What's Neat in Texas?

Davek

First Post
Nyaricus said:
It is comparable in size to Winnipeg, and I felt quite at home here.

It's funny but I always feel like I'm at home in San Antonio as well, but in actuality SA is about 3 - 3.5 times the size of Winnipeg. It just has the same spread out, small skyline type of feel. That and the 'No Concealed Guns in this Establishment' type of stickers everywhere ;)

I go down to SA once a year for training so I'm starting to know my way around there somewhat.

Torm

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
Texas is so big that it would help - even be essential - to know where in the state you will be?
Very true. For instance, I've heard that in the deeper parts of the state, stargazing is a must - the stars at night are big and bright.

Theron

Explorer
Torm said:
Very true. For instance, I've heard that in the deeper parts of the state, stargazing is a must - the stars at night are big and bright.

Actually, the best stargazing experience I've ever had in Texas was way out in the western edge of the state, near El Paso. Three AM on a moonless night in February. I got out of the car to stretch my legs, looked up and felt like I was going to fall into the sky.

Nyaricus

First Post
Davek said:
It's funny but I always feel like I'm at home in San Antonio as well, but in actuality SA is about 3 - 3.5 times the size of Winnipeg. It just has the same spread out, small skyline type of feel. That and the 'No Concealed Guns in this Establishment' type of stickers everywhere ;)

I go down to SA once a year for training so I'm starting to know my way around there somewhat.
Hey Dave :)

Huh, I thought it was only like 1.5 or 2 times :p Anyway, yes, it does. The downtown in particular was a similar size to Winnipeg's. I liked it there :)

Didn't notice any of those stickers there though :uhoh:

cheers,
--N

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Nyaricus said:
It went by very fast!

We drove down in two days, arriving in Galveston in the dark of the second day.

That day, we toured the town and the beaches, checked out some stores, and had brekkie at an IHOP (first time, and I was really impressed with some TexMex-style omelet I had, at your suggestion).

We then drove up to Katy, through Sugar Land (neat shops! Stopped in at a Half-Priced Books and DLCS for 13 bucks!), which is just west of Houston, and stayed at my dad's girlfriend's son's house. His name is Rick and man is that guy loaded :D Kinda cool he's a kinda-sorta half-brother to me, ha ha.

That was the 3rd day. On the fourth, we went to Katy MIlls Mall for a short while, and then we went to San Antonio and checked out the city a bit (a short bit down into the Riverwalk and surrounding area), but light failed us quickly.
I had no clue you were spending so much time in the Houston area! You drove right by my house to go from Sugar Land to Katy! And, I spend a lot of time in Sugar Land! If you were there on a Wednesday, you could've joined my game. ;)

And, I go to that HPB a lot, too. What's DLCS?

Jdvn1

Theron said:
Actually, the best stargazing experience I've ever had in Texas was way out in the western edge of the state, near El Paso. Three AM on a moonless night in February. I got out of the car to stretch my legs, looked up and felt like I was going to fall into the sky.
I've heard the farther west you go, the better (if you're going to drive the 10-12 hours to El Paso, why not go to New Mexico? ;) ).

If stargazing's your thing, there's an observatory in SW Houston, past Sugar Land. :)

Jdvn1 the ex-vice-president and treasurer of an astronomy club

Theron

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
I've heard the farther west you go, the better (if you're going to drive the 10-12 hours to El Paso, why not go to New Mexico? ;) ).

We were coming FROM New Mexico at the time. Had to get back to a place that doesn't put beans in its chili. :)

Jdvn1

Theron said:
We were coming FROM New Mexico at the time. Had to get back to a place that doesn't put beans in its chili. :)
Ah, you can find bean chili here.

Doesn't mean they know what they're talking about, though. ;)

My brother went camping in the white sand deserts, and got lost in the stars there. It's just so far away from civilization. I wanna go!

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Torm said:

Yeah. It's kind of like R'lyeh that way.

Something I forgot to mention was Six Flag. Its a great big amusement park and there are two in Texas, one near San Antonio and the other is near Houston.

There is also a nice SeaWorld.

And chili without beans as sacrilege, blasphemy... sacrilegious blasphemy!

There are several towns around Texas that have “chili” festivals at different times of the year.

Jdvn1

I think the only Six Flags in Texas are in San Antonio and El Paso. The Houston one (it was in Houston) closed down like a year or two ago.

Remove ads