• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who was originally cast as Aragorn?

Quickbeam

Explorer
I know for a fact that Viggo Mortensen was not originally cast to play Aragorn. My wife keeps asking me who was...can anyone get me the answer?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I heard it was Stuart Townsend, the guy who played Lestat in QUEEN OF THE DAMNED.
townsend.jpg

I'm rather glad they lost him. He's too young, too soft, too pretty. Much more suited to Legolas.

I also read somewhere that both Hugo Weaving and David Bowie were up for Elrond. I'm happy with the Weaving Elrond, but I can't stop thinking about how great Bowie would have been as the king of the elves. It just makes perfect sense to me. He's got the face, the poise, the body, the voice, and he can act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Plus, it would have put an end to all these "Welcome to Rivendell... MISTER Anderson" NOT-FUNNY-THE FIRST-TIME JOKES.

Last edited:

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I also read somewhere that both Hugo Weaving and David Bowie were up for Elrond. I'm happy with the Weaving Elrond, but I can't stop thinking about how great Bowie would have been as the king of the elves. It just makes perfect sense to me. He's got the face, the poise, the body, the voice, and he can act his way out of a wet paper bag.

If they had made the film twenty years ago, I might have agreed. But have you seen Bowie lately? He's looking old.

I agree about Stuart Townsend. Far too effete for Aragorn. Once they got him on set they realized what a terrible mistake they'd made, and fired him. I want a guy more like Steve McQueen. (Not in appearance, mind you, but someone lean and tough. I am pleased with Viggo so far.)

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
I remember when I first heard about them doing LOTR, rumor was Sean Connery was going to play Gandalf. I like him, but I am very happy with the whole cast. Ian Holm should have gotten a best supporting for Bilbo.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
I've heard PJ state that they'd made a mistake by casting too young for Aragorn originally, and now I know why. Stuart Townsend would not have been believable in that role, and I say that without attempting to criticize his acting ability. Thanks for the info -- I can finally answer me dear wife :).

As for Sean Connery...I've never heard that rumor, but thank goodness it did not come to pass. I love the guy, but not as Gandalf!!

David Bowie...um, no thanks. Elrond may have been old, but Bowie looks old. That's a problem.

And finally, I think Ian Holm was one of -- if not the -- best cast actors in the entire trilogy. He is Bilbo.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I guess Bowie is too old. That's too bad though... thinking about LABYRINTH-era Bowie as Elrond just makes me all tingly.

The thought of Sean Connery as Gandalf is totally wrong to me. Ugh. No thanks.

I like Viggo quite a bit, except... well... when he exclaims certain lines, he sounds very odd. When he says "You cannot wield it!" he sounds like a nasally high school chess team captain.

No offense to nasally high school chess team captains.

Bamphalas

First Post
Stuart Townsend

According to imdb.com:

Daniel Day-Lewis turned down the role of Aragorn.

Stuart Townsend was originally cast as Aragorn, but was replaced by Viggo Mortensen after four days of shooting due to creative differences.

Although David Bowie was said to be keen on playing Elf Lord Elrond, the part went instead to Hugo Weaving.

Additional LOTR Trivia at imdb.com

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
I like Viggo quite a bit, except... well... when he exclaims certain lines, he sounds very odd. When he says "You cannot wield it!" he sounds like a nasally high school chess team captain.

The funny thing is that his delivery of that line was just fine in the trailer. In the film it sounded whiny.

8 hours, 3 minutes.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Quickbeam said:
I've heard PJ state that they'd made a mistake by casting too young for Aragorn originally, and now I know why. Stuart Townsend would not have been believable in that role, and I say that without attempting to criticize his acting ability. Thanks for the info -- I can finally answer me dear wife :).

I think PJ was being diplomatic - Townsend was dead wrong for the role. He was well-cast as Lestat.

I'm a huge Sean Connery fan - but I'd have hated seeing him as Gandalf. I don't think he would have taken the role seriously enough to invest it with the appropriate gravity - and Gandalf demands gravity. It would have been a too-familiar Sean Connery on the screen, rather than Gandalf.

As it was we got the incomparable Ian McKellen, whose performance no one can question with a straight face. He is Gandalf.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Assenpfeffer said:

I think PJ was being diplomatic - Townsend was dead wrong for the role. He was well-cast as Lestat.

I'm a huge Sean Connery fan - but I'd have hated seeing him as Gandalf. I don't think he would have taken the role seriously enough to invest it with the appropriate gravity - and Gandalf demands gravity. It would have been a too-familiar Sean Connery on the screen, rather than Gandalf.

As it was we got the incomparable Ian McKellen, whose performance no one can question with a straight face. He is Gandalf.

The question is - could Sean Connery have properly delivered the now-immortal screen line:

"YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS!"

So far, I did not see a single mis-cast in this film on the screen. I supposed I shall have to wait until the weekend to see if this is still true. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads