D&D 5E Where Does The Multiversal Vecna: Eve of Ruin Visit?

Includes Ravenloft, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

evernight.jpeg

Evernight rises above the molten ground in the Shadowfell.​

Dungeons & Dragons designer Amanda Hamon has revealed some of the locations that Vecna: Eve of Ruin visits.
  • Evernight, a Shadowfell version of Neverwinter
  • Spelljammer's Astra Sea
  • Eberron's Mournlands
  • Ravenloft's Death House
  • Dragonlance's Three Moons Vault
  • Greyhawk's tom of Acererak
  • The Nine Hells
GJSmc8PacAEGr2z.jpeg

A pair of adventurers outside the Three Moons Vault, a complex on Krynn where allies of Lord Soth await them. Art by Jedd Chevrier.

GJSnDyhacAAvKh_.jpeg

Over 30 new monsters from around the multiverse arrive in Vecna: Eve of Ruin. Here we see a deathwolf from Krynn and a hertilod from the Astral Sea. Art by Brian Valeza.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It would be nice to see campaign setting books come out for some of these locations: Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, etc. Why would you tease these locations and not follow up with some basic material to start a campaign?

Or is the assumption folks can just buy pdfs of older product or unofficial 3rd party 5E setting updates on dmsguild?
The eberron intersect being in the mournlands is a pretty good spot that is both easy to explain almost anything and not going to mess up eberron with lore from other settings like parts of 4e did. As long as it doesn't try to claim itself to be the cause of DoM it's one of the better locations. Mournlands isn't really a place anyone chooses to stay long enough for a campaign if they can help it.

That's super important because one of the important things with eberron is that the setting will always be 998YK in order to avoid the tower of bloated lore effect you get caug up in trying to run a fr game or something.. being in the mournlands also allows certain long overdue rejiggery of mechanical resting death saves healing and probably more through a single sidebar that we can hopefully use as defaults without needing to wait for a new phb&dmg because the mournlands already did awful things to recovery and such

dead

Explorer
Eberron: Rising from the Last War, Shadows od the Dragon Queen, and Ghosts of Saltmarsh are already fir sale. We are also getting a Setting in the new DMG (I figure Greyhawk).
Oh, yep. I missed the Eberrron book. Thanks for bringing to my attention. Does Shadows of the Dragon Queen and Ghosts of Saltmarsh provide everything to start a campaign in Dragonlance/Greyhawk or are they just adventures?

dead

Explorer
That's super important because one of the important things with eberron is that the setting will always be 998YK in order to avoid the tower of bloated lore effect you get caug up in trying to run a fr game or something..
I would love to see Keith finish off The Dreaming Dark series of novels. They seemed to be leading up to some big reveal in the nature of the setting but then were discontinued.

Oh, yep. I missed the Eberrron book. Thanks for bringing to my attention. Does Shadows of the Dragon Queen and Ghosts of Saltmarsh provide everything to start a campaign in Dragonlance/Greyhawk or are they just adventures?
That would depend upon what you think you need to start a campaign. I haven't got the Dragonlance book, but the GoS book details the town of Saltmarsh and the surrounding area. It doesn't have geopolitical data on all the neighbouring countries, or that sort of thing. It has everything I would need to run a campaign there, and if I need anything else, I can Google it.

I would love to see Keith finish off The Dreaming Dark series of novels. They seemed to be leading up to some big reveal in the nature of the setting but then were discontinued.
Keith Baker doesn't want to create a canonical explanation for the nature of the setting, he wants it to be up to individual GMs to decide. That's probably why he stopped writing the series. There is some discussion of possible big reveals in Exploring Eberron.

dead

Explorer
That would depend upon what you think you need to start a campaign. I haven't got the Dragonlance book, but the GoS book details the town of Saltmarsh and the surrounding area. It doesn't have geopolitical data on all the neighbouring countries, or that sort of thing. It has everything I would need to run a campaign there, and if I need anything else, I can Google it.
A run down of all the gods, a map of the Flanaess and some basic info would be good. It doesn't have to be much. Just a bit of a guideline of the bigger picture.

A run down of all the gods,
That's in the PHB.
a map of the Flanaess
How far are your players planning on traveling? You can Google it. WotC aren't going to try and sell you things you can get for free on the internet.
some basic info
Greyhawk is a core rules setting. What kind of basic info do you feel isn't covered in the core rules?

That's in the PHB.

How far are your players planning on traveling? You can Google it. WotC aren't going to try and sell you things you can get for free on the internet.

Greyhawk is a core rules setting. What kind of basic info do you feel isn't covered in the core rules?
WotC will def try to sell you things you could find for free.

None of the other locations listed are particularly "iconic" about 5e, and to say each one is iconic even to a specific edition is a little bit of a stretch too honestly. When I think Ravenloft, first and foremost thing I think about is, you know, the castle? Where Strahd is? And since he's already shown up in promotional material so much I figured we'd run into him on his home turf, instead of maybe seeing him skulking around a cramped basement dungeon for levels 1-3. Heck, The Amber Temple would've made more sense since this adventure looks to have references to the dark powers, of which Vecna almost certainly was and actually might still be in some way.

You can argue it's iconic for Ravenloft, but I wouldn't, it's an incredibly recent "innovation" (emphasis on the "no") to the setting. And it's certainly not the only innovative thing 5e has done story-wise; I wholeheartedly think calling most of the 5e adventures disappointments is a touch narrow-minded. If your only concern is what they do or don't do that's entirely original and unique to them; Consider that the "lore" of D&D is, was, and always will be fluid, on top of the fact that every edition iterates on the ones before it by taking the good stuff and rolling it forward while leaving the old and undesirable tidbits in the past where they well belong. In terms of 1:1 recreations of things in 5e, the only things we've gotten that were just straight-up reprints was Tales from the Yawning Portal and, besides some details here and there, Ravenloft itself through Curse of Strahd. Every other book has looked to change things up, take an iconic dungeon and make something new with homages to the original inspiration, or just trudged into totally original tettitory from cover to cover.
You apparently assume that the Death House is the only Ravenloft location the adventure will visit. Where has anyone said that that's the case? Especially as they have said the adventure has maps for over 30 dungeons, so it seems very likely that each setting will see multiple locations visited.

dead

Explorer
Keith Baker doesn't want to create a canonical explanation for the nature of the setting, he wants it to be up to individual GMs to decide. That's probably why he stopped writing the series. There is some discussion of possible big reveals in Exploring Eberron.
Oh, yep. That makes sense. Would have been nice to get some closure on the series, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads