• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What does your dream 4e Monster Manual contain?

Kunimatyu

First Post
the Jester said:
No Tojanida.

Also no Rasts and Ravids, please. Feel free to give Howlers, Devourers, and the like the axe as well.

EDIT: Oh, and add in Boneclaws! That monster has a surprising amount of traction in my games.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
This may seem strange to some, but I noticed that in 3E all the player races were statted in the MM except one: humans. So I looked up my AD&D 1st ed and 2nd ed MMs, and even the Basic D&D monter entries - yup humans are cited complete with details on typical gangs and groups and organization and behaviour. They were listed under "Men" rather than Human, but nonetheless those editions were thorough. For me I liked this as it was a quick guide to how humans fit into the game rather than going on assumptions alone. (3E was weird in omitting us... I'm going to post my version of an entry in the 3E MM for Humans in the House Rules forum.)

So, for the sake of completeness and campaign perspective, I'd like to see Humans in the 4E MM too.

Btw: wasn't it Vince Price who said humans were the worst monsters of all? :eek: :heh: :cool:

Last edited:

Awakened

First Post
the Jester said:
No Tojanida.
Ha! Yeah, maybe it should be "what do we not want to see in core."
I hope Guardinals and Yugoloths make it in, I love the idea of along list of brief animal stats (maybe kill two birds with one stone, and put a couple columns on that b***h with familiar benefits), although I STRONGLY disagree with the "only a few monsters, lots of templates" view. Ugh. That's okay, cuz it won't happen :)
I like yr list shade, but it's a bit long. A lot of those just feel like non-core monsters.

Dalberon

First Post
A CD (that came with the book)with a program that will allow you to print 'Monster Cards' from you computer (cards with the pic/stats already on them). It would be even more wonderful if you could 'generate' or customize these cards before printing them.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
These are just off the top of my head:

Aboleth
Ankheg
Angel (essentially a "class" for good-aligned outsiders)
Animals (badger, weasel, horses, camel, tiger, lion, brown and grizzly bears, etc.)
Ape, Carnivorous

Basilisk
Behemoth
Behir
Beholder
Bird, Riding
Bullette

Catfolk*
Chimera

Demon (essentially a "class" for bizarre weirdness console RPG demons)
Devil (essentially a "class" for classically styled medievalesque demons)
Dinosaurs (key types like the T-Rex and the raptors)
Dragons (all the iconic types)
Draconians
Dwarf*

Elementals (including Positive and Negative elementals, the latter replacing nightxers)
Elf*
Elf, Drow*
Ettin

Fey (a "class" for fey creatures from friendly little faeries to Gentleman With the Thistledown Hair low-epic menaces)

Genies (all four types)
Ghoul
Giants (all the iconic types)
Giff*
Gnome*
Goblin*

Halfling*
Hobgoblin*
Human*
Hydra

Kobold*

Lizardfolk*

Mascot (a "class" for pet monsters, moogles and other 'cute magical critters)
Mind Flayer
Mummy

Neogi

Ogre
Ooze (a couple of types)
Orc*

Purple Worm

Rakshasa
Ratfolk*
Rhemorhaz
Roc
Rust Monster (the Mearls version)

Scorpion, Giant (various sizes)
Scro
Shambling Mound
Spider, Giant (various sizes)

Thri-Kreen*
Titan
Treant
Troll

Vampire

Werewolf (and other lycanthropes)

Wraith (essentially a class for incorporeal undead)

Zombie (essentially a class for corporeal undead, ala Magic the Gathering's sentient zombies)

* Those marked with an asterix I would rather see in the PHB.

Remove ads