• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's the dump-stat of the modern day work-force?

Keldryn

Adventurer
For the modern office worker? Strength and Constitution, unless they make a special effort to exercise and stay in shape.

For the IT industry? The above, plus Charisma. Charisma is definitely the geek's primary dump-stat. :cool:

Judging by the majority of video and PC game forums, you'd think that most people had an average Charisma and Wisdom of about 6.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Either hamburgers are a poison, or we just have crappy Cons.

Speak for yourself; I can't even remember the last time I caught a cold!

Modern dump stat? The snarky response is Int, but I think I have to go with Wis on this one.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Wystan said:
Asmor said it three above you.... :)
Well obviously, wisdom is my dump stat since I can't see something right infront of my face.

EDIT: "Wait, I think I just failed a Listen check." -Belkar

fba827

Adventurer
(crap net connection died mid-response - so this answer isn't as descriptive as i originally typed it).

Based on the technology business industry professionals that I deal with, my choice for observed dump stat is Con.

Reasoning:
Str - A good number of people are large enough to be able to put it force, etc
Int - The developers are usually smart (less so, or smart in different ways as you approach the operations/managers)
Wis - A couple people have common sense or just a good sense of intuition or reading people
Cha - I almost said this one, but then when I take sales staff in to account, a good number of them do have good Cha
Dex - A person can't type as fast as tech-heads without having some amount of manual dexterity...

Hence, Con - not so much because of sickness but more so from lack endurance/sustainability in any force they exert.... WAY too many people I come in to contact with get winded from taking three flights of stairs instead of the elevator.

And why isn't this a poll like everything else

Last edited:

awayfarer

First Post
krissbeth said:
The MBTA has convinced me that everything is a dump stat nowadays.

But there are such charming people on the red line! Like that guy I saw who put his hands in front of his eyes like he was holding binoculars. He stared and giggled at everyone.

The MBTA, thats entertainment!

In all seriousness I'd go with strength. We're a very, very lazy society.

Andre

First Post
Ebon Shar said:
Not to get into a discussion of the merits of religion, but I think that you pointing out the existence of religious beliefs as evidence of low wisdom is preposterous. Regardless of anyone's particular religious beliefs, I've found piety often reflects great wisdom. Just like anything, though, fundamentalism and extremism often do reflect a distinct lack of wisdom. Just my 2 cents.

I did not intend to equate religious beliefs with low wisdom (or as I was using the term, common sense), and apologize if my statements came across that way. I was merely pointing out that very often individuals will hold on to beliefs long after they have been shown to be false by experience, experiment, and analysis. While I agree that many extremists (whether religious or not) share this trait, I believe it's a very human trait which we all possess to one degree or another.

CruelSummerLord

First Post
Well, it depends by profession. Speaking as someone who's passionately interested in politics, when it comes to the political blogosphere and message boards, it's definitely Charisma.

I'm very interested in politics and political history, but I'm not at all involved in the blogosphere and other online political discussions, mainly because so much of it consists of childish insults, spitting venom at anyone who dares to disagree with you, and people generally acting like egotistical blowhards.

I don't mind honest and rational discussion, but most political bloggers that I've seen simply bicker with each other and have all sorts of petty insults if you dare to question their wisdom, often resorting to personal attacks rather than honest criticism.

I'm going to go with the cynical answer and say Wisdom.

Strength and Constitution would be possibilities for your average white collar worker though. I don't do a whole lot of heavy lifting in my job. Lifting boxes when we shift desks for one reason or another is probably the most lifting I do.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads