D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
You know I'd have a little more sympathy for you around this situation... if [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] hadn't fired off accusations that weren't true about what I've posted and then ignored the fact that he provided no proof whatsoever when called out to do so... but now wants to pretend he's on the high road when it comes to you and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] with his convenient outrage.

Sorry [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] if my pointing out your inconsistencies and whatnot is offensive, but, hey, I did provide tons of examples. You chased after Pemerton for post after post to "prove" that he wasn't playing Greyhawk right and then only backed off when someone quoted chapter and verse from the books. You chased after me in the other thread telling me how I had no idea how Dragonlance canon worked, and continued to do so even after multiple posters quoted chapter and verse proving you wrong.

You've provided textbook examples of how the canon police will chase after anyone, invent and reinvent definitions to suit, all in the quest to ensure that your version of the game is the one true version of the game and that you can remain gate keeper for any possible change.

And I can say this because you don't complain about change. You only complain about changes that you don't agree with or don't like. It's all about personal preference and nothing to do with change at all.

Imaro

Legend
My point is that if you tell someone that a GMing decision they made was very poor, and then they rebut your reasoning, you don't get to hide behind "It's just my opinion, man!"
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s reason for saying my GMing decision was poor is that he wouldn't do it because his players might get confused/misled. When I point out that no one at my table was confused or misledj, and that in fact the decision had very good payoff in play, instead of saying "OK, maybe in your context the decision wasn't a poor one" Maxperson doubles down on the claim that it was poor.

That is a textbook case of projecting one's own play preferences onto someone else's situation without having any regard to the differences in that other situation. If that's not "onetruewayism", what would be?

( [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] also seems to think it's a big deal that he called the decision poor GMing but didn't call me a poor GM. I personally don't think that that is a distinction that carries a lot of weight. What is a poor GM, afterall, but someone who makes poor decisions?)

And this illustrates my issue with using personal examples... specific play groups, etc. Stating well it was a good decision for my group, even showing that it was a good decision for your group doesn't in fact prove it was a "good" decision... That is such a biased and small sample it doesn't really serve to prove much of anything. In fact one could also say that by claiming it was a "good" decision but focusing specifically on your group as the example... you're doing the same thing you are accusing [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] of... Onetruewayism. Again I don't think either of you are engaging in such but find it one of those things that can happen when a general discussion zeroes in on a specific example.

I don't agree with their being no distinction between a specific action being called out as bad DM'ing... vs. a person being a bad DM. A single bad pass doesn't make someone a bad quarterback... a single lost game doesn't make a team bad... so I very much see a distinction between the two.

Imaro

Legend
Sorry @Imaro if my pointing out your inconsistencies and whatnot is offensive, but, hey, I did provide tons of examples. You chased after Pemerton for post after post to "prove" that he wasn't playing Greyhawk right and then only backed off when someone quoted chapter and verse from the books. You chased after me in the other thread telling me how I had no idea how Dragonlance canon worked, and continued to do so even after multiple posters quoted chapter and verse proving you wrong.

You've provided textbook examples of how the canon police will chase after anyone, invent and reinvent definitions to suit, all in the quest to ensure that your version of the game is the one true version of the game and that you can remain gate keeper for any possible change.

And I can say this because you don't complain about change. You only complain about changes that you don't agree with or don't like. It's all about personal preference and nothing to do with change at all.

Yeah... that's exactly what happened...

I've yet to see these examples since you didn't reply to the posts where I asked for examples of them but hey... You keep on keepin it classy man.

I'd also like you to show me where I ever claimed I liked canon for the sake of canon?? I'll wait...

EDIT: And honestly if there's a prime example of Onetruewayism... it would be the almost unhealthy hate that you seem to foster for both canon and Planescape... like @lowkey13 said it's usually the one hollering the loudest about something whose a prime example of it... lol, you literally have made it your personal mission (by your own words not mine) to "educate" us on the evils of liking canon and liking Planescape lore... are you serious, like really are you kidding??

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Hang on [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION]. My issue with Planescape is that it bleeds into other settings. I have zero problem with Planescape in and of itself. My sole issue, and I've been pretty clear here, is that D&D has a singular setting for the planes and any changes to that are met with very strong opposition. I'm in no way saying that anyone who plays Planescape is making a poor decision or that it's badly written or anything like that. I'm arguing that it should remain distinctly within the bounds of that setting. A slightly different argument.

But, you'll have to excuse me for being confused here. I argued that adding a wild mage into a War of the Lance era Dragonlance game wasn't canon. And I was 100% right. Chapter and verse of canon says that wild mages come into the setting in the Age of Mortals, after the War of the Lance.

It's funny. The two examples - adding wild mages to DL and adding WoHS to Greyhawk are very similar. In both cases, we're adding to the setting, which, by your definition is not a change. Yet, in one case (Dragonlance) it's not a change, while in the other (Greyhawk) it is a change. [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] argued that I was wrong in the Dragonlance case as well. That I was not understanding the lore of the setting. Yet, when faced with chapter and verse of the canon, he chose to change the canon and allow that Wild Mages could be 100% canon kosher. But, in Pemerton's case, doing virtually the same thing - adding a new form of magic to a setting - is a "poor GMing decision". :erm:

So, perhaps you can understand my confusion. There seems to be a rather quantum state to the idea of what is canon and what constitutes change. The only criteria that I can see is personal preference. You like one change, don't like the other. Is there another criteria you have in mind?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Actually, in Dragonlance it is likely that one or two of the scions, powerful users of wild magic, were still kicking around that may have been able to teach someone wild magic. It wasn't listed in the back story of the gnome wild mage though, so I guess that doesn't really count.

Personally, I think that wild magic would fit well the way the Krynn gnomes approach magic.

Imaro

Legend
Actually, in Dragonlance it is likely that one or two of the scions, powerful users of wild magic, were still kicking around that may have been able to teach someone wild magic. It wasn't listed in the back story of the gnome wild mage though, so I guess that doesn't really count.

Personally, I think that wild magic would fit well the way the Krynn gnomes approach magic.

The big difference IMO is that Wild Magic exists on Krynn... It is in fact the oldest form of magic per the 3.5 Dragonlance Campaign book (pg. 93).... So I fail to see how a wild mage is introducing a "new" magic system into Krynn?? But I'm the one being accused of re-defining terms and being inconsistent.

EDIT: And as far as the gnome thing goes... Mad Gnomes are a DL staple... so there is precedence for a gnome who doesn't invent or tinker...

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
The big difference IMO is that Wild Magic exists on Krynn... It is in fact the oldest form of magic per the 3.5 Dragonlance Campaign book (pg. 93).... So I fail to see how a wild mage is introducing a "new" magic system into Krynn?? But I'm the one being accused of re-defining terms and being inconsistent.

Yup, because you're picking and choosing quotes. Wild Magic comes into Dragonlance, as a character option, in the Age of Mortals. That's the canon. You don't get to pick and choose.

Oh, and on the point about my opposition of Planescape. There's one other very important distinction to be made here. At no point have I argued that this is anything other than my personal preference. I'm not trying to prove that there is some objective basis to my argument. It's simply my own preference. Unlike you, who is redefining words in an attempt to make it look like you're making an objective judgement.

Imaro

Legend
Dragonlance Campaign Setting pg. 49

"The Graygem's influence lasted for centuries, it's powers eventually diminishing. the Scion's power waned as wizardry gained ascendance. During the Age of Might and the Age of Despair, the magic of the Scions was reduced until it nearly vanished entirely..."

So Wild Magic never completely vanishes from the world.

pemerton

Legend
On the issue of Onetrueway-ism:

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] mentioned that he plays with the Greyhawk map and makes up his own lore for it and plays Greyhawk. Most of the rest of us have disagreed and said things like, "If you change too much..." and "Multiple changes can..." and "If you change lots of things..." yada yada. His responses have been to ignore what is being told to him and fixate on single changes as if that's what we are talking about, and then he responds to his change. It's classic Strawman.
if you called it an alternate Greyhawk loosely based on the original, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
Let's put to one side that [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s characterisation "makes up his own lore for it" is just wrong (see my reply at post 163, to which [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] did not respond).

How is this not Onetrueway-ism? Ie there are proper ways to play a GH campaign, and stuff that differs from that is not GH, and can't properly be described as such. When I describe my game as a GH game, Maxperson has a problem (his word, not mine) with that.

pemerton

Legend
And this illustrates my issue with using personal examples... specific play groups, etc. Stating well it was a good decision for my group, even showing that it was a good decision for your group doesn't in fact prove it was a "good" decision.
Why not?

The point of RPGing (roughly) is to have fun playing a game in which the fiction plays some sort of central role. I included some fiction in my GH game, and it played a fairly central role, and that produced various pay-offs that I've spoken about in this thread.

That's why one post of actual play is worth a dozen posts of hypotheticals - it's from actual play examples, and linking them to particular techniques or rules or procedures of play, that we can improve our GMing.

No one thinks that someone gets better at writing by imaging writing. Or gets better at karate by imagining karate. Serious chess players study the play of the grand masters. Why would RPGing be any different?

it doesn't really serve to prove much of anything.
I wasn't trying to "prove" anything. I was providing an example of a GH campaign, and how I incorporated certain lore and mechanics found in the DL Adventures sourcebook. [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] said that doing so was a "disruption of the setting" (his words: see post 212).

In posts 225, 230 etc I explain why I don't see any disruption of the setting at all - for instance:

[sblock]
The core of GH canon is found in a a few pages at the start of the Folio boooklet: the timeline, the migration maps, the description of the history of the world including the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colourless Fire, the Sueloise and Oeridian migrations, etc.

The names of rulers weren't provided until the boxed set split the original booklet into two books and added those details (Glossography, p 17).

The names of streets in the City of GH weren't provided until the CoGH boxed set, which some people regard as silly and non-canonical in any event.

This is why I asked, upthread, what view you would take of someone who started with Grey Box FR, added details to the blank spots, and then stuck to those details either in ignorance or in disregard of subsequent publications. You said that would still count as a FR game.

Well, the vast bulk of details that you describe as "canon" were not part of the GH folio. Or even the boxed set. The Suel wizard Slerotin may have created a tunnel through the Crystalmist mountains ("Although apocryphal, . . ." Glossography p 26; "ancient Suloise folklore", Glossography p 27). What happened to his body after he died? Where did he die? As far as the boxed set is concerned, who knows? So when I place Slerotin as a mummy in the catacombs of Hardby, reinterred from a pyramid in the Bright Desert, how is that a disreard of canon?

Here is the total lore on Hardby in the boxed set:

[T]he heir [of the Landgraf of the Selintan] was wed to the daughter of the Gynarch (Despotrix) of Hardby, a sorceress of no small repute. Their descendants ruled a growing domain . . . In 498 it [Greyhawk] was declared a free and independent city, ruling a territory from Hardby . . . to the Nyr Dyv . . . These holdings have been lost over the intervening decades . . . The Despotrix of Hardby now pays tribute to Greyhawk to avoid being absorbed into the growing city state once again . . . Portions of the [Wild Coast] have been under the control of . . . the Gynarch of Hardby . . . at various times. (pp 23, 25, 41 of the Boxed Set Guide to the WoG).​

So when I give Hardby catacombs, how is that a disregard of canon? When I decide, as described above, that Slerotin's mummy has been interred there, how is that a disregard of canon? And if in another campaign I decide that Hardby has no catacombs, how is that a disregard of canon either? Why do I have to fill in the blanks the same way every campaign?

