What's your most anticipated game for 2014?

dm4hire

Explorer
What game are you looking forward to seeing released in 2014?

I'm waiting for Firefly myself.

Venthrac

First Post
Great question! I'd have to go with D&D next. I really liked the direction the rules were going in during the beta.

I also can't think of any other RPG releases in 2014 that I'm very interested in. Maybe someone could post a list of possible candidates and help job our memories.

dm4hire

Explorer
Great question! I'd have to go with D&D next. I really liked the direction the rules were going in during the beta.

I also can't think of any other RPG releases in 2014 that I'm very interested in. Maybe someone could post a list of possible candidates and help job our memories.
Good reply and I or someone should compile one. Short list in the mean time:

D&D Next
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space 50th Anniversary Edition
Firefly
N.E.W./O.L.D.
The Strange
TimeWatch

I know what mine is!
I got it on the short list. :p

Evenglare

Adventurer
Probably Next. That being said, I'm not really excited for anything but if I had to choose... Now when they come out with Dragonlance Campaign setting, hell yeah I'll be excited

Venthrac

First Post
Other than Doctor Who and Firefly, those names are not very familiar other than I think I saw one of them on Kickstarter once.

I admit though, I tend to lean a little toward the licensed stuff, as those are the worlds I most want to play in :)

Oh and, one more for the list... Age of Rebellion.

TrippyHippy

Adventurer
Well, I'll be receiving my kickstarter package of Call Of Cthulhu 7th Edition sometime in the late spring I hope, along with a Glorantha package and the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who book around the same time I hope. However, they're not really new games as such. Ditto D&D 5th edition. RuneQuest does have an interesting Luther Arkwright setting coming out (an alternative reality/time-travel setting, based on a graphic novel), and I'm keen to continue buying RuneQuest supplements anyway with the quality of writing they continue to have, and Traveller also. There should be a new edition of Mage: The Ascension this year too.

In terms of absolutely new games, I'm not sure there's anything that grabs me much yet. Star Wars and Firefly are fine and dandy, but Traveller tends to satisfy me for my sci-fi wants really (and Firefly always struck me as a near adaptation of Traveller for TV, while I was so-so about Serenity). Timewatch too, as a genre, is well covered by Doctor Who (which I have already). The Strange didn't really do it for me, in their kickstarter campaign (seemed a bit too sentimental about the creators in the promotional video) and N.E.W./O.L.D just seems a bit gimmicky. So in all, it's all just new editions of old games or expansion supplements for me - unless I get surprised which could always happen.

Venthrac

First Post
Yeah, I hear you Trippy. There is a lot fo stuff coming out that feels like variations on a familiar theme.

What grabbed me abuto Edge of the Empire was less the setting and more than innovating mechanics. If you haven't played it, it's worth a look if for no other reason than the interesitng narrative dice mechanics that promote a sense of collaborative storytelling and improvisation.

Ryan Huffaker

First Post
What about this one?

Freedomsworn is a table-top RPG set in the fantasy/steam-punk world of Avantorn. The first of its kind, Freedomsworn is designed to enhance the table-top RPG experience by working WITH your mobile device, instead of against it, all the while remaining a game that is actually played around a physical table with dice and miniatures and so forth.

Features (Beta Version):
- Original rules system.
- Original setting, with incredible room for growth.
- Intuitive PC and NPC management.
- 500+ Character Option card library, with lots of room for expansion.
- 250+ NPC template cards, just waiting for a little description.
- Dice-rolling feature (just in case you forgot your dice)
- Ad-powered (No in-app purchases. Ever.)
- Free online manual (freedomsworn.com) with in-app access.

Developer Goals:
- Enable connectivity for multiple devices over the internet
- Live tracking of initiative (with optional timers)
- Enhanced PC and NPC management
- Character portraits (imported from your own picture gallery)
- Advanced campaign/party management
- General content expansion/improvement
- Enable content customization (design your own cards!)
- Plugins for independently-published modules and expansions

KingSoft

First Post
Freedomsworn looks very interesting. What release date are you shooting for?

Also good job on the webpage, Ryan, there is a lot of info about the game (both fluff and crunch) and it is well organized. WotC could learn a thing or too from you. On the other hand, I guess you can't have a RPG advertised as tech-friendly and have a poorly designed webpage :)

Ryan Huffaker

First Post
Didn't sound too bad until you hit that line. Not sure I or a lot of other gamers want to use an interface in a game where we're constantly forced to look at ads.
Good point! The only ads I have are down at the bottom, but it would probably be best to leave that out entirely. Thanks!

TrippyHippy

Adventurer
How so? All the publicity is literally me just posting stuff I'm doing, so if I'm doing it wrong please let me know!
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. It's just that there are already a lot of generic systems out there - and beyond the naming convention and marketing design, I'm not sure what the game(s) offer that is new. Enlighten me.

Olaf the Stout

Adventurer
For me, my top 3 would be revisions of current games.

1. D&D 5E
2. Feng Shui (I'm assuming there will be a Kickstarter later this year)
3. Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4