Where do neutral characters go when they die?

Lord Zack

Explorer
In my campaigns where you go when you die isn't alignment dependant. Instead it matters a great deal what pantheon controls the region.
So for example, if you die within the borders of my Roman Empire you'll end up in Hades.

That seems to cause some problems, like if a Viking raider goes off and raids another country, dying in battle, he ends up in that country's afterlife instead of Valhalla? Seems that would upset Odin, he needs those warriors for Ragnarok!

Of course for the OP, the Outlands actually are in the 5e DMG, but for some strange reason they are not considered part of the Outer Planes and instead are one of the "Other Planes".

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
The plane of quantum uncertainty, where you are a priori equally likely to be there or not there until someone comes looking for you. The moment you are observed by one of the gods, you collapse into an excited state. As who wouldn't?

There are a lot of cats to keep you company while you wait, but also some ogres.

ccs

41st lv DM
That seems to cause some problems, like if a Viking raider goes off and raids another country, dying in battle, he ends up in that country's afterlife instead of Valhalla? Seems that would upset Odin, he needs those warriors for Ragnarok!

(Shrugs) I'm the DM & I haven't noticed any problems. :)
That said;
1) It's largely a RP thing more than rules mechanics.
Very seldom do I ever run something directly involving the gods.
2) It makes priests & the blessings of your patron gods more important.
3) There IS a theological (cold) war being waged in my game. Boundaries can & do shift. And they might well be different than you think.... Again, priests are important. And this is ehy you stamp out cults, convert populations, etc.
Though most characters/campaigns I run never deal with it much.
4) It's more interesting than slotting beings into various after-lives based on alignments.

Dit464

First Post
You could just shove them into purgatory, it is some sort of 'punishment' for dying but some people believe it wouldn't be too bad, although I do enjoy the shoved into the Wall of Faithless idea

Remove ads