D&D General "When I DM, I Try to Make Sure to Lay Eyes on Every Roll My Players Make to Confirm It" (a poll)

"When I DM, I Try to Make Sure I Lay Eyes on Every Roll My Players Make to Confirm It"

• True.

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • False.

Votes: 151 90.4%

Stormonu

Legend
I sometimes see streams where people are using a VTT and rolling physical dice. That never made a lot of sense to me. The functionality is right there.
Some people have a superstition about rolling dice and being able to subconsciously finagle the results in clutch moments (I've had similar effects in bowling - a slight, subconsious twist of the hand altering the roll to make it look like the pin had a magnet to attract the ball).

I know I dislike rolling the virtual dice on Beyond on my ipad. Those dice seem to hate me.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I sometimes see streams where people are using a VTT and rolling physical dice. That never made a lot of sense to me. The functionality is right there.

I cannot enforce my will psychically on the dice unless they are physcially present.

Same reason I refuse to use video slots, and prefer gambling with real cards and dice and roulette wheels.

Which is why I have made so much money in Vegas! checks accounts Um, nevermind.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
There have been times when this has been an issue and I've always addressed it in a nice but direct way, away from the table. It's been a long time since that's been an issue, though, as people I've known have just grown up.

We play with a VTT now so that really isn't a problem now.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

Some people have a superstition about rolling dice and being able to subconsciously finagle the results in clutch moments (I've had similar effects in bowling - a slight, subconsious twist of the hand altering the roll to make it look like the pin had a magnet to attract the ball).

I know I dislike rolling the virtual dice on Beyond on my ipad. Those dice seem to hate me.
I play in a 1975-style OD&D game over Zoom where the DM is distinctly technophobic. He hates VTTs, as a rule. We do old-school paper mapping and all roll physical dice on the honor system. There is ONE player who seems to consistently roll above average, but most of us seem conscientious. I do think the lucky guy has the highest level character and most magic items, at this point, but it hasn't ruined the game.

It's been some years since I sat at a table with someone whose dice rolls were suspicious. In those uncommon situations folks usually institute an "all rolls in front of other people" rule.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Haha.

Never.

I only see them now because we're on Roll 20. No way am I getting up to walk around a table to comfortably seat seven adults every roll.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Pretty much impossible with a big group and just looks bad trying to with the players who happen to be next to you. Even with smaller groups it can be tough now with fancy multicolor & transparent dice made to look pretty rather than being madefir easy reading at a glance.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sure, but not everyone wants to type in the die rolling syntax every time, or set up their characters extensively to cover all of their possible die rolling contingencies, or give up the tactile sensation of picking up a handful of dice for a fireball, sneak attack, or multi-die critical hit. And I'm not going to take that last one away from them by making them use the die roller on the VTT.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Tactility is an important part of the game for a lot of people, and VTTs remove nearly all tactility. Rolling physical dice may be the one element of that tactility some players have left.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For the past couple of years I've been mostly online, and some of the games are just Zoom/Discord + Google Draw. Roll your dice and tell me. I have no way to even get a glimpse of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases