• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you stay with an earlier edition?

Why did you stay with an earlier edition of D&D?

• I couldn't afford the latest edition.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because the people I play with didn't want to change.

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because I've invested enough in it and didn't want to buy new books.

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • I stayed with an older edition because I felt the new rules weren't as good as the old.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Unabashed Nostalgia. I fell in love with a particular edition.

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • DDI or other electronic support (or lack thereof) caused me to stay with an older edition.

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • I have always adopted the latest version of D&D as soon as it came out.

Votes: 55 24.3%

Steely_Dan

First Post
Poll missing for me too, but, I enjoy all editions (and all have their crap, I could do without), having DMed all (though high level 3rd Ed became the biggest pain).

I am now going back to core, like Mike Mearls (?), starting with Basic (Moldvay, 1981), and adding/changing/house-ruling from there.

I've found removing 1/2 level from all Character's and Monster's Attacks, Defences, and Skills (and halving Monster HP) has helped my 4th Ed experiences.

The Red King

First Post
I never heard anything good about 4.0, and when I finally played it, (and I went in hoping for it to be good) I was very dissapointed.

When I want to play an overpowered setting, I can make my own.

hemera

Explorer
I, along with my group always move to the newest edition. No problems here, but we also play Pathfinder as well. No option for that on the poll. :p

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
My D&D career in a nutshell:

• Started with 2E when I was 10 or 11.
  • Played that until I was 15 or so.
  • Quit D&D until I graduated high school in 2000.
  • Moved back to my home state and my nephew showed me the shiny new 3E book.
  • Looked fun, so we started a campaign. Renewed my appetite for D&D.
  • Played 3E and bought 3.5 as soon as it came out. Dissed on old D&D a lot - no "balance", random stats, blah blah blah.
  • Became jaded with 3.x.
  • 4E released and we adopted it enthusiastically.
  • Played the hell out of 4E for a while and eventually started disliking it a lot. Thought it was because I was burnt out of D&D in general.
  • Spent a long time away from D&D playing everything but D&D and lots of indie and "story" games. Learned a lot.
  • Started delving into OSR. Got interested in D&D again.
  • Joined B/X campaign. Absolutely loved it. Remembered why I loved D&D in the first place.
  • Realized most of the :):):):) talking I did about early editions was unfounded and that early D&D was amazing.
  • Started checking out other D&D clones, like Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Adventurer Conqueror King System.
  • Backed ACKS Kickstarter. Currently running ACKS. Love it.
  • Interested in seeing 5E. Will probably pick it up when it releases. But, will it be good enough to run a full-fledged campaign? Depends a lot on how closely it harkens back to the fundamentals of early D&D, which I have realized is really where a lot of the magic is for me.

The Red King

First Post
My D&D career in a nutshell:

• Started with 2E when I was 10 or 11.
  • Played that until I was 15 or so.
  • Quit D&D until I graduated high school in 2000.
  • Moved back to my home state and my nephew showed me the shiny new 3E book.
  • Looked fun, so we started a campaign. Renewed my appetite for D&D.
  • Played 3E and bought 3.5 as soon as it came out. Dissed on old D&D a lot - no "balance", random stats, blah blah blah.
  • Became jaded with 3.x.
  • 4E released and we adopted it enthusiastically.
  • Played the hell out of 4E for a while and eventually started disliking it a lot. Thought it was because I was burnt out of D&D in general.
  • Spent a long time away from D&D playing everything but D&D and lots of indie and "story" games. Learned a lot.
  • Started delving into OSR. Got interested in D&D again.
  • Joined B/X campaign. Absolutely loved it. Remembered why I loved D&D in the first place.
  • Realized most of the :):):):) talking I did about early editions was unfounded and that early D&D was amazing.
  • Started checking out other D&D clones, like Lamentations of the Flame Princess and Adventurer Conqueror King System.
  • Backed ACKS Kickstarter. Currently running ACKS. Love it.
  • Interested in seeing 5E. Will probably pick it up when it releases. But, will it be good enough to run a full-fledged campaign? Depends a lot on how closely it harkens back to the fundamentals of early D&D, which I have realized is really where a lot of the magic is for me.
I started a decade before you with the legendary "boxed sets", but have the same kind of reactions to most of the things you stated. But my other stuff was Shadowrun, and a little bit of White Wolf.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I started with Unearthed Arcana back in '87 not knowing anything about the game or having any one who wanted to play. Needless to say it was confusing.

Then 2nd edition came out in '89 and my friends played that solid throughout most of our high school years. It sucked, but we didn't really know what it was about either. (At least I could understand it better than UA as a stand alone)

The early 90s was college for me and I played a bunch of games including D&D. Didn't care much for Magic, but still read a ton of games and played D&D with a college group a few years. That's where I first encountered some of the really, really old school crowd from the 70s.

The late 90s were largely a suckfest for D&D, but I played a bunch of other games broadening out into everything.

Then 3.0 drew me back into D&D about a year after it's initial release. That led to a handful of average to lousy groups and DMs until about 2003 when 3.5 came out. Then I stumbled into a solid group with a very capable DM. Around this time I became more involved online in the gaming community too.

Then Summer of '04 after our DM left another player began an OD&D campaign. That pretty much showed I had barely the first clue about RPGs and D&D in general and I started searching around for all sorts of odd answers and clarity on what was happening at our table.

Now I've moved, but still work on improving my own refereeing ability, understanding of the game, and a working program for it. Still online too, but that's 50/50 good and bad. Lots and lots of people have begun to make interesting material in the last 5 years, so that's good.

Remove ads