• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why do you multiclass?

Why do you multiclass?

• To maximize overall build (damage, combinations of abilities, etc.)

Votes: 42 26.6%
  • For RP reasons.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I generally don't multiclass.

Votes: 62 39.2%

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
most interesting role player.jpg

Mercule

Adventurer
Neither maximizing nor role-playing reasons, in my case. I usually multiclass to achieve a concept I'm not managing to pull with a single classed character. For example, I wanted to create a Raiden-like character for a friend's game, and I used a multiclass monk/tempest cleric to achieve that.

In fact, must players I know multiclass for similar reasons. The fighter/mage build is probably the poster child for this phenom.
What you described is exactly how I interpreted "for RP reasons". I actually don't see any other way to define it. While there would be a tie between a character's skills and his identity, a PC who changed "profession" may not change class, while one who changes class may not see themselves as changing professions. The Conan was a "thief", but that doesn't make him a rogue. And the bard who "finds god" and takes up the cloth isn't automatically going to change his spell-casting regiment.

I absolutely despise the idea that a character labels themselves by class -- that's a player tool, only. I've actually established organizations of "Paladins" and "Rangers" in my home brew, just to make that a difficult proposition. Having a member of the Paladin Order fly into a berserker rage or facing down a band of fireball-tossing Rangers will really mess with assumptions.

Some characters are multiclassed for the same reason some real-life people have degrees in multiple fields. Human beings are flexible; a career choice does not have to be exclusive.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Role-play reasons, as well as feel and theme.

Example:

I'm running my group through the Slave Lords path. I put in an NPC (that is now pretty much a solid member of the group) that was a Half-Orc Barbarian, raised amongst his own, but through his backstory found a source of enlightenment to harness and control that blood lust and rage. So he's a Barbarian/Monk at current. Its not entirely optimal, for sure, but he certainly still carries his weight and tells a vast story merely by his actions and appearance. (Shrugging off blows with a high Con as opposed to dodging with Wisdom, in example.)

I'm very happy with the multi-classing balance in 5e, for this very reason.

Except for my latest character, all my 5e PCs are multiclass. I'd say it's in large part RP, since these are my concepts of archetypes I think would be fun to play. But certainly some level of character effectiveness is present since I like playing competent and formidable characters.

* Fighter [Battlemaster] (6) / Rogue [Assassin] (5) ... Character is a wood elf bounty hunter with wicked long bow skills (including SS). Model is more or less Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name" but more stealthy/acrobatic. Moves fast, hits hard and rarely misses. Will remain a Fighter from this point out.

* Paladin [Vengeance] (5) / Fighter [Champion] (3) ... Character is a half-orc Paladin of Tyr. Model is Judge Dredd (sort of). Heavily armored, divine-smiting juggernaut of death and tilted justice who has a soft spot for damsels and animals in distress. Will triple-class into Sorcerer (half orc = half orc & half succubus, will take red draconic bloodline to represent infernal heritage) after his fourth Fighter level.

* Wizard [Evoker] (5) / Cleric [Knowledge] (1) ... Character is a forest gnome wizard and acolyte of Mystra. Model is another D&D character I played many years ago. Will remain a wizard from this point out.

* Bard [Lore] (3) ... Half-elven noble scion. Model is Flynn Carson (The Librarian) meets Ivan Doroschuk (lead singer of Men Without Hats in the Safety Dance video). No plans for a multi-class at this point, but I like what I've seen of the swashbuckler from SCAG...

Last edited:

sleypy

Explorer
I don't know if it would be roleplaying reason, but I just wanted a Goliath warlock in heavy armor. I didn't really care if it made the character stronger/weaker; wasn't particularly important to his concept.

pdegan2814

First Post
I'm multi-classing Fighter/Rogue at the moment. I had started intending to run a straight archery-based Fighter, but then dipped into Rogue to boost my skills as the "sneaky" one of our group, as it was something we were lacking. Getting that Expertise in Stealth and Thieves' Tools has helped me be a much better sneak and point man for the party. Cunning Action has definitely improved my battlefield mobility, especially when we're in somewhat tight quarters and I can use that bonus Disengage to get repositioned without anyone taking a swipe at me. So for me the reasons were part practical, and part "hey, this looks like fun!"

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I will on occasion multi-class, if the mood and concept strike me.

I have never really done it for power reasons though.

Usually when a concept does have enough of that certain something with just one class.

For example, my last multi-classing adventure, I wanted to play a skald like character. Kind of that warrior poet/bard. However, to me valor bard did not feel like it had enough 'umph' melee combat wise as this Skald would be following his Lord into battle and needed the ability to survive to accurately tell the tale. So a bit of multi-classing was had.

I would not say that it made him more powerful, but it certainly felt versatile and exactly how I was picturing my character to function.

Cette

Villager
I tend to run odd ball builds to keep myself amused on top of the roleplaying so Multi classing happens a lot. More often than not I'm optimizing secondary things just to get those characters back to power parity with a decent single class though so it's certainly not for the power increases.

Examples:
Halfling Barbarian 3 Bear totem/open hand monk the rest. Played as not so much a traditional monk but as a totemic warrior who channels primal spirits through his body to achieve effects that just so happen to be mechanically identical to a monk.

A 4th Kobold Hybrid Rune Priest/Barbarian. He studied the the runes in an attempt to use their power to become a full dragon. When that didn't work out the backup plan was using his newfound understanding of the building blocks of the universe to smash people in the face more effectively. Also one of the fire close blast powers made a pretty good fluff sub in for dragons breath.

And not Multiclass but definitely oddball a Half Drow ancients paladin who was covered in growing plants and dual wielded whips that were thorned vines produced by the plants. Roughly based off the MAXX in personality. Not super in tune with what's going on around him and no past but feels compelled to help.

Will admit I'm not super fond of people who always do it for power boosts.

Uchawi

First Post
My favorite character was a dual class ranger/illusionist with psionics, but overall I do it to fill a mechanical niche or to role-play. If I have a character generator then I tend to get into the optimizing power building aspect, because there is no way I am going to go through all that with a piece of paper and books.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads