• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why has WotC stopped posting on ENWorld?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think he was making that broad a generalization. I think he was pointing out that the vitriol in the comments section of...wherever he visited...was of such a nature that it seemed radically out of proportion to the nature of the subject matter, in support of Morrus' observation on the contents of social media.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
I don't think he was making that broad a generalization. I think he was pointing out that the vitriol in the comments section of...wherever he visited...was of such a nature that it seemed radically out of proportion to the nature of the subject matter, in support of Morrus' observation on the contents of social media.

No, he compared his gaming preferences getting mocked (presumably for non-OSR games), to being persecuted based on his race by white supremacists.

That is a whole other level of "you need to get out of your parent's basement if you think people having different gaming biases than you is in any way similar to you being discriminated against".

That shows a fragile ego, and a complete lack of perspective on what real discrimination feels like. Having your game dissed doesn't count, sorry. It's posts like these where I'm frankly ashamed to be a part of any gaming community.

Get out of this forum. Live more, read more, talk to people, experience life a bit. People not liking 4th edition doesn't make them similar in any way to white supremacists persecuting you. It's high time somebody called out such outrageous absurdity. It's a level of abstraction from reality that can only be accounted for by being coddled by a cadre of dittoheads isolated and living in a bubble.

I'm not even an OSR gamer, and I feel it's slander. And before anyone dares call my response to his edition warring, let me remind you, I did not compare 4vengers to white supremacists. I was called a terrorist on the Wotc forums for not liking a particular game rule and wanting it removed, it's up to the mods here at this website to show they are any better by deleting that vile slander. If 4vengers can call others white supremacists, or compare them to that, without any repercussions, that betrays a complete double standard. One which I've never seen OSR gamers use in any post on Facebook, G+ or anywhere else. They usually simply say, "I hate 4th edition, it sux. Anything later than 2e/3e is dumb". That's the extent of it. To then take that to this forum and slander the entire community like that, in such a backhanded fashion, must be responded to.

Stop it. Immediately.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No, he compared his gaming preferences getting mocked (presumably for non-OSR games), to being persecuted based on his race by white supremacists.
He wrote:
I followed a guy with some cred in the OSR community on G+ for literally a single day before the comments following something he posted turned into the most foul-mouthed, hair-raising group ad hominem in absentia against All Games Not OSR And The [Plural Expletive Deleted] Who Participate In Them.

So, first, it wasn't him being attacked, but the words of another person.

Second, if, as he says, the person had cred on the OSR community, then they turned on one of their own, presumably for expressing something positive about a non-OSR game.

IOW, it had nothing to do with his own gaming preferences. At least, not from what he wrote there.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
He wrote:

So, first, it wasn't him being attacked, but the words of another person.

Second, if, as he says, the person had cred on the OSR community, then they turned on one of their own, presumably for expressing something positive about a non-OSR game.

IOW, it had nothing to do with his own gaming preferences. At least, not from what he wrote there.

He wrote, and I quote:

Holy cow are you not kidding. I followed a guy with some cred in the OSR community on G+ for literally a single day before the comments following something he posted turned into the most foul-mouthed, hair-raising group ad hominem in absentia against All Games Not OSR And The [Plural Expletive Deleted] Who Participate In Them. It was chilling, at least considering the venue. I mean, you'd expect this stuff from a political community, or possibly a group of white supremacists.

This is slander. Tarring OSR gamers through guilt by association.

Would it be acceptable to refer to OSR gamers on Enworld as terrorists or nazis? Probably, "white surpemacists" is just a slightly less inflammatory slur.

If this isn't rectified, I'm not posting here again. Shame on this DMZ guy, this is well beyond edition warring. Since I'm new here, I don't feel the need to hold back. I don't want to be a part of a community where it's okay to call others who disagree with you such things anyway.

If it were, I would unleash hell in retaliation, trust me. Spoiled children with zero life experience and thus zero perspective on anything, would be the least thing I might start with. And that would be me being very polite.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Calling people who hate 4th ed similar to white supremacists betrays your own inability to accept criticism and an inherent bigotry which is bordering on personal attack.

Don't insinuate that people who like classic D&D better than modern iterations are similar to white supremacists EVER AGAIN. Otherwise you and I are going to have a big problem here.

I'm genuinely sorry if I offended you, DDNFan, because that was honestly not my intent. I have no axe to grind against any D&D fan. I wish I could say the same for the folks I overheard. I certainly don't (and didn't) link their behavior with their choice of game, or with others who enjoy that game.

I've gone back and voluntarily edited my original post, because [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] is dead on -- the link to [game genre redacted] is relevant only in the context that we were talking about gamers on social media. If I'd thought there was any risk of anyone making a "fans of a certain game are Nazis" leap of logic I would not have specified, but the thought didn't even occur to me. I'll own the responsibility for that shortsightedness.

If a group of people are talking about games (or any topic, really) and their level of vitriolic rhetoric reaches the point where their are proposing separation from society, sterilization, or violent euthanasia* for folks with opinions that differ from their own, there is something fundamentally bad going on. If it takes forum moderation to knock people like that down a peg (or out of the discussion entirely, if that's what is necessary), then I say bring on the forum moderation!

(*Regarding separation, sterilization, or euthanasia, please note that I am not picking these topics at random. I drew my original analogy with intent -- just not the intent you perceived.)

I have to laugh at anyone seeming surprised (I assume that's what your italics implies) that the OSR community turned on one of their own. I can only assume you're not familiar with their normal behaviour.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a lawyer and trained mediator- even without exposure to the OSR community, I'm familiar enough with human behavior to extrapolate... Besides, such behavior in general has been the topic of this thread since post #1.

So.

Now we've had a public apology. Will there be reciprocity?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@DDNFan, you need to calm down. The post reports about you from multiple threads are starting to mount up. When you transition from a guest into a chore, I think you can guess what happens. Reign yourself in, please, in this thread and elsewhere.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I have to laugh at anyone seeming surprised (I assume that's what your italics implies) that the OSR community turned on one of their own. I can only assume you're not familiar with their normal behaviour.

Is this really where you wanted to go with this post? Did you really intend to do pretty much exactly what DDNFan was complaining about - issuing a broad and insulting generalization?

Remove ads