• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why do you like single or multi classing

Bolares

Hero
Most ideas can be done in a subclass? sure. But sometimes it's not exactly what you wanted, or a multiclass could be smoother/represent your concept better.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, exactly. I really am not a fan of system mastery as a part of gameplay. At least definitely if it means that the newbie or the person trying to stick to thematic character development feels like they are playing a wildly different game/don't feel like they could play in the same group as someone looking to play optimization-fu. There's always going to be best and least-best options in a game (at least if decisions matter at all), but I'd like them to be in a constrained spread (best build is no more than maybe 25-30% higher than regular reasonable choices, and certainly such that good decision-making in-game can wildly override optimization at character creation/level up).
The mechanics and the flavor have never really lined up (yet). I would love for a system to allow organic play alongside system mastery play. Though, you usually end up giving up the goods for one group or the other. 3E was punishing to non-optimized players and the gulf is probably the largest in D&D history. 4E kept tight to the guiderails with hybrid approach. Its a hard nut to crack and even 5E doesnt satify everybody, but seems to be good enough for most people. What is the saying? "Everyone's second favorite edition?"
I can see an appeal to that. At that point, though, I don't understand why one would stick with D&D at all in that case. Games like Hero System or SWADE let you build exactly what you want, nothing you don't want, so long as you stay within a build budget, and apply the thematic layer on top at the end.
D&D/PF have a plethora of published adventures and supplements. They also have the largest player bases. That is a clear advantage to them. I have tried some classless systems and I didn't care for them. I want the classes, archetypes, multiclassing, and prestige classes as my building blocks available. I will always have this with PF1 so im good. Though, the closer D&D gets the happier I'll be. (Though, I think staying in the casual lane 2nd best edition is a winning strategy for WOTC)

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Really? News to me!

I got turned off by what I read during the playtest releases. Maybe I should give it another peek.
Sure "everyone" is hyperbole, its just a sayin. There are folks that downright hate 5E. Though, in my parts the saying that 5E is the game you want to run, but not the game you want to play. 🤷‍♂️

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wait, are you surprised 5e is popular?
I’ve seen the numbers, so I KNOW it’s popular.

I also know that its sales figures could be due more to expanding the market with new players as compared to bringing a major chunk of the installed player base as implied by “everyone’s second favorite edition”.

Purely from the anecdotal side, I’m in a larger than average game group (8+ core players and some casuals who join occasionally), and nobody’s spent a dollar on 5th.

Bolares

Hero
I’ve seen the numbers, so I KNOW it’s popular.

I also know that its sales figures could be due more to expanding the market with new players as compared to bringing a major chunk of the installed player base as implied by “everyone’s second favorite edition”.

Purely from the anecdotal side, I’m in a larger than average game group (8+ core players and some casuals who join occasionally), and nobody’s spent a dollar on 5th.
Ah, got it. I think our own experiences shape or views a lot. My group can't get enough of it, and I have to convince them to play something different now and then. But as payn said, it's so easy to run I end up relenting.

Remove ads