D&D (2024) What PHB races should have darkvision?

Who MUST have darkvision?

• Ardling

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Dragonborn

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 46 74.2%
  • Elf

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Gnome

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Halfling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Human

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orc

Votes: 30 48.4%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • No races should have darkvision (I am in the pocket of Big Torch)

Votes: 13 21.0%

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Oh, right, sorry. I think the races that have historically had darkvision should continue to do so. I think dragonborn should gain Darkvision because dragons famously have it.
Dragons are also known to lair in caves. Are dragonborn similarly depicted as subterranean dwellers?

They’re just not very thematically cogent and feel like a poor choice for the PHB to me. If they wanted an upper-planes counterpart to Tieflings in the PHB I would rather they have gone with Asimar. If they wanted a generic anthropomorphic animal race in the PHB I would rather they not have tied them to the upper planes. Both are fine concepts but I don’t think they mesh well.
Yeah, I'd never heard of them and don't know what reason they might have had to not use aasimar for upper-plane touched people.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Why does everyone think tieflings need it? They’ve never been associated with the underground.
For me, it's their association with the lower planes which, again for me, tend to have an "underground" character as well as being influenced by the negative energy plane, which I also think of as dark.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dragons are also known to lair in caves.
Umm… Dragons of different colors have different lairing behaviors…
Are dragonborn similarly depicted as subterranean dwellers?
Don’t matter, they’re reptilian.
Yeah, I'd never heard of them and don't know what reason they might have had to not use aasimar for upper-plane touched people.
You’d never heard of them because they didn’t exist until now.

For me, it's their association with the lower planes which, again for me, tend to have an "underground" character as well as being influenced by the negative energy plane, which I also think of as dark.
When I think of Hell, I tend to think fire personally. I feel the need for tieflings to see in the dark is weak. Even weaker for Aasimar. Aasimar should be so luminous that they literally get rid of darkness merely by their presence.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Outsiders (fiends, celestials, etc.) were universally given darkvision in 3e. This included aasimar and tieflings.
Twenty years later, is that a compelling reason, though? 3E, as much as I loved it, has a lot of stuff in it that we've moved away from, flying off on our ghost half-dragon infernal dire eagle mounts.

Remove ads