• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Whedeon-philes] What if Joss ran a D&D game?

Wraith Form

Explorer
The title says it all. What if he ran a D&D game? What would the themes and plots be concerned with? Where would the humor come in? And how many ultra-powerful, angsty teen female heroes would he have? ;)

I specifically chose D&D because he's done sci fi and modern horror...fantasy seemed like the next logical genre. Plus, I might run a Whedonesque D&D game in the near future and would love to brainstorm some ideas!

Let's hear your ideas and opinions!

...And if you don't know who Joss Whendon is, I pity you.

Wraith Form

Explorer
Someone you love will die. It will be preceded by a hilariously funny gaming session.

Right, but give some detail. Immerse yourself into the Whedon mind-verse and describe what you think he'd do. I know, I know--you're not Joss. But pretend you are. What kind of stuff do you run?

roguerouge

First Post
Home brewed adventure path with side quests interspersed. There'd either be 4 players to start (Angel and Buffy) with more added as the sessions went on, one player (Dr. Horrible), or 7 and a DMPC (Firefly). You'd have extreme variety in genre: war, comedy, high magic, grim n gritty, horror, and relationship melodrama. Players would be very careful with their character backgrounds. There'd be warforged NPCs.

And his mom would cancel the game so that she could watch American Idol.

maddman75

First Post
The most important part would be that the game would accept the tropes of the D&D genre, be willing to laugh at them, and then take them with deadly seriousness.

The village where they live would be beset by monsters every game. Orcs, trolls, dragons, whatever - they would come with regular frequency. Fighting them off would simply be part of the everyday grind. At the same time there would be a lot of emphasis on character development and people living day to day.

Judging from Buffy, there would be a lot of symbolism and allegory as well. The monsters they fight would represent troubles that real world people deal with. Maybe a doppelganger replacing a lover would let them explore a painful breakup, where one partner just doesn't seem like same person any more. Going out to penetrate the orcs lair and slay their chieftan becomes a tale about striking out on your own.

Also, it would be incredibly funny

Dragonblade

Adventurer
One or more female characters will be ridiculously uber powerful.

Occasionally characters (both heroic and villainous) will die in a sudden, shocking and unexpected manner. Especially right after a moment of triumph, humor, or happiness.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Oh, and characters thought dead, or minor characters that haven't been seen in a long time will suddenly re-appear in dramatic fashion. Usually such a scene will reveal them to be either a major villain (even if they were considered good before), or they will appear to save the day (even if they may have been considered evil before).

Wraith Form

Explorer
Oh, and characters thought dead, or minor characters that haven't been seen in a long time will suddenly re-appear in dramatic fashion. Usually such a scene will reveal them to be either a major villain (even if they were considered good before), or they will appear to save the day (even if they may have been considered evil before).

Ahh, yes, DMNPCs. Gotta love 'em.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads