D&D 5E Which Magic the Gathering setting would you want added officially to D&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The barbarian to me is definitely a "what if a barbarian was also a wild magic sorcerer." Which kind of fits the idea of a barbarian tied to the Feywild, though works for other things too. Could be a misdirection but can also be legit.

Definitely could fit Eldraine, definitely fits Garruk who's in the center of that.

Fits a Red Mana theme well.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I picked up the Dominaria art book as a basis for a homebrewed campaign world as there’s a good variety of locations and civilization. But I’m quite disappointed in it as it seems to focus more on people and history and less on detailing locations. I was hoping for something more like the Zendikar book.

So, I’m not sure what I’m looking for, I guess, but I think it’s stuff that whets my appetite for adventure and for me that’s fantastic lands and mysterious ruins rather than people.

Think about a alien visitors guide to Earth, sure they’d put some modern cities on there, but also the great natural wonders and ancient sites. But how many leaders would make the cut? :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I picked up the Dominaria art book as a basis for a homebrewed campaign world as there’s a good variety of locations and civilization. But I’m quite disappointed in it as it seems to focus more on people and history and less on detailing locations. I was hoping for something more like the Zendikar book.

So, I’m not sure what I’m looking for, I guess, but I think it’s stuff that whets my appetite for adventure and for me that’s fantastic lands and mysterious ruins rather than people.

Think about a alien visitors guide to Earth, sure they’d put some modern cities on there, but also the great natural wonders and ancient sites. But how many leaders would make the cut? :)

That's basically the natural tension of making a Magic setting for D&D, though: the Magic stories are about characters in big, sweeping plots with fuzzy backdrops. With Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica, the Guilds themselves, as institutions full of people, are the Setting, more than places in the Megacity.

This can work for a D&D book, by focusing on being one of the larger than life figures that traipizes through the fuzzy backdrops.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
That's basically the natural tension of making a Magic setting for D&D, though: the Magic stories are about characters in big, sweeping plots with fuzzy backdrops. With Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica, the Guilds themselves, as institutions full of people, are the Setting, more than places in the Megacity.

This can work for a D&D book, by focusing on being one of the larger than life figures that traipizes through the fuzzy backdrops.

I think the main strength of the Ravnica book (at least how it was pitched) is that it detailed a lot of that fuzzy backdrop with some actual street-level details.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the main strength of the Ravnica book (at least how it was pitched) is that it detailed a lot of that fuzzy backdrop with some actual street-level details.

Well, a bit, but it achieved more in detailing the institutions, and where characters firnin them in relation to the big movers of Ravnica. The Megacity itself is left to the procedural generation tools.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
On a MtG side note, I think l Theros Beyond Death will not invovle Heliods death like most people think. Instead I think most of the plot will invovle the white knight Planeswalker chick (I forget her name) journeying through the Underworld, and instead of running into the regular Theros Gods she runs into their fallen predocessors, the Theros equivilant of the Titans instead, either as allies or threats or both. Just a prediction. Plus the quest or adventure keyword.

From memory, the last time we saw Elspeth (I think that's her name) she was making one of those golden masks to return to the land of the living as one of the returned. I don't think that Theros had any titan equivalents, rather they had other gods that were conjured up by the people of Theros before being forgotten and fading out of existence. The god of mystery is the oldest god in in the setting and he has watched gods come and go. In Theros, the gods really do only exist because of the beliefs of the people.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Perhaps, I think the Zendikar and Innistrad art books ruined me. They are very evocative. I think Ixalan might be similar, but Kaladesh and Dominaria are a disappointment.

I have no desire to run anything in Ravnica so I haven’t picked it up, but I keep hearing good things.

You saw Wyatt said there was no Eldraine art book forthcoming. (full disclosure: I have no idea what he’s talking about :) )

gyor

Legend
From memory, the last time we saw Elspeth (I think that's her name) she was making one of those golden masks to return to the land of the living as one of the returned. I don't think that Theros had any titan equivalents, rather they had other gods that were conjured up by the people of Theros before being forgotten and fading out of existence. The god of mystery is the oldest god in in the setting and he has watched gods come and go. In Theros, the gods really do only exist because of the beliefs of the people.

I know, but my hypothesis is that gods that die or fade away end up in the Underworld.

gyor

Legend

I know, but my hypothesis is that gods that die or fade away end up in the Underworld.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Perhaps, I think the Zendikar and Innistrad art books ruined me. They are very evocative. I think Ixalan might be similar, but Kaladesh and Dominaria are a disappointment.

I have no desire to run anything in Ravnica so I haven’t picked it up, but I keep hearing good things.

You saw Wyatt said there was no Eldraine art book forthcoming. (full disclosure: I have no idea what he’s talking about :) )

I hadn't seen that... interesting.

Remove ads