What would you like to see brought back from older editions?

I'd like to see more of a focus on non-dungeon adventuring. Not that dungeons should be ignored--far from!--but I'd like to see them presented as one option among many, both in terms of style (hack-n-slash vs. mystery vs. political) and environment.

I'd like to see clerics and other divine characters more heavily influenced by their deity. Not to the extent of the old spheres, but more so than domains.

I'd like to see some--not all, because I know it's not everyone's cup of healing potion, but some--art revert back to classic fantasy and (where possible) historical accuracy.

And as I said in another thread, I want to see a return of the notion of keeps, land, followers, and territory for high-level characters. It need not be the default, but I'd like to see sufficient rules to make it a viable option.

Greg K

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
I'd like to see more of a focus on non-dungeon adventuring. Not that dungeons should be ignored--far from!--but I'd like to see them presented as one option among many, both in terms of style (hack-n-slash vs. mystery vs. political) and environment.

I'd like to see clerics and other divine characters more heavily influenced by their deity. Not to the extent of the old spheres, but more so than domains.

I'd like to see some--not all, because I know it's not everyone's cup of healing potion, but some--art revert back to classic fantasy and (where possible) historical accuracy.

And as I said in another thread, I want to see a return of the notion of keeps, land, followers, and territory for high-level characters. It need not be the default, but I'd like to see sufficient rules to make it a viable option.

I might not agree with Ari regarding 4e mechanics or naming of maneuvers, but I do agree with him here- especially as always regarding the treatment of clerics. However, the impression I got from one of the blogs was that we will be disappointed with regards to clerics. I seem to recall someone at WOTC entering a playtest game wanting a cleric along the lines Ari described above and the designer saying the design team had already committed down the martial route.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Mouseferatu said:

All of this.

Gloombunny

First Post
Greg K said:
I seem to recall someone at WOTC entering a playtest game wanting a cleric along the lines Ari described above and the designer saying the design team had already committed down the martial route.
Um, you recall that pretty wrongly. What they said is someone complained that the clerics were too martial, so they started adding other possibilities in.

Now, the fact that it got this far before they thought of doing that isn't a very encouraging sign, but at least it's something.

Wormwood

Adventurer
WyzardWhately said:
No more buying magic items. More 'name-level' stuff like towers, keeps, armies, and lands.

I disagree with the first [part, but I'll join the "more campaign-level options for high-level PCs" chorus!

heirodule

First Post
Seriously

1. "name" level and a shift to landholding/leadership

2. Weapon vs. Ac specific modifier. Yes, I played with it in AD&D 1e. I liked it. Bo sticks shouldn't work great against full plate. Picks should.

3. the ability to learn interesting things about life in the middle ages by reading the DMG.

4. The ability to learn new vocabulary words by reading the rules.

Y'know, whatever these POWER SOURCES could be, you could make a new power source be holdings of territory. The LandLord gets to attack based on how much dirt he holds as his demense. :D

Psion

Adventurer
epochrpg said:
From older editions, I'd like to see gnomes, druids, monks, and barbarians in the core. I'd like elves to be elves and eledrin to be eledrin. I'd like sucuubi to be demons. I'd like warlocks and tieflings to be optional.

That pretty well sums it up for me, if you are calling 3e an "older" edition.

Remove ads