that functioned in its own way.

I'm seeing a lot of reports that people "forget" their features. I believe that. But it's odd to me because I find a lot of the features to be interesting and useful.
As much as I liked the idea of features, they were so utterly varied in usefulness and power that they were a nightmare. So easy for the player and the referee to have wildly differing ideas of what they mean and how they're supposed to play out. Like noble. A lot of players seem to want it to be a universal mind control of peasants. A lot of referees simply banned it in response. Or the acolyte's free healing at a temple associated with your deity. Or the hermit's discovery. Or the outlander's free food. Neat idea, terrible implementation.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases