Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

One thing I just noticed - if they're going with the books interpretation of the three oaths and Moirane has been stilled, then she can now lie, and was in fact lying to Rand when she said she couldn't.

TheSword

Legend
I agree 100% with @Maxperson about the episodes likes and dislikes.

However there are a couple of things that really trouble me, and make me think the series may not get very far past series two.

• The characters all take themselves very very seriously. There is almost no humor, and when someone does tell a joke it’s usually very bleak, or slightly off. Like a joke that they won’t have to worry about something if they’re all dead. Comfortable humor is essential in making characters human and likeable. It doesn’t have to be all the time, but there should be some. Look at the difference this makes between Thor 2 and Thor 3.

• The series flits around and doesn’t explain stuff. There’s not even any concept of space or location because of the jumping around. It makes it very hard to understand what’s going on. The mumbling diction of a lot of the characters means explanations are often one liners tossed into conversations that get missed. Maybe individually there would be far too much to ever explain thoroughly, but in which case either slow down or don’t put it in.

• Several characters still aren’t very likeable. This is kinda linked to my first point. Too many are either surly like Lord Agelmar, or in the still in the ‘Luke Skywalker before Obi-wan dies’ phase. Complaining and whining about things. I find that gets tired fast. I’m worried that people who don’t know the story won’t care about characters.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think these are the three main reasons why it’s getting three stars and not four or five.

NB. I really hate that if Nyneave burnt herself out that she could be healed by Egwene. That really rankled probably more so than anything else. It also seemed that the destruction of the trollocs at the end was far too powerful.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
NB. I really hate that if Nyneave burnt herself out that she could be healed by Egwene.
I'm not entirely sure that she was. Visually, it didn't really seem like the power was originating from Egwene, so much as she was triggering Nynaeve to heal herself. Which I know we're told earlier that Aes Sedai can't do, but then again it's Nynaeve.

Ryujin

Legend
My one gripe is that someone who wasn't strong enough to become an Aes Sedai was channeling the power of at least two women who were more than powerful enough, on their own, to make that rank. I don't use 24 gauge wire to carry 220 volt, 3 phase.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
NB. I really hate that if Nyneave burnt herself out that she could be healed by Egwene. That really rankled probably more so than anything else.
They changed it to damage and death, not stilling, which means healing the damage is all it takes to get better.
It also seemed that the destruction of the trollocs at the end was far too powerful.
It was supposed to be Rand that did it all by himself and the book describes it even more powerfully I believe.

TheSword

Legend
I don't remember it being confusing.
I remember it being very straightforward. Rand fights Aginor for the raw power in the Eye of the World then confronts Baalzamon. He then uses that power to destroy the trollocs at Tarwins Gap. Earning the loyalty of the Shienarans (and the border landers) for the Dragon reborn.

…or in this case the Dragon Reborn reborn.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
So, finished Chapter 37 of Eye of the World as read by Rosamund Pike, a bit over 20 hours of reading in: just about caught up to Episode 4 of the show, though I'm in the part of the narrative that basically got glossed over entirely so a bit hard to say.

I am really convinced on this go through that a faithful cinematic adaptation is not strictly impossible, but is highly impractical and motivated likely to ever happen (yhe best approach, probably, would be long form animation). Gives me amlot of peace looming at the show as it's own thing seperate from the tremendously detailed and intricate books.
I don't have the book on me, but Rand and Mat just arrived in Four Kings, so I think in the same general region.

Anyhow, while I agree with the gist of what you say in the second paragraph, I think it is possible to have a "faithful cinematic adaptation" while still simplifying it for the screen. Meaning, cutting out Baerlon is OK, so too Mordeth. But I tend to take more issue with removing elements that bring the world and story to life, like the non-existence of the White Bridge in the show. It isn't necessary for the story, but brings the world to life a bit.

I also don't like little changes like Loial not opening the Ways, or no mention of the word "ta'veren" (although that may still be coming).
This episode was both great and jarring, like episode 1. Some of the changes weren't as smooth or in my mind necessary like they have been in episodes 2-7. Also, the beginning scene where Lew Therin is talking to the Amyrlin Seat has a minor error in it which really doesn't take away from how good that scene was. At the end she calls him the Dragon Reborn, instead of just the Dragon. Rand is the Dragon Reborn.
One could argue that, given the cyclical nature of tie, Lews Therin was also a Dragon Reborn, but that the "Dragon" is reborn at the end of each Age.

Remove ads