D&D (2024) What do you want & expect to see in 2024's 5.5e?

Heh, I understand what you mean about the wizard, but I'm just a huge fan of the 4e Swordmage. No 5e gish is even close to how good of a gish the Swordmage was, even after they re-introduced a few of its signature abilities, like Booming Blade.
The swordmage could be the arcane paladin or ranger. Half caster and then go from there. Maybe having a generic half caster with subclasses for paladin, ranger and swordmage could work. Depends on how much weight subclasses are allowed to have. I think, they might get a bigger design space for all classes. And start at level 1.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
All I'm expecting for changes are:
- Original classes/subclasses tweaked to be in line with more recent ones (for example, using proficiency bonus in place of ability modifier, and abilities getting one free use before consuming resources).
- Races adhering to the new format
- Maybe some particular good/bad spells adjusted

What I'd like to see in addition is:
- Sorcerer and Monk subclass abilities modified so they don't consume base class resources (Sorcery Points and Ki, respectively)
- Everybody starts with one feat, and Humans somehow made a more compelling choice.
- Feats all rebalanced and given +1 ASI
- Inspiration officially moved to being used after the roll, not before

Olrox17

Hero
I really don't see the point of changing the caster types of so many classes. Because all that ends up happening is you replace those high level spell slots they no longer get with just magical class features. So rather than having several different options to choose from at high level (IE their spell list), the class instead just gets one single magical "thing" at various levels instead. How is that considered an improvement in gameplay? What is such the problem with getting to select 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells that we keep insisting they get taken away from certain classes? I just don't get it.
The point is, you're not taking away anything, you would just expand the design space available. All the current subclasses would remain perfectly valid options. But if a WotC dev had a brilliant idea for a spell-less paladin, or an half-caster druid (4e Warden?), or the Swordmage I was talking about earlier, then the system would accommodate them, and give them enough design space to work with.
The swordmage could be the arcane paladin or ranger. Half caster and then go from there. Maybe having a generic half caster with subclasses for paladin, ranger and swordmage could work. Depends on how much weight subclasses are allowed to have. I think, they might get a bigger design space for all classes. And start at level 1.
Sure, that would also work. Also agreed on starting subclasses at level 1.

Scribe

Legend
1. Class clean up/balance iteration.
2. Race reboot. I expect 2-5 features per race, the vast majority of what describes a race will be 'roughly human' and 'you decide'.
3. Spell clean up/balance iteration.

Basic stuff.

4. Removal of Gods/Alignment as part of the core game, pushing this into Setting specific. ;)

HammerMan

Legend
Heh, I understand what you mean about the wizard, but I'm just a huge fan of the 4e Swordmage. No 5e gish is even close to how good of a gish the Swordmage was, even after they re-introduced a few of its signature abilities, like Booming Blade.
I think it is the spell list that needs to be changed. If eldrtich knights had 5-6 melee themed spells, that alone would make it feel more swordmageish

Lyxen

Great Old One
I will say I am disappointed. I want ground up rewrite not a .5 mid edition smoothing out. I may just start looking for a non D&D game to play.

Honestly, you might as well do it now, there is no way a ground up rewrite would maintain full compatibility, and with the success of 5e, itself based on thorough playtesting, there is no chance that it would happen anyway.

Waller

Legend
Here's my wishlist. For me they need to do all the stuff that Level Up is doing.

player_features.jpg
narrators2.jpg

R_J_K75

Legend
I used to be the same way, but once I gave it a chance I don't think I could go back. Beyond is just so much more useful than a PDF, I actually avoid my huge library of PDFs.
I just prefer pdfs as theyre easy to print a page or a few for an adventure. I found a website called www.5etools.com that you can print out encounters, monster stats, spell lists. Pretty nice site actually. But back to DDB, I just dont want to pay again for books I already own. IDK the truth of this but Ive also read that when you purchase something there you dont own it and they can pull the license at any point they want?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases