Dragonlance [+] What do you like most about DRAGONLANCE?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
There was a short story about someone in prison that I really, really liked back in the day. I don't remember which of the anthologies it was in though!
iirc it looked like it had a happy ending... but didn't.
If anyone has a suggestion to which one it was I'd really appreciate it.

Hex08

Hero
I never played in the setting, but I remember the Dragonlance short story that was published in Dragon Magazine. I don't remember if more than one were published but I remember really enjoying what I read.

Mercurius

Legend
Dragonlance is sort of like "themed vanilla fantasy" - or vanilla with flakes of vanilla bean. One of my favorite setting types. Meaning, you still get the "homey" feel of traditional vanilla fantasy, but isn't just a re-hash of the same old Earth analogues, from Earth pantheons to fantasy Europe, Egypt, etc.

Also, love the Irda. I don't figure they'd show up in this product, though.

The characters, the art (it is curious, because today it is retro or vintage for they eyes of the last generations), and some stories. 'Wanna Bet?' should be adapted to animation. The perfect parody of D&D, it would be loved even by people who hate fantasy. Maybe the story could start with kender telling their children the time she was with Caramon's children and these were telling their experencie with Dougan Redhammer. This could explain some changes of the details.

GreyLord

Legend
It's the closest D&D really has gotten to D&D Lord of the Rings without it being Lord of the Rings.

You had it all there, the Dark Queen (Dark Lord), the servants of the Dark Queen such as the Dragonlords (aka...Ring Wraiths and other leaders), the Solamnic Knights (aka...Gondor), the party (aka...fellowship) which breaks and separates and goes on their separate adventures, Helm's Deep...I mean the High Clerist Tower, etc...etc...etc.

If one wanted D&D with High Epic Fantasy, Dragonlance was the defining item for awhile....and for some, it still is.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I like the original stories with a low-magic-ish grungy world that is opened up to epic fantasy's arrival on red dragon's wings.

I am actually re-reading the Chronicles trilogy for the first time since about 1987 and am finding it a fascinating re-read in terms of how it adheres to D&Dism but also eschews some of them.

• The worldbuilding and how the Cataclysm is felt to the present day. People that should be allies don't trust each other, ports are landlocked, whole cities are buried beneath the ground.
  • Lord Soth!
  • Solace and the Inn of the Last Home - there are so many iconic locations that live in my head to this day
  • Epic tales are balanced with personal drama worthy of soap operas
  • And, honestly, the cookbook recipes!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I just remembered that I bought Dragon of Autumn's whatever (?) maybe one week after giving up on Lord of the Rings when I was 12 y.o. To me the general idea is similar: collapsed societies, active war against an Evil (capital letter) army, low-ish magic characters but high magic world.

I guess what I love about it the the cheap and easy access to D&D fantasy.

Remove ads