<snip>

WotC thinks you can have Purple Dragon Knights in Krynn. You just have to relabel them Knights of Solamnia! So on this occasion I'll trust WotC over you.

The Knights of Holy Shielding are a chivalric and (obviously, given their name) religious order of knights. The folio doesn't tell us which god they serve (later books specify it as Heironeous; before I bought those books, as best I recall I had already specified it as St Cuthbert). What better way to give the Knights some mechanical heft, plus flesh out their rules and so forth, than to borrow the Oath and the Measure from Dragonlance Adventures?

What canon is that changing? How is fleshing out the details of a chivalric order by borrowing from one of the most mechanically and fictionally detailed mechanical orders in AD&D altering, as opposed to fleshing out?

As far as the moons are concerned, everyone knows that they are called Celene (the handmaiden) and Luna. The presence of a third, invisible black moon doesn't contradict anything. The presence of wizards whose power is tied to the phases of the moon doesn't contradict anything. The folio glossography actually has a rather lengthy discussion (relative to its overall size) of astronomical phenomena; and there are at least two GH deities of stellar/astronomical phenomena (Celestian and Pholtus). So how do you possibly take it that it is stated, or implied, that Oerth contains no orders of moon-dependant mages?

Canon establishes two known moons. Two visible moons. Nothing says there can't be a third one, small and orbiting rapidly like a modern-day satellite about the earth.

<snip>

WoHS in my GH campaign aren't tied to Krynn moons. They're tied to GH moons. And in my GH game, also fairly obviously, magic can come from moons. Why shouldn't it? Nothing says it can't, and the discussion of astronomy in the Glossography suggests that it can!

I'm quoting from p 4 of the larger book from the boxed set, because it is readier to hand than the folio booklet, but the text is identical:

The heavens are far more important and intersting [than lands beyond Oerik]. We must study the stars . . . When both Mistress [Luna] and Handmaiden [Celene] are full, things of great portent are likely to ocur . . .​

To me, that strongly implies that the moons do exert influence over events. By deciding, for one of my GH games, that that influence is channelled by an ancient Sueloise order of wizards who survive and flourish in the Great Kingdom (which has a high degree of Suel influence - see p 14 of the same book), I am adding but not contradicting anything. (Neither text nor theme - how are moon-channelling wizards of an ancient tradition possibly at odds with GH's S&S theme?)

<snip>

I have no idea why you think pillars - which are nowhere mentioned in the core GH books - are more canonical than moons, which are called out as rather special and having an important astrological influence. But in my case I went for moons. Including adding one. I think a black, invisible moon is more interesting than pillars, myself.
GH has a clear implied distinction between the central (primarily Oeridian, feudal, chivalric) regions (Furyondy, Veluna, Knights of the Hart, cities of Greyhawk, Dyvers and Verbobonc, Knights of Holy Shielding, etc) and the Oeridian/Suel east (the Great Kingdom and it satellites of current and former provinces), which I have tended to present as having a roughly Roman/Byzantine complexion.

Having a distinct order of wizards from the east that contrasts with GH's wizard's guild - and in respect of which Nyrond forms something of a cultural buffer or region of overlaps - seems to me to be consistent with that, not at odds with it. And if one wants a mysterious order of wizards with an ancient past, why make something up when I can borrow a clever idea already worked out, with a superficially neat (although, I can testify from bitter experience, painful in actual play) power-cycle mechanic?

How would it preserve the integrity of GH in any fashion to not use the moons - which are one of the more distinctive GHisms - and to instead use something like pillars? How would changing their name from WoHS make any difference to this? What is anti-GH about having WoHS? What does that contradict in setting tone or content?
[/sblock]I've explained why, as I have personally encountered and used GH in my RPGing, my additions were not disruptive. Suppose for the sake of argument that no one else in the world would ever experience things the same way. Suppose that I'm a total outlier and that [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] is the norm. How does that change anything about the logic or quality of my GMing decisions here, given that they were decisions made by me for my game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads