Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

Season 2 is going to be lit.
I'm just wondering how much this episode is going to mess with show-only fans. I'm assuming we'll cold open with the Age of Legends, meaning suddenly everything is sci-fi, which will definitely throw them off. Then, we'll presumably end with a Seanchan cliffhanger, which, again will leave them wondering just what the heck is going on, and that they'll have to wait until next season to find out. Then again, that's pretty much how book readers react when the Seanchan appear...

what is going on with Nynaeve? One minute shes angry (shes almost always angry), taps into powers that nobody really blinks at and then stalks Lan. Was all of this in the book?

What is Loial? is his power the ability to navigate the portals?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm just wondering how much this episode is going to mess with show-only fans. I'm assuming we'll cold open with the Age of Legends, meaning suddenly everything is sci-fi, which will definitely throw them off. Then, we'll presumably end with a Seanchan cliffhanger, which, again will leave them wondering just what the heck is going on, and that they'll have to wait until next season to find out. Then again, that's pretty much how book readers react when the Seanchan appear...
The Return is pretty shocking, I'd say that was about when it became apparent this story was going to get weird.
what is going on with Nynaeve? One minute shes angry (shes almost always angry), taps into powers that nobody really blinks at and then stalks Lan. Was all of this in the book?

What is Loial? is his power the ability to navigate the portals?
She has several anger management issues: indeed, her issue with Channeling is that she can only do it when she is angry, so she has to work herself up when she wants to accomplish anything. The novels make the Lan/Nyneave relationship a little slower and subtle, though it moves into high romance.

She's my favorite.

Loial is an Ogier. Think if you combined Elves and Dwarves.

Heh. Weirdly I'm looking forward to hearing how they do the lisping noble Seanchan accents. If they do them that way that is.

TheSword

Legend
I think the Seanchan represent the series’ other great existential threat to balance the ‘ultimate evil’ of the Dark One/Forsaken/Trollocks. It helps that several Seanchan characters are really likeable. While at the same time the Seanchan do things that are absolutely abhorrent. I’ve always found Egwene’s Seanchan scenes to be both extremely emotional and horrific. “I will not be caged again!”

I’m fascinated to see how they approach them in series 2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, finished Chapter 37 of Eye of the World as read by Rosamund Pike, a bit over 20 hours of reading in: just about caught up to Episode 4 of the show, though I'm in the part of the narrative that basically got glossed over entirely so a bit hard to say.

I am really convinced on this go through that a faithful cinematic adaptation is not strictly impossible, but is highly impractical and motivated likely to ever happen (yhe best approach, probably, would be long form animation). Gives me amlot of peace looming at the show as it's own thing seperate from the tremendously detailed and intricate books.

Well, Episode 8 was pretty good, especially Rand's and Ishy's psychological battle at the Eye. Fain was in fine form. A few changes are eyebrow raising, but we'll have to see how they play out in Season 2. The Seanchan cliffhanger was suitably intimidating, although they really needed to show more people being the victim of that attack...

And I really need to stay away from Reddit immediately after each episodes. I've never seen so many people miss the point of certain things, as well as hysterically over-reacting to something they thought happened, but obviously hadn't. And book purists with their massive bullet point lists of each and every change and how each and every one ruins everything forever can go rot in the pits of Shayol Ghul....

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, Episode 8 was pretty good, especially Rand's and Ishy's psychological battle at the Eye. Fain was in fine form. A few changes are eyebrow raising, but we'll have to see how they play out in Season 2. The Seanchan cliffhanger was suitably intimidating, although they really needed to show more people being the victim of that attack...

And I really need to stay away from Reddit immediately after each episodes. I've never seen so many people miss the point of certain things, as well as hysterically over-reacting to something they thought happened, but obviously hadn't. And book purists with their massive bullet point lists of each and every change and how each and every one ruins everything forever can go rot in the pits of Shayol Ghul....
Yeah, the Reddit discourse is more toxic than normal.

Yeah, the Reddit discourse is more toxic than normal.
Yeah, I know that from long experience there. But after several weeks of the same thing immediately after each episode's release, I needed to vent lol.

On the other hand, reading the non-book reader threads there, I was 100% spot on with my predictions that the sci-fi opening and the Seanchan cliffhanger would completely blow their minds.

Remove ads