What do you eat for a typical breakfast?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think most of finnish cuisine might be a bit of an acquired taste thing, but I am amazed you can get karelian pies out there! Very cool!
My grandmother's family is Finnish (her parents and oldest sibling came over to the states in 1902 and 1903) and my sister has been experimenting with a lot of recipes recently. Only ones I've made are pancakes, a potato/egg dish, and cookies with cardamom. The former using my great Aunt's recipe and the later two were from a cookbook. The first two were really good, the cookies not so much to my liking. The cookbook (1966 Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking) also has one for the Karelian pasties in it among the others in the Finnish section. I'm now curious how authentic any of them are.

I'd never seen a Finnish restaurant in the states before (lots of Swedish ones), but figured if I was in DC I'd google it. The chef went to culinary school in Helsinki and worked for some Finnish ambassadors before opening his own place.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Work Days: Bacon and egg biscuit from 1-3 various fast food places, large half-and-half tea (pre-pandemic, when you could go inside, I'd get my usual 95% unsweet with a splash of sweet tea on top, which is in general enough to sweeten an entire large cup).
Non-Work Days: 50% of the time, the same or go to a nice breakfast place for omelet, toast, bacon or some form of potato, maybe some OJ.
Gaming Convention Day: All The Things

Zardnaar

Legend
My last cooked breakfast just before lockdown.

IMG_20210815_094148.jpg

Open steak sandwich. Rarely eat cooked breakfast usually cereal, yoghurt, fruit.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Along with French toast, Omelettes are another weekend regular to make at home. Three egg (splash of milk), pepper jack cheese, sausage, and this time added sauteed mushrooms and peppers, and a few slivers of salami.

Attachments

• IMG_20210822_113927~2.jpg
    IMG_20210822_113927~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My breakfast today was an Earl Campbell’s hot link sandwich (sliced open, served on toasted sourdough with Mayo & mustard) and a small salad of spinach, romaine, tomatoes, slivered anaheim peppers, and topped with an Italian vinaigrette.

I tend to just drink some chocolate milk and leave it at that, and then finish the rest of the half-gallon carton lunch for lunch. It's quicker than having something proper.

The store has been out of chocolate milk for the past few weeks, so now I've been having soft pretzels instead

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Discovered banana-flavored Pop-Tarts exist. Not 'banana creme' so not as sweet nor drenched in frosting. Pretty good to go down dry.

Remove ads