D&D 5E Where We've Been and Where We Might Be Going (or, What I Think WotC Is Doing)

I guess Hasbro wants a no-fantasy d20 TTRPG, but this is a true challenge for the game designers if they want to be totally retrocompatible with D&D. Hasbro is more focused in the digital game industry.

Now the most possible options are Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Planescape, Spelljammer and Eldraine(Magic: the Gathering). We don't know if the reboot of Spelljammer can retcon radically the crystal spheres. A videogame of Dragonlance could allow optional retcons accordin player's wishes, for example adding artificiers or barbarians among the heroes of the Lance.

Birthright and Mystara could return, but maybe in a next phase or later.

Mercurius

Legend
This is backed up by Hasbro going to someone other than WotC to do RPGs for Transformers, G.I. Joe, and such. Don't expect WotC to stretch into that space and have Hasbro effectively competing with itself.
Well, I could see them expanding in a "D&D-adjacent way." "D&D in Space" or "D&D Post-Apocalypse." That doesn't necessarily compete with Transformers, GI Joe, etc, none of which is all that adjacent to D&D.

Mercurius

Legend
What is that game you play with your kids where you all stack you hands in a pile and the bottom hand slides out to be placed on top. after a bit, people know they are coming up and slid their hand out faster and faster. In the end you just get people just slapping hands like some sort of cat attack. This seems to be the publishing schedule before it falls apart and 6e comes out.
This applies more to the pre-5E paradigm. 5E is different, with its emphasis on stories and worlds, of which there are infinite possible variations and diversity.
I also wonder if there will be a connection between quality of work and pace of releases.

As with the music industry, there are far more talented game designers out there than any number of product that WotC hopes to produce.

Really, I think the pace will be the direct result of WotC closely watching the market, meaning relative to sales. I think they'll add a bit slowly and keep an eye on if there is any waning in sales per book.

Let's say they find that they can comfortably publish six books a year and sales for all or most remain great, both initially and in an ongoing manner. Let's say they go for seven, and start noticing a dip in sales per book, but it still remains more profitable to publish seven than six. Then they try eight, and the drop becomes more noticeable, with one or two books seriously lagging behind, and overall ongoing sales dipping. At that point they might dial it back to seven.

Meaning, if we continue to buy, they'll continue to publish. And more to the point, it is clear that, over the last few years, they're starting to stretch our capacity and interest in buying. I see no reason why they won't continue to slowly test and expand, and only stop growth when they reach a point when they feel it is no longer more profitable to expand than maintain (or dial back).

In other words, WotC will let the market dictate how many books they produce, and will bring in new game designers as necessary. But slowly and carefully.

I thought I would say that there is also a quest to beat last quarters dollar projections, but some may also be based on consumer wishes and not just corporate greed. I mean that I would buy more myself if they published more I liked.
Exactly. Now imagine 49,999,999 other D&D buyers, and WotC is assessing what they/we want. With their resources and such a large buying group, they can produce both books that appeal to as many folks as possible, and also hone in on sub-groups that really want a particular thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I could see them expanding in a "D&D-adjacent way." "D&D in Space" or "D&D Post-Apocalypse." That doesn't necessarily compete with Transformers, GI Joe, etc, none of which is all that adjacent to D&D.

Yeah, but I don't think "D&D in Space" or "Post-apocalypse D&D" is really "beyond fantasy" either. Spelljammer is basically D&D in space, after all, and it is still really just fantasy.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah, but I don't think "D&D in Space" or "Post-apocalypse D&D" is really "beyond fantasy" either. Spelljammer is basically D&D in space, after all, and it is still really just fantasy.
True, but Spelljammer never presented itself as science fiction. That makes a big difference, I think.

Gamma World could become a D&D setting, and redesigned to allow possible crossovers with other franchises. But modern tech can break the power balance, for example trucks used to hit over a horde of zombies, a McGyver's style traps against monsters.

1633551846508.png

Mercurius

Legend
It is a matter of degree. I think of Shadowrun and Starfinder as being essentially offshoots of a fantasy game (Earthdawn and Pathfinder, respectively, although to be fair, Shadowrun came out before Earthdawn, which was--if not initially, eventually--imagined as the fantasy pre-history of SR).

That question was just as a place-holder for something that doesn't fit within the strictly D&D umbrella. Spelljammer does, Gamma World doesn't - but GW could be re-envisioned as "post-apocalyptic D&D."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That question was just as a place-holder for something that doesn't fit within the strictly D&D umbrella. Spelljammer does, Gamma World doesn't - but GW could be re-envisioned as "post-apocalyptic D&D."

Right. So, my thought is that you should not expect to see any serious work done with Gamma World in the near future. You might see "D&D after the Rain of Colorless Fire" or Darksun, but they aren't sci-fi.

After we see if the Transformers et al. flop, maybe you'll see WotC branch out. I still think it unlikely, but you might see it.

Bolares

Hero
Exactly - I don't foresee WotC going into the sci-fi space any time soon, because that would compete with Hasbro's other RPG offerings. But Spelljammer isn't sci-fi, so that's okay.
I don't know if other Hasbro RPG offerings would have the power to stop WotC if they did want to go in to the sci-fi space (not that I think they will). WotC brings the big bucks, and if they say to Hasbro, we want to sell Sci-Fi, I could see Hasbro letting them, even if it steps on the toes of smaller RPG offerings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases