• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why choose a conjurer wizard over a druid?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sell me on it. Why would I choose a conjurer wizard over a druid. Admittedly, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as the conjuration wizard---that's their thing. They are supposed to be the best. But when it comes to actual summoning spells, the druid list blows away the wizard list.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Find Familar for a summoned pal that will be by your side 24/7 without concentration (Create Homunculus as well). Since most summoning spells are concentration you want to get more bang from them while they are active; Focused Conjuration and Durable Summons reinforce your summons. Magic Circle + Planar Binding combo to bring more strong creatures under your thrall, and Gate to summon them. Mass Suggestion lets you control some stubborn summons in a pinch. Wish to cast summoning spells the Druid thinks the Conjuror doesn't get.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Because the pollen count is high and messes with your sinuses. Summoning circles work just as good inside, or maybe even better if you consider how bad weather can ruin your perfectly-drawn circle of precious dust that you've been working on for hours.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looking at the actual conjurer arcane tradition, the only ability they have that directly relates to summoning creatures is the 14th level ability that grants extra hit points. The 10th level ability can apply to a summoning spell but also just as easily applies to the many other conjuration spells that require concentration.

Summoning spells that conjurers get that druids don't are: find familiar, flock of familiars, summon lesser demons, summon greater demons, and infernal calling. If those summons in particular are what you are after then those are a good reason to play a conjurer over a druid.

Ashrym

Legend
Sell me on it. Why would I choose a conjurer wizard over a druid. Admittedly, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as the conjuration wizard---that's their thing. They are supposed to be the best. But when it comes to actual summoning spells, the druid list blows away the wizard list.

Conjuration does not equal summoning, but why do you think wizards are entitled "to be the best" just because they are wizards who focus on wizard conjuration spells? Conjurers are better at conjuration than other wizards. Better than other classes is a conclusion to which you've jumped. ;)

Druids being good at summoning is pretty typical. Wizards still have a lot more conjuration spells and a lot of them use concentration.

As for the wizard, I think some players do it trying to abuse minor conjuration, but I think benign transportation and focused conjuration are the winners here for the subclass. Free short range teleportation is useful and concentration proof conjurations are kind of nice.

Plus, the other spells that aren't conjuration are relevant too.

Both are valid and extremely powerful. It's just a different thematic and different set of base tools for the most part.

That said, a druid with ritual caster wizard probably gets more bang for their buck than a wizard with ritual caster druid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads