D&D (2024) What PHB races should have darkvision?

Who MUST have darkvision?

• Ardling

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 46 74.2%
  • Elf

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Halfling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Human

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orc

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • No races should have darkvision (I am in the pocket of Big Torch)

Votes: 13 21.0%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They’re just not very thematically cogent and feel like a poor choice for the PHB to me. If they wanted an upper-planes counterpart to Tieflings in the PHB I would rather they have gone with Asimar. If they wanted a generic anthropomorphic animal race in the PHB I would rather they not have tied them to the upper planes. Both are fine concepts but I don’t think they mesh well.
I'd rather they included Aasimar in the 2024 PHB and just expanded their descriptions to let them have guardinal-style animalian features. I don't know what they're doing that they couldn't already be doing with the Aasimar. (And as the saga of the eladrins and shadar-kai over the editions show, WotC is comfortable expanding and contracting what each species looks like and can do, as needed.)

That would make everyone use torches and lanterns (which I view as a good outcome) and also be wildly evocative. (What if dragonborn could also smell gold?)

But yeah, I think there's basically zero chance WotC would go for this.
Yeah that would be the goal. Only monsters get darkvision, so the PCs are at a disadvantage going into monster lairs.

But yes, unless i houserule and do a bunch of testing, i'll never see it.

EDIT: and dragonborn smelling gold would be super cool!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'd rather they included Aasimar in the 2024 PHB and just expanded their descriptions to let them have guardinal-style animalian features. I don't know what they're doing that they couldn't already be doing with the Aasimar. (And as the saga of the eladrins and shadar-kai over the editions show, WotC is comfortable expanding and contracting what each species looks like and can do, as needed.)
Yeah, that would have been fine with me too. Especially when Ardlings’ main thing is manifesting spectral wings, which is already Asimars’ thing and has no thematic connection to them being animal people.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I really wish there were a lesser version that didn't work in absolute darkness. The ability to see in total, pitch darkness should be limited to very, very few races.

Personally, I find the idea that races with darkvision wouldn't use light sources in their lairs to be dumb, but I voted for dwarves, orcs, and Tieflings.

Remove ads