D&D 5E Which UA subclasses do you think will make it this time?

Which Subclasses do you think will be approved?

• Path of the Wild Soul

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • College of Eloquence

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Twilight Domain

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Circle of Wildfire

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Psychic Warrior

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Way of the Astral Self

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Oath of Heroism

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Swarmkeeper

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • The Revived

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Soulknife

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Aberrant Mind

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • The Lurker in the Deep

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Onomancy

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Psionics

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • None

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Poll closed .

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The approval rate needed for UA material to become official is 70% or so. Meaning 70% of the playertester base has to like it before it can potentially see a book. Otherwise the idea is scrapped, though individual abilities or parts of ideas that test well might be cannibalized for future UAs. Which has got me thinking about the latest UA, the Psionic one, and how that might mean that the previous Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard subclasses didn't hit the mark.

Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Revived or Onomancy subclasses got scrapped, but the Rune Knight was cool.

Anyway: Which of the new UA subclasses do you think will make it?

Edit: Added the "None" option, because I know someone will pick it.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The approval rate needed for UA material to become official is 70% or so. Meaning 70% of the playertester base has to like it before it can potentially see a book. Otherwise the idea is scrapped, though individual abilities or parts of ideas that test well might be cannibalized for future UAs. Which has got me thinking about the latest UA, the Psionic one, and how that might mean that the previous Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard subclasses didn't hit the mark.

Personally, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Revived or Onomancy subclasses got scrapped, but the Rune Knight was cool.

Anyway: Which of the new UA subclasses do you think will make it?

Edit: Added the "None" option, because I know someone will pick it.

I don't think the presence of three new options says much about how the others were received: they can have more than one Subclass for a Class in a book, after all.

I think most of these have a fair shot

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
For a lot of these it’s hard to say. There are a few shoe-ins, like the Twilight Domain and the Soul Knife, and a few that are almost certainly too out-there to pass muster, like Onomancy and the Swarmkeeper. But the rest I could easily see going either way.

gyor

Legend
For a lot of these it’s hard to say. There are a few shoe-ins, like the Twilight Domain and the Soul Knife, and a few that are almost certainly too out-there to pass muster, like Onomancy and the Swarmkeeper. But the rest I could easily see going either way.

The only one I feel was unpopular enough to not make it, was the Wild Soul Barbarian, but I could be wrong.

gyor

Legend
I've seen this a few times, can anyone point me to the source? What happens if a subclass gets 69% approval?

If it's the close I think they will just try a new iteration of it to see if it can get higher. Or if their is not enough time and they feel it has value, they might just make an adjustment and publish it anyways.

Kurotowa

Legend
I've seen this a few times, can anyone point me to the source? What happens if a subclass gets 69% approval?

It was mentioned in one of the D&D Beyond videos as a general guiding principle and some people have latched onto it as an absolute rule of populist driven game design. Which is certainly not true; in the same video this was mentioned, they said the Alchemist was under 70% and the Archivist was above, but they still held back the Archivist but released the Alchemist after some significant revision to it.

All we really know is that 70% is their general target number for "this is broadly popular". Something less popular will likely get revised or dropped. Something more popular will be a higher priority to finalize for publishing. Taking it as an absolute pass/fail with no further Dev input is misguided.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think Swarmkeeper is one of the most likely to pass.

Remove ads