• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whats better XX resistance or bonus to save vs XX?

melkoriii

First Post
In picking a race that gives a 5 or 10 resistance to say Fire or one that gives a +1 and +1/per 5 character lvls to save vs. fire.

What is better IYO?

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
I just ran some numbers, considering that energy damage is usually the Reflex-and-save-for-half kind vs. a 5 resistance.

At level 1, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 200 points of damage.

At level 5, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 100 points of damage.

At level 10, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 67 points of damage.

At level 15, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 50 points of damage.

At level 20, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 40 points of damage.

Maitre D

Sejs

First Post
I'm more of a fan of the (Element) Resistance: (#), myself.

Particularly Fire Resistance 6+. Nothing like not being inconvienanced by being lit on fire.

^_^

melkoriii

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
I just ran some numbers, considering that energy damage is usually the Reflex-and-save-for-half kind vs. a 5 resistance.

At level 1, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 200 points of damage.

At level 5, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 100 points of damage.

At level 10, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 67 points of damage.

At level 15, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 50 points of damage.

At level 20, the bonus-to-save option is better if you get hit by spells that do more than 40 points of damage.

Maitre D

So it looks like the save is only better after about lvl 12 or so when spells will be doing 12dX damage or so.

Thanks very much.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Nope. Save probably becomes better after level 15. 12dx damage is probably 12d6 which translates to an average of 42. You need three more levels and 15d6 to get an average of 51.5

Of course, that chart excludes evasion which probably makes the bonus to saves superior from level 5 or so on--but only if you have the ability.

melkoriii said:

So it looks like the save is only better after about lvl 12 or so when spells will be doing 12dX damage or so.

Thanks very much.

Remove ads