• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Dioltach

Legend
Just gave myself a pat on the back for recognising the castle at the start of the episode. (Segovia, in case anyone's interested. There's also a Roman aquaduct in the centre of the town, and it's at the foot of a mountain range that offers some of the most enjoyable hiking in Spain.)

Yeah. I'm wondering, though, if that light we see is the weave or if it's a byproduct of the magic being done, and we aren't really seeing the weave. Remember, the weaves were the various elements and spirit all woven together in specific ways, not simply streamers of light.
That much light only happened in Nyneave's case, and she's an untrained wilder who was presumably creating extraneous light by accident.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'm looking forward to meeting Lews Therin.
Logain talking about "hearing the voices of hundreds of Dragons who came before him" (or something to that effect) was good foreshadowing for this.

I agree with all of that. My only issue is that Logain in the books is nearly as strong as the Dragon Reborn, which makes him stronger than Nynaeve, not much weaker like Moiraine implies in her talk with him.
I'm pretty sure if there's anything that's not going to survive the transition, it's relative strength of characters in the One Power. They're not going to have "Nynaeve is the strongest female channeler currently living, outside the Forsaken" and "Nynaeve is also outclassed by 10 other dudes you don't know or have a passing familiarity with". There's just no way they're going to use some of the book tropes like "Men are generally stronger in the One Power, but women are better at cooperating and linking." I mean, we're 4 episodes in and I don't think they've used the words saidar and saidin yet.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Logain talking about "hearing the voices of hundreds of Dragons who came before him" (or something to that effect) was good foreshadowing for this.

I'm pretty sure if there's anything that's not going to survive the transition, it's relative strength of characters in the One Power. They're not going to have "Nynaeve is the strongest female channeler currently living, outside the Forsaken" and "Nynaeve is also outclassed by 10 other dudes you don't know or have a passing familiarity with". There's just no way they're going to use some of the book tropes like "Men are generally stronger in the One Power, but women are better at cooperating and linking." I mean, we're 4 episodes in and I don't think they've used the words saidar and saidin yet.
I don't care if they dial up the power of women to make things more equal in that regard. Logain is still almost as strong as The Dragon Reborn and there was a reason for that. It's his drop in power that I'm objecting to.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't care if they dial up the power of women to make things more equal in that regard. Logain is still almost as strong as The Dragon Reborn and there was a reason for that. It's his drop in power that I'm objecting to.
Well, they do want to make Nynaeve look like a real contender for Dragon Reborn, so her outclassing Logain (who is established as being much more powerful than the any of the other Aes Sedai present) makes sense with that narrative constraint in place.

And I'm reasonably sure Logain's importance, like a ton of the secondary characters, is going to be truncated. He's here to be an object lesson on the madness of male channeling, the horror of gentling/stilling, and the political upheaval a false Dragon can cause. I don't think he's going to crop up to be an important character in Season 4 and 5 like how he kept being utilized in the latter books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think he's going to crop up to be an important character in Season 4 and 5 like how he kept being utilized in the latter books.
On the contrary, I believe they enhanced his Season 1 presence precisely because he is going to be more of a consistently recurring character than in the books.

Remove ads