Disney Buys DC: Who Joins The MCU?

I've long thought that an Amalgem Universe crossover movie is the final sign that Superhero movies and cinema are over, last deseperate move.
Don't think we're anywhere near that stage yet. Too many things unmined, especially since things like Guardians of the Galaxy have shown that even obscure comics can produce massive movie windfalls. I'll start worrying for real if we see an Assistant Editors' Month film, much as I'd love to see Aunt May, Herald of Galactus on the big screen. :)

Also, Amalgam's kind of predicated on some degree of parity between the popularity of Marvel and DC, which hasn't really been the case when it comes to cinema to date.

Reynard

Legend
A Green Lantern in the MCU would be interesting, I think. It could even just be Abin Sur, and when he dies in some event movie the ring can choose Frank Castle!

A Green Lantern in the MCU would be interesting, I think. It could even just be Abin Sur, and when he dies in some event movie the ring can choose Frank Castle!

They have a Latern in the MCU, Mrs. Marvel! 🤣 seriously though, her MCU version's powers are basically a prettier version of a Lantern's powers.

I've always been more of a Marvel guy, even before the MCU, more X-Men/Alpha Flight then Avengers, but in more rescent years, I've come to really like Lanterns and Legends of Tomorrow DC side.

Reynard

Legend
And yet, still more plausible than the Punisher. The GL Corps spent a long time with a "no lethal force" policy, and it was still frowned upon last I looked. Doesn't work with Frank at all. Maybe hand him a yellow or red ring instead.
Yellow rings came a lot later. Sinestro was a GL first. And, frankly, the Guardians have never been particularly good at their jobs.

Yellow rings came a lot later. Sinestro was a GL first. And, frankly, the Guardians have never been particularly good at their jobs.
The Guardians are absolutely terrible at everything, and amazingly have managed to get worse rather than better since the Silver Age. I think there's an Alan Scott quote somewhere about how glad he was they were never his bosses - said while talking to either Hal or John or both, IIRC. But Sinestro's been around since Hal's seventh issue in 1961, with his status as an ex-GL with a yellow ring in place. The emotional spectrum stuff (including red rings) is all modern, but Qward made a yellow one way back when, so hardly a Johnny-come-lately lore element there.

Regardless, the mass of established lore about the Lanterns doesn't seem to make them (or even any one of them) a likely pick for the purposes of this thread. There's just too much there to smoothly hammer into the MCU.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If Disney buys DC, I will bust through Kevin Fiege's wall like Kool-Aid Man to stop him from bringing in the rainbow of ring colors that has threatened at times to engulf the DCU in recent years.

How many ineffectual corps of Guardians of Oa types does one comic universe need? And what happens, in 15 years, when kids who grew up with Black Lanterns and Red Lanterns, etc., become comic book creators? Are we going to end up with Cyan Lanterns and Puce Lanterns and Mint Green Lanterns, as they strive to carve out more space on the color wheel? Just, no. This is the DC equivalent of the clone saga and symbiotes.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If Disney buys DC, I will bust through Kevin Fiege's wall like Kool-Aid Man to stop him from bringing in the rainbow of ring colors that has threatened at time to engulf the DCU in recent years.

How many ineffectual corps of Guardians of Oa types does one comic universe need? And what happens, in 15 years, when kids who grew up with Black Lanterns and Red Lanterns, etc., become comic book artists? Are we going to end up with Cyan Lanterns and Puce Lanterns and Mint Green Lanterns, as they strive to carve out more space on the color wheel? Just, no. This is the DC equivalent of the clone saga and symbiotes.

I'm now sad there wasn't a throw away moment in a GotG movie where they each got a separate color force generating ring...

Remove ads