Disney Buys DC: Who Joins The MCU?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Gold Lantern was part of Bendis' LSH reboot and was pretty cool -- the last Lantern in the universe -- although his run overall was a muddled mess that got in the way of his often-great character ideas.
That's Bendis. Although on top of his muddling I will never forgive him for Sentry being in the actual 616 instead of some alternate.

That's Bendis. Although on top of his muddling I will never forgive him for Sentry being in the actual 616 instead of some alternate.
If Sentry had come out from an indy publisher it would probably be remembered as one of the best things to come out that decade. The basic character concept and what you could do with it is that strong. As part of Marvel, not so much. Just squandered potential.

Moonmover

Explorer
I would pick Captain Marvel Shazam and his family. The MCU currently lacks any kid heroes,* which honestly feels like an oversight, and he has more cultural cache than any of the options from Marvel's comics.

*At least, now that Tom Holland is 27.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would never want to see the DC and Marvel Universes merged long-term. It would suck. And it's really difficult to do!

If you've experienced DC's multiple attempts to merge the WildStorm Universe with the DC Universe, and how much of a disservice it's done to both, you would know that it's hard - and that's with the WildStorm Universe being nearly a blank slate! Both the DC and Marvel Universes are MASSIVE.

For a one-shot movie ALA Deadpool? Sure. Let's Do It.

I would never want to see the DC and Marvel Universes merged long-term. It would suck. And it's really difficult to do!

If you've experienced DC's multiple attempts to merge the WildStorm Universe with the DC Universe, and how much of a disservice it's done to both, you would know that it's hard - and that's with the WildStorm Universe being nearly a blank slate! Both the DC and Marvel Universes are MASSIVE.

I choose to interpret this as unintentional support for Major Bummer, which (as I already said) is so nebulously a DC book in the first place it might as well have been an indie comic. :)

Although an Ambush Bug/Deadpool crossover flick might work if you can tolerate the zany. Maybe make it an animated movie and get the rights to the old Marvel and DC cartoons from the 60s and 70s and have them bounce around through them while mocking each other's companies for the shoddy animation?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

As Warner Brothers/Max continues to circle the drain, I wouldn't rule it out. Zaslav is a big fan of franchises, but he also would clearly toss his wife and kids overboard if he thought they would make his lifeboat too heavy.

As Warner Brothers/Max continues to circle the drain, I wouldn't rule it out. Zaslav is a big fan of franchises, but he also would clearly toss his wife and kids overboard if he thought they would make his lifeboat too heavy.
"Honey, what's your life insurance policy worth? And do the kids have coverage? Just asking."

Really not out of the norm for many big businessmen, in and out of Hollywood.

My opinion is the superheroes franchises can't work in the same way now when the new generations are too used to videogames. The characters from these are designed with a balance between power and vulneravility, success and failure. Today for the youngest generations the old superheroes are "broken" ( = OP, overpowered). Today the superheroes what could make more money are those not too powerful, easier to be adapted into videogames.

My suggestion is TTRPG where the own players could enjoy total freedom to add their craziest ideas. Maybe there is a solar system full of "Battleworlds" (last Secret War by Marvel) and "Blood Moons" (Convergence event by DC). How would be a world where the fictional nations from DC and Marvel were empires? For example thanks marriage alliances the Spanish empire and Wakanda were merged. Or medieval Europe destroyed by the war between Markovia and Lavteria.

The bet would be too risky even for the geek community. I suggest to start with some animated production like a test or pilot-episode.

The intercompany crossovers aren't easy because both companies need a lot of agreement and negotations about future reeditions, royalties for the licenced merchandising...

Spoiler: LEGO the comedy DC/Marvel crossover.... and after Fortnite DC/Marvel crossover.

In the past I speculated about DC and Marvel owned by the same company. We can doubt about a Warner/Disney merger, but maybe somebody would become the onwer of both companies. This shouldn't be impossible for somebody with a lot of stock options of the investment funds what "direct" both companies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
My opinion is the superheroes franchises can't work in the same way now when the new generations are too used to videogames. The characters from these are designed with a balance between power and vulneravility, success and failure. Today for the youngest generations the old superheroes are "broken" ( = OP, overpowered). Today the superheroes what could make more money are those not too powerful, easier to be adapted into videogames.
Listening to my teenage son and his friends talk about various series (anime, video-game based, etc...) they still seem to love the heroes and spaceships and weapons that are extremely powerful and don't seem to lose often. Even if they don't play well in the video game, they certainly like it in the fan-fiction.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I would pick Captain Marvel Shazam and his family. The MCU currently lacks any kid heroes,* which honestly feels like an oversight, and he has more cultural cache than any of the options from Marvel's comics.

*At least, now that Tom Holland is 27.

but Power Pack!!
really I dunno if the Shazam family is any better known than any of the kid heroes in Marvel really (Billy Batson is, not so much the others)

plus it looks like Ms Marvel is picking up the family friendly end of the MCU, wouldnt want Billy overshadowing her, which would make the Powers kids a better option

Remove ads