• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What does the mundane high level fighter look like? [+]

Sacrosanct

Legend
But how do you represent that in D&D? The fighter mostly gains more HP and attack bonus as they level up. They would need parrying and pushing abilities to do what Mihawk did.
We're talking end game stuff here right? And assuming 5e's mechanics. So I think I'd start with something like:

• legendary resistance, but against attacks. Where you can turn any physical attack against you into a miss. (the knife blocking the swords)
  • immune to crits completely
  • alter remarkable athlete to increase jump and movement distances by a multiplier equaling 1/2 your prof bonus (rounded up) by spending a bonus action (this could happen much earlier than 20th level).
*against non-magical armor/defense or mundane objects, attacks are auto-crits.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah. As a high level fighter, that’s end game stuff I’d envision. Master of reflex and key points and leverage.
Well the based D&D Fighter is the Mighty Glacier. Powerful, Tough but slow.

1. Unarmored Defense
  2. Autocrit on objects
  3. Access to unorthodox styles (Large Weapons, Tri-Wield)

Quickleaf

Legend
Well, pedantically, that's a single target.
That said, being able to inflict 40+ points of structural damage at 200 yards is no mean feat, and worthy of high end play. A great example.
It is a super cool scene, I agree. Posting link for anyone who was wondering "what they heck are they talking about?"

But, at least for me, this is completely leaving behind my suspension of disbelief around "mundane fighter" that @Sacrosanct gave a definition for in the OP, and entering the realm of Supernatural Anime Physics. For me, I could NOT play a fighter destroying a boat like this and claim with a straight face "I know this secret totally nonmagical technique that I trained for years to master." But anime is popular & I'm likely in minority.

Sacrosanct said:
Given: There is an option for a mundane fighter class. Mundane is defined as "no inherent magical ability built into the core class". "Magical ability" excludes being better at something a normal person can do (so jumping, strength, etc. are all on the table), but does include reality-bending supernatural effects, such as illusions, evocation, regeneration, teleporting, conjuration, etc.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In general, system agnostic terms, a high-level mundane warrior should:

1) be able to “take more damage” and recover damage more quickly than is normal without supernatural assistance. Regeneration could be possible if that is something that occurs within their species, and if so, might be more robust than is typical.

2) be able to delay, recover from, minimize or shrug off effects from mundane adverse conditions like fatigue, toxins/venoms, illnesses, or nonmagical environmental exposure better/faster than is typical.

3) possibly have attributes near, at, or marginally beyond normal for their species.

4) have combat and combat-related skills at the peak levels of ability.

5) have unusually good combat-related luck.

6) possibly be more able to resist negative supernatural effects than is typical, but not so much as to be clearly supernatural.

Scribe

Legend
But, at least for me, this is completely leaving behind my suspension of disbelief around "mundane fighter" that @Sacrosanct gave a definition for in the OP, and entering the realm of Supernatural Anime Physics. For me, I could NOT play a fighter destroying a boat like this and claim with a straight face "I know this secret totally nonmagical technique that I trained for years to master." But anime is popular & I'm likely in minority.

Exactly. This is why I think D&D needs to look into a truly 'anime' setting to solve this for some folks. Drawing your sword from 200 yards and just instantly slicing a ship in half is not 'mundane' by any stretch of any imagination, ever.

Exactly. This is why I think D&D needs to look into a truly 'anime' setting to solve this for some folks. Drawing your sword from 200 yards and just instantly slicing a ship in half is not 'mundane' by any stretch of any imagination, ever.
Oh, in a "this, but not this" benchmark?

Oofta

Legend

That would be a different game. Not that it would be bad, just different.

Remove ads