D&D 5E Where Does The Multiversal Vecna: Eve of Ruin Visit?

Includes Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

evernight.jpeg

Evernight rises above the molten ground in the Shadowfell.​

Dungeons & Dragons designer Amanda Hamon has revealed some of the locations that Vecna: Eve of Ruin visits.
  • Evernight, a Shadowfell version of Neverwinter
  • Spelljammer's Astra Sea
  • Eberron's Mournlands
  • Ravenloft's Death House
  • Dragonlance's Three Moons Vault
  • Greyhawk's tom of Acererak
  • The Nine Hells
GJSmc8PacAEGr2z.jpeg

A pair of adventurers outside the Three Moons Vault, a complex on Krynn where allies of Lord Soth await them. Art by Jedd Chevrier.

GJSnDyhacAAvKh_.jpeg

Over 30 new monsters from around the multiverse arrive in Vecna: Eve of Ruin. Here we see a deathwolf from Krynn and a hertilod from the Astral Sea. Art by Brian Valeza.

I suspect she might be offed to show how strong Vecna is. D&D Socials posted sth like "Who'd win? Vecna or Tiamat?" followed by another "Who'd win? Vecna or Strahd?".
Possibly. I am interested what they do with Tiamat as in RoT she was a CR30 lesser deity and then by the time of Fizban's she is no longer a deity (but with the power of one) and her "aspect" has a CR30 with the Mythic Trait (CR30 x2).

I guess Vecna is interesting too as the official 5e stat has him at CR26. However, IIRC, that is Vecna as an archlich not a deity. Not sure which version appears in the new adventure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Forgotten Realms: Hmmm... I don't know anyone specifically connected to Evernight but any number of FR villains could be hiding there...
Now see, two interesting things here: Neverwinter is the one major lacuna in the Sword Coast after ten years of 5E Campaigns, and they haven't really touched on the Shadowfell, like at all.

However, the Shadowfell is where one might expect to find Jergal, the Spellweaver who ascended to be the god of death amd secrets in the FR, who seems to be tied to vecna and the obelisks.

dead

Explorer
It would be nice to see campaign setting books come out for some of these locations: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc. Why would you tease these locations and not follow up with some basic material to start a campaign?

Or is the assumption folks can just buy pdfs of older product or unofficial 3rd party 5E setting updates on dmsguild?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It would be nice to see campaign setting books come out for some of these locations: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc. Why would you tease these locations and not follow up with some basic material to start a campaign?

Or is the assumption folks can just buy pdfs of older product or unofficial 3rd party 5E setting updates on dmsguild?
Eberron: Rising from the Last War, Shadows od the Dragon Queen, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh are already fir sale. We are also getting a Setting in the new DMG (I figure Greyhawk).

Juomari Veren

Adventurer
Death House (in my opinion) is one of two iconic things to cone out of 5e. The other being the entirely of "Lost Mines of PHANDELVER".

I like 5e, but the adventures have mostly been disappointments that also haven't added much to D&D lore and they have just pulled greatest hits out of 1e, 2e, 3e and even 4e (shadowfell).

What else from the last 10 years is recognizable enough to feature?
None of the other locations listed are particularly "iconic" about 5e, and to say each one is iconic even to a specific edition is a little bit of a stretch too honestly. When I think Ravenloft, first and foremost thing I think about is, you know, the castle? Where Strahd is? And since he's already shown up in promotional material so much I figured we'd run into him on his home turf, instead of maybe seeing him skulking around a cramped basement dungeon for levels 1-3. Heck, The Amber Temple would've made more sense since this adventure looks to have references to the dark powers, of which Vecna almost certainly was and actually might still be in some way.

You can argue it's iconic for Ravenloft, but I wouldn't, it's an incredibly recent "innovation" (emphasis on the "no") to the setting. And it's certainly not the only innovative thing 5e has done story-wise; I wholeheartedly think calling most of the 5e adventures disappointments is a touch narrow-minded. If your only concern is what they do or don't do that's entirely original and unique to them; Consider that the "lore" of D&D is, was, and always will be fluid, on top of the fact that every edition iterates on the ones before it by taking the good stuff and rolling it forward while leaving the old and undesirable tidbits in the past where they well belong. In terms of 1:1 recreations of things in 5e, the only things we've gotten that were just straight-up reprints was Tales from the Yawning Portal and, besides some details here and there, Ravenloft itself through Curse of Strahd. Every other book has looked to change things up, take an iconic dungeon and make something new with homages to the original inspiration, or just trudged into totally original tettitory from cover to cover.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

As far as WotC is concerned, they do have 5E campaign books for Dragonlance and Eberron. But yes, their go-to otherwise is to wave a hand at the DMs Guild for everything else.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
None of the other locations listed are particularly "iconic" about 5e, and to say each one is iconic even to a specific edition is a little bit of a stretch too honestly. When I think Ravenloft, first and foremost thing I think about is, you know, the castle? Where Strahd is? And since he's already shown up in promotional material so much I figured we'd run into him on his home turf, instead of maybe seeing him skulking around a cramped basement dungeon for levels 1-3. Heck, The Amber Temple would've made more sense since this adventure looks to have references to the dark powers, of which Vecna almost certainly was and actually might still be in some way.

You can argue it's iconic for Ravenloft, but I wouldn't, it's an incredibly recent "innovation" (emphasis on the "no") to the setting. And it's certainly not the only innovative thing 5e has done story-wise; I wholeheartedly think calling most of the 5e adventures disappointments is a touch narrow-minded. If your only concern is what they do or don't do that's entirely original and unique to them; Consider that the "lore" of D&D is, was, and always will be fluid, on top of the fact that every edition iterates on the ones before it by taking the good stuff and rolling it forward while leaving the old and undesirable tidbits in the past where they well belong. In terms of 1:1 recreations of things in 5e, the only things we've gotten that were just straight-up reprints was Tales from the Yawning Portal and, besides some details here and there, Ravenloft itself through Curse of Strahd. Every other book has looked to change things up, take an iconic dungeon and make something new with homages to the original inspiration, or just trudged into totally original tettitory from cover to cover.
So, this book is going across these 7 Settings, bit ar another point they threw out a number of about 30 different dungeons overall: this is not an exhaustive list.

Remove ads

Remove ads