D&D (2024) What PHB races should have darkvision?

Who MUST have darkvision?

• Ardling

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 46 74.2%
  • Elf

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Halfling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Human

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orc

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • No races should have darkvision (I am in the pocket of Big Torch)

Votes: 13 21.0%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At this moment, a lot of PHB races still have darkvision. Per the 2014 RAW, darkvision isn't the ability to see perfectly in the dark, but that's how it's often played. And even if it's just so-so, many adventuring parties don't have to do the classic D&D fantasy of carrying torches and lanterns into the dark places in the earth, which feels like a loss.

So, maybe we should cut some of these folks' darkvision.

What peoples do you think must have darkvision in the 2014 PHB?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I voted for Dwarf and Orc, two races that often live in the dark places in the earth and don't tend to rely on magic for convenience's sake. And going into their domains should be nervewracking, because these people know the dark and are more comfortable there than intruders are.

Elves and gnomes should have reasons to have sparkling dancing lights in their communities. Humans and halflings need to have communal fires and well-lit gathering spaces to come together. And dragonborn and tieflings need to have extremely atmospheric fires or comparable forms of lighting (lava pits, glowing pools of mysterious liquid, magic bottles lit by trapped lightning).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dragonborn, dwarf, elf, gnome, orc, Tiefling, just like has always been the case. I don’t care what they do with Ardlings, cause I hate them.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
How would you differentiate between low light vision and darkvision?
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within X feet of yourself as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.

Lowlightvision/Elfsight: You can see in dim light within x feet of yourself as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

Night vision:You can see in darkness within 120 feet of yourself as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of green.

Remove ads