D&D General Whom did you romance in Baldur's Gate 3?

Whom did you romance (or "romance") in Baldur's Gate 3?

• Astarion

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Gale

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Halsin

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Karlach

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Lae'zel

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Minthara

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Shadowheart

Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Wyll

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • No one

Votes: 4 5.1%

Shadowheart first attempt at a full play-through, but ended up not liking her once I got to Act Two, which surprised me, as I liked her in EA.

Karlach, though? Thought I’d hate her, thought she’d be just another edgy character. Instead, I love having her in my party, and she’s become my romance of choice. Her personality reminds me of my wife.only big issue there is that I love playing a barbarian (this game made me love it), and I don’t really want to respec her to another class.

Dausuul

Legend
Am I remembering right, one needs to do something Evil to appeal to Astarion?
Not necessarily. It's quite possible to be a heroic character and still romance Astarion.

The thing to keep in mind is that the "X approves" and "X disapproves" messages aren't all created equal. Sometimes they signal a 1-point shift in approval; sometimes 10 or even 15.

As a rule, the big shifts are for things relevant to the companion's storyline, while the 1-pointers are general worldview stuff. Astarion's worldview is fairly nasty and he likes it when you hurt people or take advantage. But those are 1-point changes, it takes a lot of them to make a difference.

Astarion responds much more strongly to things that affect him directly. Some things that will significantly boost his approval rating:

Don't get mad when you find out he's a vampire
Let him drink your blood
Have sex with him
Help him find out what the scars on his back are
Promise wholehearted support against Cazador

He also cares a lot about being allowed the freedom to make his own choices. There's one scene where he is asked to, more or less, prostitute himself. He approves strongly if you stand up for him and respect his decision (and, conversely, he's upset if you pressure him into doing it).

Other companions are similar. You can have quite different worldviews and still win their approval if you support them in things they really care about. (That said, good-aligned companions do hold you to a certain moral standard. You can be obnoxious and selfish and only get 1-point dings, but crossing certain lines will cost major approval or even make them abandon you then and there. Karlach and Wyll in particular won't tolerate you going full-on Evil.)

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Not necessarily. It's quite possible to be a heroic character and still romance Astarion.

The thing to keep in mind is that the "X approves" and "X disapproves" messages aren't all created equal. Sometimes they signal a 1-point shift in approval; sometimes 10 or even 15.

As a rule, the big shifts are for things relevant to the companion's storyline, while the 1-pointers are general worldview stuff. Astarion's worldview is fairly nasty and he likes it when you hurt people or take advantage. But those are 1-point changes, it takes a lot of them to make a difference.

Astarion responds much more strongly to things that affect him directly. Some things that will significantly boost his approval rating:

Don't get mad when you find out he's a vampire
Let him drink your blood
Have sex with him
Help him find out what the scars on his back are
Promise wholehearted support against Cazador

He also cares a lot about being allowed the freedom to make his own choices. There's one scene where he is asked to, more or less, prostitute himself. He approves strongly if you stand up for him and respect his decision (and, conversely, he's upset if you pressure him into doing it).

Other companions are similar. You can have quite different worldviews and still win their approval if you support them in things they really care about. (That said, good-aligned companions do hold you to a certain moral standard. You can be obnoxious and selfish and only get 1-point dings, but crossing certain lines will cost major approval or even make them abandon you then and there. Karlach and Wyll in particular won't tolerate you going full-on Evil.)

In evil playthrough Wyll left and Karlachs head made a nice ornament.

There's virtually no benefit to going evil though vs good with the occasional evil action.

Zardnaar

Legend
Agreed. While the option exists, you lose a dramatic amount of content unless you know exactly what choices to make.

And the evil options in the game are mostly chaotic evil. There's not much support for lawful evil.

Even then you lose access to key items and change act 3.

Share spear is a lot better than Selunes and it's MVP in some builds.

However if you do that you have to fight Gortashs steel watchers. I had 8 of them in his hall plus mooks 15/16 enemies total.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I didn't romance anyone. That's not why I play games, but apparently BG3 is the most successful dating sim ever.
Yeah, seems kinda weird to be a married 50-something romancing a character in a CRPG. But I suppose its no weirder than enjoying a movie with romance in it. You just get to be a director. I was the same with The Witcher and Yennifer. Hmmm... Yennifer... Shadowheart. Apparently I have a type. :)

Remove ads