Wheel of Time Discussion - Spoilers(with book spoilers)

TheSword

Legend
I think Jordan was actually good at portraying a variety of female characters. The main women are all pretty distinct…Egwene, Aviendha, Elayne, Min, Moiraine, Verin, Lanfear, Siuan, Moghedien….they’re all strong individuals. There’s some similarities for sure, but no more than the similarities among the men.

I think where it becomes a bit of an issue is simply the number of secondary female characters. There are so many entourages and groups of women who can channel that many start to blend together.
I agree. It’s a series with literally hundreds of female characters and yet if you showed me a picture or a few lines of text I bet I could tell the difference between Romalda, Anaiya and Sheriam.

Argyle King

Legend
I have no knowledge of the books.

What are some of the changes from the books to the show?

I just finished episode 1, and I admittedly struggled with it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

From episode 1? The big changes were that in the books Perrin wasn't even dating, let alone married. And Matt's father was not a drunk or a cheat. Oh, and in the books the Dragon Reborn was prophesized to be male. It wasn't an unknown like the show portrays.

Pretty much everyone agrees that Episode 1 is uneven; the showrunner stated in a recent AMA on Reddit that he had hoped for a longer first episode but had to get everything needed into one with the normal running time. It's also pretty much agreed upon that each episode is better than the previous.

TheSword

Legend
just watched episode 4. Wow. Just wow.

Really liked the Way of the Leaf delivery and the lifestyle of the Travelling Folk. Let’s be honest it had some real punch for Perrin now after his wife. Whatever you think about that particular decision. The scene also set the spirituality of the wheel turning in a way that comforts and that people believe in deeply. All Ila’s lines are delivered with such sad, tranquility that she’s building up to some real pathos. Aram is also charismatic and likeable. 5 stars for their delivery and I think it’s setting up for some really impactful returns later on.

Matt and Rand have barely got to know Thom but I like him. The Owen story was delivered well and we’re getting repeated mentions now of men channelling, gentling and what happens afterwards. The fade scene was good, though I wish we could have enjoyed a little more fade. I think it’s quite clever how we are clearly meant to think Matt can channel and possibly be the Dragon Reborn. The sickness of Shador Lorgoth is maybe a bit more manifest than in the books but it’s creepy, powerful and has no love for the shadow… exactly as it should.

Lastly, Moiraine, Lan and Nyneave. I’m loving this. Sassy lines from Nyneave. Some subtle flirting between her and Lan. A window into the wider world of Aes Sedai, Warders, the Ajahs, shielding, linking and probably other things I can’t think of now. The warders bond shown through an Aes Sedai’s death. Finally what an amazing way of showing Nyneave’s power and lead us to think she has potential as the dragon reborn. There were some other clever drops ins. Moiraine struggling to keep Logain shielded, and then asking her if he is as strong as Egwene and Moiraine not being sure. That’s some elegannt and clever writing there to position Egwene.

Finally Logain. The icing on the cake. The Ghealdan siege scene was great. Moiraine’s conversation was tense and loaded. His break out dramatic and impressive - even his gentling was delivered exceptionally well. We even got a hint of the risk of burning out as Liandrin’s skin starts to glow from inside. This scene brought a lot of things that happened off screen in the books to the screen and I’m cool with that. They did a good job.

I think this episode shows how wrong anyone is who thought they spent the special effects budget in episode one!!!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
just watched episode 4. Wow. Just wow.

Really liked the Way of the Leaf delivery and the lifestyle of the Travelling Folk. Let’s be honest it had some real punch for Perrin now after his wife. Whatever you think about that particular decision. The scene also set the spirituality of the wheel turning in a way that comforts and that people believe in deeply. All Ila’s lines are delivered with such sad, tranquility that she’s building up to some real pathos. Aram is also charismatic and likeable. 5 stars for their delivery and I think it’s setting up for some really impactful returns later on.

Matt and Rand have barely got to know Thom but I like him. The Owen story was delivered well and we’re getting repeated mentions now of men channelling, gentling and what happens afterwards. The fade scene was good, though I wish we could have enjoyed a little more fade. I think it’s quite clever how we are clearly meant to think Matt can channel and possibly be the Dragon Reborn. The sickness of Shador Lorgoth is maybe a bit more manifest than in the books but it’s creepy, powerful and has no love for the shadow… exactly as it should.

Lastly, Moiraine, Lan and Nyneave. I’m loving this. Sassy lines from Nyneave. Some subtle flirting between her and Lan. A window into the wider world of Aes Sedai, Warders, the Ajahs, shielding, linking and probably other things I can’t think of now. The warders bond shown through an Aes Sedai’s death. Finally what an amazing way of showing Nyneave’s power and lead us to think she has potential as the dragon reborn. There were some other clever drops ins. Moiraine struggling to keep Logain shielded, and then asking her if he is as strong as Egwene and Moiraine not being sure. That’s some elegannt and clever writing there to position Egwene.

Finally Logain. The icing on the cake. The Ghealdan siege scene was great. Moiraine’s conversation was tense and loaded. His break out dramatic and impressive - even his gentling was delivered exceptionally well. We even got a hint of the risk of burning out as Liandrin’s skin starts to glow from inside. This scene brought a lot of things that happened off screen in the books to the screen and I’m cool with that. They did a good job.

I think this episode shows how wrong anyone is who thought they spent the special effects budget in episode one!!!
I agree with all of that. My only issue is that Logain in the books is nearly as strong as the Dragon Reborn, which makes him stronger than Nynaeve, not much weaker like Moiraine implies in her talk with him.

Remove ads