WotC What Official 5E non-D&D Game Do You Want To See from WotC?

What non-D&D 5E game should WotC make?

• Gamma World

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Star Frontiers

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • 5E Modern (not setting specific)

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • 5E Sci Fi (not setting specific)

Votes: 17 20.0%
  • Star Wars 5E

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other (Boot Hill, Gangbusters, Etc...)

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • WotC Should Stick to D&D

Votes: 18 21.2%

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Metamorphosis Alpha

although this poll has made me nostalgic for Boot Hill (though it would probably never get played - does anyone play Western RPGs?)
Boot Hill and then Top Secret were our defaults. I had a character named Tex Mularky in both. Yes, you read that right…

Reynard

Legend
Some folks have voted "WotC should stick to D&D" but haven't articulated any reason. Does anyone who feels that way want to explain their reasoning?

Do you honestly think 5E is going to be the system for that, though? We'll have people getting shot like 20 times and being fine by level 8, and the whole thing will be deep into "farce" territory, and not in a good way.
I don't see why you think that is an issue for a Western setting and not for any other setting, such as D20 Modern, Star Wars, or standard fantasy D&D. We all know hit points are unrealistic in any setting. In the real world you are just as dead when hit with a bullet, a light sabre or a kitchen knife. The original Boot Hill had a high lethality. Which made it very unfun to play. Hit points exist simply to make the game fun, and are just as valid, and silly, in any setting.

Today if you want a new "Boot Hill" you only need the firearms from "d20 Past" added to 5Ed, but the Western is not so popular like in the past, maybe by fault of the Spagettin Western, with a more cynical vision. Do you remember a Western videogame besides Red Dead Redemption? Today the steampunk is a better option. A fictional "New World" is a better option because the GM has got more creative freedom, and to avoid any controversies about History in the real life.

1652512758677.jpeg

Why to buy "Boot Hill" when you can enjoy Privateer Press' "Iron Kingdoms"? Here I see more possible something like a new plane for "Magic: the Ascension" as a fantasy version of League of Extraordiary Getlemen. Why only the Far West when you could explore the rest of the world in the same age?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
D&D is already a Weatern in Renaissance Faire garb. They really wouldn't have to change much.
Yup, just have to find a good way to replace ''armors'' as the items to boost your AC and replace the weapons chart, ideally having a good mix of viable melee weapons vs guns so that to everything is about Dex.

Refluff the classes, you can keep most spellcasters as-is if you gonna go with Weird West. And boom, Western.

Maybe put more effort into travelling rules, to keep that Frontier vibe.

(Hot take alert) I feel D&D would be better served by leaning harder into its western roots rather than its idiosyncratic vision of pseudo-medieval pseudo-Europe.

If there is a WotC's Western RPG this will add a lot of fantasy elements, because the strategy is to sell a brand with its own style, not a genre. Others can publish their own Western.

Gamma World could work better if you want to follow the style of the Western movies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yup, just have to find a good way to replace ''armors'' as the items to boost your AC and replace the weapons chart, ideally having a good mix of viable melee weapons vs guns so that to everything is about Dex.

Refluff the classes, you can keep most spellcasters as-is if you gonna go with Weird West. And boom, Western.

Maybe put more effort into travelling rules, to keep that Frontier vibe.

(Hot take alert) I feel D&D would be better served by leaning harder into its western roots rather than its idiosyncratic vision of pseudo-medieval pseudo-Europe.
On the other hand, the bizarre admixture of Western tropes with Chivalric romance, Sword & Sorcery, and Tolkienian tropes is part of their brand.

Remove ads