Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

TheSword

Legend
Agreed! That threw me for a loop. I had trained my brain at that point to accept that there was no "actual people/cultures with shared characteristics"...then BLAM! "Well, except for the Asians. They all look alike...mostly..." LOL! As someone with the last name Ming, I found that amusing (even though I don't really look Asian; my dad does when he laughs; my grandpa, great grandpa, etc...yup...definitely Chinese). Probably wasn't supposed to be though... I have a bit of a dry/dark sense of humour I guess. ;)
I think Lord Agelmar and his sister are both east Asian because, well they are brother and sister. The rest of the borderlanders are a mix like everywhere else. Look at the other borderlanders Uno, Masema and Lord Ingtar.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The fact that there is almost no foreshadowing, probably because of a desperate need to avoid exposition. Means there’s no build up to the Horn of the Hunt.
Yeah, that's a problem compared to the books.

Going back, Eye of the World has foreshadowing for the entire 14 book series: Jordan wasn't joking when he claimed to have the major events all worked out from the start, even if he had some problems executing the points efficiently. it is both choked with foreshadowing, but it mostly doesn't feel that way because it is weaved in subtly. Hard to do that amount of information in 8 episodes of a visual medium.

Mercurius

Legend
Of all the things I find jarring about this series, skin colour of the cast definitely isn’t on the list. Everyone mixed because they got over their racism 3000 years before. People aren’t going to start segregating again.
I really dislike this sort of nasty implication. I'm talking about world-building, not race relations. I don't care about the skin color of the cast, just how it clearly ignores any pretense to well-considered world-building for the sake of pandering. From a world-building perspective, the ethnic diversity of the Two Rivers and the world in general doesn't make sense. It could make sense, but they haven't bothered to make it do so.

And just to be clear, it isn't a huge deal, just noticeable and one of the facts that points to sloppy world-building.

Plus, what you say just doesn't make sense. If they "got over their racism 3000 years before" then they'd be more homogenous.

Mercurius

Legend
As for the Horn, I vaguely remember being somewhat disappointed with how Jordan handled it years ago. There really wasn't a proper Hunt, which I thought was a fun idea that he didn't really explore - except the idea that there were all these Hunters wandering around, looking for something that had already been found.

I haven't watched episode 8 yet, but my guess is that we're going to start seeing a greatly reduced plot - even more so than the first season. They have 13 more books to cover and they really can't be planning for 13 seasons. They can't simply combine two books into one season, especially with 8 episodes, so we're probably going to see huge swathes of the books just written out of the show, perhaps including a lot of the GH. Hopefully that isn't too extreme, as it was one of the better books, but they're obviously doing things a bit differently.

Remove ads