D&D 5E Why FR Is "Hated"

Remathilis

Legend
Do you really need people to complain about companies never doing something that they have never done? Like how Pizza Hut never makes Burgers?

I mean what is up with that?
Paizo is a company manned by many former WotC staff, selling a product to many former D&D players; and yet neither group has stopped to think "hey, D&D supported multiple settings, but Pathfinder can't?"

The problem is that WotC finally learned the lesson of TSR that Paizo has known for a while; multiple settings dilute the brand and split the player base. It creates books people instinctively don't buy (during 3.5 I bought any book that has Eberron in the title while ignoring the ones that said Realms, despite the fact I could easily use Realms stuff in Eberron). It creates turf wars where purists insist that deathtrap Dungeons and elemental cults only belong to one world. In short, unless you have a fanbase so large you can afford them to be picky, one generic setting is the best way to go.

Paizo knows this. WotC figured it out, and picked the most generic and still most well known setting to Golarionize.

Yeah, it sucks a bit, esp as an Eberron fan. But I know why they chose to do it. And I accept Faerun as a decent all-in setting. It lets me tell stories of Shakespearean Giants, liches in the jungle, demons running amok underground, etc.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
One thing I still don't get is WOTC deciding that the primary mode of relating updated Realms material will be in adventures.

They decided that more people will buy adventures than will buy setting books. Basically: Money.

I prefer setting books, but I'm not really their target audience anymore.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's a non-sequitur. I don't care about the NPCs who aren't mentioned in the source material. They may exist in your version of the setting, but they don't exist in mine, and probably won't exist in the minds of my players. Elminster wouldn't be as much of a problem if he wasn't one of the first things people thought of when they heard "Forgotten Realms".
It's not a non-sequitur. Poweful NPCs, mentioned or not, are relevant to the idea that they somehow make the PCs feel inferior. It doesn't matter if a specific non-mentioned NPC is the same for both your game and mine, they exist in both worlds unless you run a wholly unbelievable game. You're attempting to dodge by claiming non-sequitur, which is understandable since you can't admit to it without it destroying your position. I fully expected a dodge when I wrote that and wasn't disappointed.

No, he was 18th level (DLA pg 110.) And it says "At this point in his life, Par-Salian would like very much to give up the burden of heading the Conclave ... Under no circumstances will Par-Salian leave the Tower of Wayreth." Elistan, an 18th level Cleric says "He now wants only to die in peace."
My bad. I forgot it was 18th level. 18th was still enough to overshadow the War of the Lance PCs for most or all of the modules(can't remember what level the PCs finish at).

Yes, because many, many games have run to the point where the PCs are 35th level.
If you can claim non-sequitur, so can I. The vast majority of games don't even reach 10th level from all the polling released over the years. That makes the even the 15th and 18th level NPCs in the various settings one that "overshadow" the PCs. 35th is kinda irrelevant if you have been overshadowed by 15th level NPCs for your entire career.

MackMcMacky

First Post
I don't do much with modules. Can you give examples?
I'll try to get back to you on this. As you can imagine, I haven't bothered looking at those modules for many years. What I remember was Elminster came up quite a bit in the modules I purchased and was used more heavy-handedly than I would have ever used my world's "Gandalf".

Remove ads