D&D General "When I DM, I Try to Make Sure to Lay Eyes on Every Roll My Players Make to Confirm It" (a poll)

"When I DM, I Try to Make Sure I Lay Eyes on Every Roll My Players Make to Confirm It"

• True.

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • False.

Votes: 151 90.4%

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I'm not DMing the home game currently, so I can confidently answer "Yes." Because when I DM, it's going to be at a hobby shop or convention, and I'll probably have new players who want to do it right, but might not have a handle on the rules. And seeing what they rolled and going with that, I can teach them things that aren't in the rulebook, such as "Sometimes, it's more advantageous to fail something you're trying to do, because a more profitable or interesting situation can develop in game because of it."

G

Guest 7034872

I cannot enforce my will psychically on the dice unless they are physcially present.

Same reason I refuse to use video slots, and prefer gambling with real cards and dice and roulette wheels.

Which is why I have made so much money in Vegas! checks accounts Um, nevermind.
Yeah, but the method works in principle! It just needs refining.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, but the method works in principle! It just needs refining.

I regularly refine it!

Luckily, I am served free cocktails while regularly refining it.

And when you add the value of all of the free cocktails I am getting .... checks accounts ... um ...

6add4ae35c0cf597802322fd048b38ff.gif

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
False. I use a computer to generate the "random" (really pseudorandom) numbers, and so do my players. All rolls are made openly, using the same tools, so the roll is the roll is the roll, whatever it may be.

I very, very, very rarely roll in private. Most of the time, doing so is only for selecting something from a random table to see whats up.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Rolls made where the table cannot see them don't count, including the referee's rolls. Everyone's rolling in the open, period.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
If I'm ever sus about a player's amazing luck, I'll task a player I trust (usually my roommate) to keep an eye on them. I'm too busy, lol.

Myself, I always roll openly as the DM, because I once played under a DM who lost my trust by rolling behind a screen and basically "deciding" if a player was hit or suffered a crit.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I very, very, very rarely roll in private. Most of the time, doing so is only for selecting something from a random table to see whats up.
Yeah, I regularly make some rolls in private, where the PCs wouldn't reasonably know the outcome. Like search checks.

But almost everything else is out in the open. Especially combat rolls.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I don't even mind letting players make their own perception or knowledge checks. They've learned I'm perfectly capable of having them make bogus rolls, just in case they want to ever go "oh we all rolled bad, there must be a trap!".

Andvari

Hero
My eyesight isn’t good enough that I can see every roll my players make. Besides, I have other things to do. Hopefully the players are policing themselves :)

Remove ads