What's the dump-stat of the modern day work-force?

Celebrim

Legend
Kobold Avenger said:
Out of the 6 abilities scores, which one would you say is the dump-stat of most of those working today, in just about any industry? Or even certain specific industries?

Dexterity. Constitution very close at second. Strength probably a more distant third.

Average first world (male) inhabitant probably is something like S10, D8, C8, I12, W10, Ch12. Adjust things slightly for average females.

Although its easy to be cynical about modern society, in my experience it tends to strongly reinforce mental and social development. People are forced to get an education, forced to rely on themselves, and forced into a large variaty of social situations where they must be at least somewhat outgoing in front of strangers.

It's easy to look around at the folly of your fellow man and imagine that all this stupidity and vulgarity must somehow be unique to a particular place and time. But, I think that just shows you haven't been around enough. Go anywhere. Find stupidity. Urban, rural, rich, poor, 1st world or 3rd world. It's all the same. It's nearly as dependable as death and more dependable than taxes. Likewise, for all the wisdom and intelligence of our ancestors, they were largely as unbearable of stupid ignorant dolts as we are ourselves.

But if anything, our modern society is uniquely literate - even down to the lowest classes - uniquely broadly exposed, almost uniquely cosmopolitan, and encourages a uniquely bold and independent spirit compared to any other culture you could compare it to. On the whole, 'civilized' man - unbearably ignorant and at the same time proud of it - is not nearly on average as ignorant as the alternatives. If anything, our society is uniquely self-reflective and self-critical. Most cultures aren't even aware just how dumb that they are.

However, the flip side of that is the majority of those around you aren't nearly as fit as either thier ancestors or thier neighbors in less 'advantaged' cultures. The average third world kid can run you into the ground, and shimmy up a tree with ninja like agility. We could all do that, except that we've sat too long at desks getting educated (or paid) and eaten far too much food for the actual physical effort we are making. Typically, the first thing to go is your speed and flexibility. After that, your endurance. After that your raw strength.

The flip side of this is that the atheletic class (people going to the gym every night) are probably the fittest people who've ever lived on the planet (this is especially true of atheletic women). The Dutch (for example) are the tallest people who've ever lived on the planet. We know how to be fit, but we don't (or can't) bother.

monboesen

Explorer
However, the flip side of that is the majority of those around you aren't nearly as fit as either thier ancestors or thier neighbors in less 'advantaged' cultures. The average third world kid can run you into the ground, and shimmy up a tree with ninja like agility. We could all do that, except that we've sat too long at desks getting educated (or paid) and eaten far too much food for the actual physical effort we are making. Typically, the first thing to go is your speed and flexibility. After that, your endurance. After that your raw strength.

Exactly. And what's even worse is that a lot of people don't even realize what their physical capability should be like and thus think they are in decent shape when the truth is that it is something like 50% of what it should be.

People who have to use their body all day long for hard physical tasks are shockingly strong and endurable compared to those who don't.

S'mon

Legend
Rugult said:
Coming entirely from a call center background. Charisma.

I swear, people can just be so rude nowadays. Of course Wisdom and Intelligence might factor into some of that hatred. :-D

No, we just hate you guys too. :p Spam phone calls are really annoying!

S'mon

Legend
The truthful serious answer is STR. Most jobs used to require physical STR, now most don't. With a large proportion of the modern work force being female and/or non-manual the median STR is now much lower than it used to be.

Derro

First Post
Hey, all you guys that say Charisma... you think maybe it's you. :p

I'm just sayin'.

I vote for Con.

As you can see, mine was most likely Wisdom.

med stud

First Post
In the Western world, I'd say Con. Lots of people are obese, smoke and have no more exercise than going from the front door to their car.

I suspect most people doesn't have too high scores in Str or Dex either, but since people are so much larger now I wouldn't say that Str is a dumpstat. It is a close second, though.

Generico

First Post
I think the better question is, which stat isn't a dump stat. Here's how I see it working...

8s across the board, and a +2 to one stat based on position.

If you're in white collar labor, +2 Dex or Int. If you're in blue collar labor +2 Str or Con. If you're in politics or management, +2 charisma. If you're in science, +2 Int. If you're retired, +2 wisdom, -2 all other stats.

Kaodi

Hero
I think you are all missing the point. Since a 10/11 is by definition, AVERAGE, the answer is that it is the numbering that has changed, not the scores. ;)

On a less meta note, however, it is naive to think that Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma are somehow less prevalent now than they were at any point in the past. If people are dumb now, it means everyone is the past was just as dumb (on the whole, of course). Strength and Constitution are the only ones that are debatable. Of course, D&D does not model fitness well, if at all. But I suppose you could say that both Str and Constitution are on the decline, for some of the above reasons. Do not forget, however, that Constitution also takes into account resistance to poison and disease, which is arguable up in some respects and down in others. The fact that we are being continuously poisoned to some degree by our very environment means that our Constitution is probably hurting as a result of being damaged over time...

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Derro said:
Hey, all you guys that say Charisma... you think maybe it's you. :p

I'm just sayin'.

I vote for Con.

As you can see, mine was most likely Wisdom.

Derro, those of us who have offered Charisma as the dump stat are those that work in public relations or otherwise have jobs that take us into contact with a great variety of people. If anyone is capable of make that judgement, it is those like us who have the opportunity to interact with many people on a daily basis. We are not saying Charisma is not OUR dump stat as well, that is a judgement for others.

Remove ads