Level Up (A5E) [+] What features should a "Advanced 5E" have?

Assuming we want 5.5e or Advanced 5e to be compatible with 5e then most of my big and fun ideas wouldn't work. Sticking with that assumption I'd go for:
  • Subclass always starts at level 1 of a class. While not always an issue it can create wonky shifts in character theme when waiting a few levels for something core to kick in.
  • Variant features more common like UA.
  • Maneuvers for most martial classes and many subclasses.
  • More racial/background/ancestry growth tied to character level.
  • 4e style monster variations that are modular to the base monster design.

dave2008

Legend
(If you're not interested in the concept of an Advanced 5E, this thread isn't for you. Move along. Nothing to see here!)

I used "Advanced" just because AD&D did. That doesn't mean better, but it sounds better than "Crunchy 5E". The working title I have in mind is the '6th World System'.

If you ARE interested in the idea of an Advanced 5E - 5E with a bit more crunch - what features would you want to see in it?

Asking for a friend who is me who might make it.
Not sure if he has responded yet, but this seems right up @CapnZapp's alley.

dave2008

Legend
Most of what I would want is already available in some form from people other than WotC or we house rule ourselves. Though it would be nice to have it all in one place.

So, something that isn't already available is a return to the module concept. I group of dedicated optional or variant rules that allow to to play the game differently. If this was from WotC, I would tie these modules into various settings.

Now some variants I could see in a stand alone 3PP product:

Armor with DR
More Feats
Variant Features
Variant death & dying & resting rules
HD options (spend them on other things than healing)
Stonghold rules
Exploration rules
Interaction rules
Mass combat rules
Low magic rules
Crafting rules
Stacking advantage variant
Rules / guidelines to make monster tougher
Optional crit rules
degrees of success (if your roll 5 or more above what you need to hit, you do max damage or something like that)

Variable/tiered Proficiency Bonus, not one bonus to rule them all, and in the homogeny bind them.

I think it's a tad lame that a 1st level fighter and a 1st level wizard both have the same attack bonus with proficient weapons.

Remove ads