• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would a monk have to give up?

jayaint

First Post
...In your game, in order to either a) get the fighter's BAB progression? (Doubtful this would fly in our game, but I figured I'd ask) or b) to be treated as having a +1 BAB with unarmed strike at first level? (More realistic, yet it seems like an "odd" type of house-rule)

Is it possible to find a balance with this?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
jayaint said:
...In your game, in order to either a) get the fighter's BAB progression? (Doubtful this would fly in our game, but I figured I'd ask) or b) to be treated as having a +1 BAB with unarmed strike at first level? (More realistic, yet it seems like an "odd" type of house-rule)

a) This wouldn't go in my game. I've made a number of monk unarmed combat abilities into feats, and a person who wanted full base attack would be encouraged to be a fighter taking those feats.

b) Some fast movement, perhaps?

jayaint

First Post
After posting, then pondering, I see that the a) option isn't working under any circumstances....

Do you think that dropping Flurry of Blows would be a balanced tradeoff?

"Monks have the option of not gaining any FoB attacks, in order to have their unarmed attack treated as a +1 BAB at 1st level and thereafter has a +1 (named?) bonus to their attack(s)." Sacrificing speed for accuracy.

Something like that, as a built in class feature?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I think that if anything, that's giving up too much for the monk -- although I'd be afraid to do it quite the way you did, since it would make dipping one or two levels into monk too attractive for most martial characters.

Wouldn't it be easier to create unarmed combat feats for a fighter? Plus a few other feats to provide some monk-like abilities?

jayaint said:

jayaint

First Post
orangefruitbat said:
Wouldn't it be easier to create unarmed combat feats for a fighter? Plus a few other feats to provide some monk-like abilities?

Yes and no. Yes, for sure in terms of simple game mechanics, and this post is actually a result of a crumpled up piece of paper working on that exact idea.

No, because I do LIKE the monk class, i have just always thought that with everything else the monks give up, especially at low levels, it was silly for them to not at least get +1 on unarmed attacks, seeing as how they are modeled as the "best" at that particular martial skill.

If i can keep the whole flavor of the monk class, and yet find a trade-off/balancer to get them +1 BAB at first level, i think my monk-soul would be at peace :)

Machiavelli

First Post
If i can keep the whole flavor of the monk class...
Heh, that's odd. I never liked the "whole flavor" of the monk class. Monks are like Bruce Lee, able to kill anything that comes at them despite being half-naked and crazy. Yet EVERYONE wants to be a monk. There was only even ONE Bruce Lee, and maybe, just MAYBE a handful of men like him. Perhaps an epic-level monk should be expected to be like Bruce Lee, but an epic-level monk can also teleport with his mind, flutter safely to the ground like a leaf from great heights, drink poisons like water, and live forever.

Dubya. Tee. Eff.

Edit: Oh, and he can talk to puppy dogs and fireants, because he's so 4\/\/e50m3 like 'dat.

Last edited:

Remove ads