• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which WotC settings in 4th Edition?

Which settings should WotC support?

hong

WotC's bitch
A'koss said:
Lolth (remember, FR basically stole her)

You misspelled Lloth. Hope this helps!

GH is also home to the most widely recognized adventure sites and artifacts in the game.

Actually, Worlds & Monsters mentions both the Temple of Elemental Evil and Erelhei-Cinlu as iconic D&D places of adventure. No doubt we'll see more of both places in future 4E releases.

A'koss

Explorer
hong said:
You misspelled Lloth. Hope this helps!
You must be mistaken, I know nothing of this... "Lloth" you speak of. If some backwater world can't even be bothered to spell the Demon Queen's name properly, then well...

:cool:

Khairn

First Post
My feelings on the settings for 4E really haven't changed that much. Being the setting HO that I am, I personally could have been really drawn into 4E if it had been launched with a setting that really showcased the systems design goals. WotC has hacked apart FR (IMHO) to make it work with 4E, and I'm not interested in playing a broken setting. I think Eberron will be a solid fit for 4E, so maybe 2009 will be my year for 4E.

As for the others, there are few that I believe would fit smoothly (little change to fluff & flavor) into a 4E mold. Spelljammer comes to mind, and possibly Planescape. Ravenloft has a strong PoL feel, and could be another possibility, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
GVDammerung said:
Any and every setting should be updated for 4e _EXCEPT_ for Greyhawk. Leave Greyhawk alone! 4e is anathema to all D&D that has come before with its new cosmology, its specific mechanics that imply setting, and its exemplar in FR as to what a setting must endure to be "updated." Leave Greyhawk alone or face the grognard wrath of the Greys!

NB - Anyone who says "Update GH to 4e" is no GH fan. GH fandom and 4e are incompatible because the 4e RAW and backstory are incompatible with what is known of Greyhawk. 4e is D&D in name only and a 4e GH would be GH in name only.

I second this sentiment, and wish NONE of them are updated given the slaughter of FR that is called an update.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
While I'd love to see Mystara re-done (and just *cannot* understand all the love for Eberron), I'm not all that concerned which ones they re-do provided one thing happens:

the adventure modules they publish are not blatantly setting-specific.

Lanefan

Graf

Explorer
Who's voting for new settings? (Answer: 1 person in 2)
Why?

Do you know how many settings we have?
Everyone and their dog has a setting.
God, the last thing we need is another setting.

Enough with the settings already.
Whatever genre, or combination of race/class/magic level/degree of science/technology/psionics/mago-techonogy/psiomagicaltechopapalsy, religious/ethnic influence you could possibly want it's out there.

What "new setting" is needed?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
How about a non magical-oriented technological/steampunk setting?

Also WoTC has stated they are doing a setting-per-year so good chance there will be a new one in the mix.

snkline

First Post
Voted for Dragonlance, Dark Sun, and Planescape.
I love Dragonlance, and although the power level of 4E would feel a little off in DL, I'd still like to see an update for it.

Dark Sun is a no-brainer.

Planescape doesn't fit some of the new fluff (plane-wise) but who cares, as long as the mechanics can support play in the setting. Besides Planescape has always been a pretty high-powered setting, fitting nicely with the increased PC power of 4E.

drothgery

First Post
Graf said:
Who's voting for new settings? (Answer: 1 person in 2)
Why?

1) It's always nice to see a setting built with the assumptions of the edition its built for in mind.
2) WotC's existing settings, with the possible exception of Eberron, tend to be loosely grouped under 'things with tons of canon' (which would either require a reboot or a lot of handwaving to make 4e) and 'things are pretty much niche games'.
3) Just because an existing setting covers a concept doesn't mean that it does it well.

blizack

First Post
I voted for a few settings:

Mystara. It's an extremely well-fleshed-out world, with its own whimsical flavor and a ton of backstory. The high magic aspects of the setting could be a good fit for the 4e classes. Heck, some of the best modules in the history of the game were set here. If some focus was placed on the concept of adventurers being able to ascend to Immortality, there could be even some new mechanical material on what happens beyond the Epic tier of play. You could even play up some of the weird technology angle, what with the flying warships and forgotten Blackmoor weaponry laying around.

Birthright. I never played this setting when it was being supported, but I feel like a Birthright book could add a lot of aspects that were once core to the D&D feel back into the game. Getting a keep, carving out territory, gaining followers, managing a kingdom... even if the Birthright setting wasn't used, I would absolutely love to see a book that explores those topics.

Planescape. It remains a popular setting for good reason, though I will admit that a lot of its appeal for me came from legitimizing some of the more nonsensical aspects of AD&D. It's based so heavily on the old alignments and cosmology that it might be difficult to work out. At the very least, I would incorporate Sigil as a planar crossroads where the prime movers and shakers from across the D&D universe rub shoulders.

New settings. Others have complained that any kind of setting one can imagine has been done at some point or another, but I strongly disagree. For one, D&D has never had a well-supported sword and sorcery-type setting (as opposed to high fantasy). You know, bold adventurers surviving by blood, sweat, wits and steel. Less dragons and orcs, more bloodthirsty apes and big freakin' snakes. Less castles and dungeons, more crumbling temples and reeking, labyrinthine cities. Maybe something like Wilderlands of High Fantasy/City-State of the Invincible Overlord, but with less of the Tolkien high magic stuff grafted on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads