Which 'foreign' languages have seen D&D?

Ramaster

Adventurer
Devir is publishing pathfinder in spanish.

Great, thanks for the info! Do you have a link to that or any other info? Send me a PM!

To the OP: Spanish translations of some terms.

Elf - Elfo
Dwarf - Enano
Gnome - Gnomo
Halfling - Mediano

Fireball - Bola de Fuego
Magic Missile - Misil Magico

Fighter - Guerrero (Actually the translation of Warrior)
Wizard - Mago
Cleric - Clerigo
Rogue - Pícaro

I own the 3.5 PHB on spanish and the PHB, DMG and MM for 4e (plus a TON of Pathfinder books on english).

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I'm on my cellphone so it's a problem to search and copy a link. You can easily find the book in the paizos page. I don't like Spanish translations since devir don't do a good job with that and I have no problem reading English.
I can give you any translation if you want.

Edit: here we go: http://paizo.com/companies/devirIberia

I give you some random translations:

Goblin: Trasgo
Bugbear: Osgo
Tarrasque: Tarasca
Cavalier: Caballero
Cleave: Hendedura (one of the ugliest translations ever)
Point blank shot: Disparo a bocajarro
Spellcraft: conocimiento de conjuros.

Last edited:

Great, thanks for the info! Do you have a link to that or any other info? Send me a PM!

To the OP: Spanish translations of some terms.

Elf - Elfo
Dwarf - Enano
Gnome - Gnomo
Halfling - Mediano

Fireball - Bola de Fuego
Magic Missile - Misil Magico

Fighter - Guerrero (Actually the translation of Warrior)
Wizard - Mago
Cleric - Clerigo
Rogue - Pícaro

A Spanish "gamer glossary" would be fitting for a Medieval Adventures or Renaissance Adventures "culture book", along the lines of Expeditious Retreat Press's Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe. There'd be gamer glossaries for Spanish, French, Dutch, German, and Italian.

For Spanish or Quasi-Spanish campaign models, there'd be Amn (quasi-Spanish) and New Amn in the Forgotten Realms; and in the World of Mystara: the Flamenco Elves of Belcadiz and the Ispan colonies of the Savage Coast. There'd also be 5E "D&D Modern" campaign models for "Age of Adventure Spain" (Renaissance-era d20 Modern), "Gothic Spain" (Masque of the Red Death), and "Urban Arcana Spain".

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I don't remember the game, but there was a spanish tranlation of "crossbow" as "arco X", that is like saying: "bow X"....
The joke was around for a time.
Here is the drawing of some guy:

200px-XBOW.jpg

... some minutes later...

I found the info, it's from AD&D in 1989, by "Ediciones Martinez Roca".
http://roleropedia.com/Errores_en_traducciones_de_juegos_de_rol

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
What are the Japanese words for the character classes and PC races? Is fighter "bushi"?

Probably not. I've seen a thread on this board of someone playing Pathfinder in Japan, but were using a custom conversion (not official), and much of it was transliteration, rather than translation. Consider that dragon in Japanese is tatsu or ryu, however, in the book from that thread a white dragon was called a "huaito duragon". Also for example, protection from evil, you'd think there might be some known ritual in Japanese folklore that might do the same thing and called something else, but in that book it was "purotekshon furomu eweru" literally. While we might see the direct relationship between fighter and bushi, to the Japanese bushi is very specific cultural niche of warrior, and a general fighter is something altogether different - at least in their point of view.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases