D&D 5E Why Good Rogues Should Not Use a Bow

Awesome Adam

First Post
No it's not. It's in the DMG.

Which last time I checked, was one of the three core rulebooks.

It's not a house rule. It's not something from the Dungeon Master's Guild, Unearthed Arcana, a blog, or an Enworld thread.

Like I said, it's perfectly fine if it's a rule your gaming group chooses not to use, but let's not pretend that if you don't like it, it's not an official rule, from an official source.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Which last time I checked, was one of the three core rulebooks.

It's not a house rule. It's not something from the Dungeon Master's Guild, Unearthed Arcana, a blog, or an Enworld thread.

Like I said, it's perfectly fine if it's a rule your gaming group chooses not to use, but let's not pretend that if you don't like it, it's not an official rule, from an official source.
It's in a core book yes. That does not making it core. It's inclusion to a table is indeed a house rule. The player handbook lists the mechanics a player has, that it what is core. Technically anything optional is house rule, although their is a strong sense of entitlement towards options in the PHB.

Fine, but let's also not pretend that official rules from official sources are any more meaningful than house rules that I just made up.

We can all assume that the default rules for the base game are in effect, unless they aren't. Default rules mean fast healing, no feats, no multiclassing, no flanking, no third-party or SCAG or AG or UA or anything.

Once you cross that line, all bets are off. Maybe dual-wielding is less important for melee rogues in your game because you're using the flanking rule. That's great for you, but there's no way that anyone else could know what you're talking about unless you specifically tell them what relevant changes you have made beyond the default game. It's no different than if you had a house rule that sneak attack applied to every attack, or worked with heavy weapons. The rules in the book support both official and house options equally.

- Also applies at range.
- A fair point, but it competes with bonus action hide for actual advantage.
- Not with dual wielding it's not. Also normally unnecessary on a ranged build.
- Not adjacent to need to get away when ranged. Also available to ranged builds.

Soo, you were saying? :p
Okay... :)

1) my mistake, I thought this only applies to melee, so there's only the -2 for firing into melee
2) the hiding in melee when everybody is watching is debatable
3) with dual wielding I don't mean the feat, just 2 short swords, but okay, that kills the bonus action...

corwyn77

Adventurer

1) my mistake, I thought this only applies to melee, so there's only the -2 for firing into melee
3) with dual wielding I don't mean the feat, just 2 short swords, but okay, that kills the bonus action...

1) Still not a thing
2) No one has claimed an ability to hide while melee attacking your opponent
3) Yes it does

Which basically nullifies all of your claims. Yes, melee allows for two attacks (pseudo-advantage if you wish) while range allows for hide-and-shoot if there is sufficient cover around, more mobility, less damage taken usually, and attack options while scouting that don't get you bogged down in melee.

Valetudo

Explorer

I think the hide for bonus action is for range, is what he meant.

Valetudo

Explorer
So, to me the great thing about the rogue is the fact that he does both melee and range fairly well. I dont think he excels at either one but has the option for both. Although he really needs a melee buddy if he wants to go melee himself. I think what the other party members are will kinda help decide wether the rogue focuses on melee or range.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Okay.

I meant hiding for ranged attacks.
While everybody's watching?

Admittedly, this will depend on whether or not your DM allows you to use cover to hide-and-shoot, and to lean around cover/corners and shoot without losing stealth. As a DM, I do, my current DM does as well. It's a more cinematic way of looking at it. Rule of Cool and all that. If he didn't, then I would adapt and play a different way, no big deal. We also have flanking in the game so it's even easier to get Advantage that way and I may go that route when I'm not scouting once I get Uncanny Dodge.

Remove ads