D&D 5E Why the claim of combat and class balance between the classes is mainly a forum issue. (In my opinion)

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Yes, I'm somewhat puzzled by this imputation of a monolithic set of principles to "The Forge". The only principles that apply to The Forge as such, I would have thought, are sincerity in discussion: talk honestly about actual play, and post under your own name. The Forge also advocates for player-protagonist RPGing, but is not hostile to other forms of RPGing in which players make meaningful decisions (eg gamism).

I don't find it puzzling at all, and I find it puzzling that you do:confused:.

That Edwards' theory/philosophy/terminology has spread so far to end up influencing so much conversation outside the Forge...and then people get pointed to the Forge when they don't understand the terms...doesn't help any either. Overall, the site does (IMO) a very poor job distinguishing its presentation of the theories as distinct from the other portions of its mission.Take a look at the "Story Now" essay page. Is there a disclaimer anywhere that these views don't represent the views of the Forge, or that they only represent the views of the author? If there is, it doesn't show on my browser. Do you figure that a person going to that page to discover what you or I mean by Narrativism is going to take the time to explore the rather large forums and discover that games are developed there that do not adhere to the GNS theory? I wouldn't expect so, and given the presentation of the articles, and the fact that most article pages list Edwards as one of the site admins...I think the default impression would be that the Forge develops games in accordance to the GNS theories of its admins.

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], in one of our earliest encounters on this site, you identified yourself as a "Forgite" (or something similar, Forgist maybe?). Surely you meant to imply something more significant with that than you have participated in their forums, yes? I am fairly confident, given the context, that you meant to imply that you accept the general conclusions of the GNS theories, etc. and not that you adhere/advocate the principles you outline above. (Not that you don't adhere to those, but I'm fair sure its not what you meant by introducing yourself as a Forgite.) You didn't, for example, identify yourself as a GNSian or Edwardsian. If I'm right about that, it shouldn't be too hard to see how others associate the Forge with that theory and its implementation in game design more than simply promoting indie games, or the indie definitions you have cited.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game - 1st rule of a successful game - but note that this Wall of Force trick example is also a great example of something a fighter or other non-spellcaster would ever, ever be able to get away with in any but the most cartoonish D&D game. And since that's one of the (many) points of this interminable thread...

Yea, and thats why no one played fighters...except for the accasional level dip...

Like I said - it's cool your group had fun.

I would have thought the ensuing fight or flight would be quite fun. Plus, given how easily this could be used to kill a PC or any future foe disallowing it preserves future fun.

I cant imagine it ever working on a human... it only worked becuse of the size/scale diffrence... when the dragon opens wide a PC could crawl in it's mouth... and it was mocking him with laughter (so mouth wide) it was't just "hey i can cast this in anybodies mouth... agian the trick was.used once at 9th level and not again until epic...and that time with a permenancy

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
even if you don't like the idea, and disagree with the ruleing, what is the harm in trying? and why would your group go to physical violence over it?
It would be the same for us. And the reason people would dislike it is because it is CHEATING in a rather obvious and large way. I always think "If this was any other game than D&D and someone pulled this crap would we allow it?" Like, say we were playing Monopoly and someone said "I move my car to Boardwalk because I rolled a 6 and when I roll a 6 I can move wherever I want to." I'm guessing everyone at the table would laugh, and say NO! If we were playing street hockey and someone knocked the puck into someone's driveway and into their basketball net and said "That's one point for our team, I got the puck in the net!", we'd all laugh. If we thought for one second that the person was serious, we'd likely be too dumb struck over the stupidity to even speak.

To me, this is the exact same situation. The game is designed in such a way that it is impossible for a level 9 party to defeat a CR 24 dragon. The game purposefully doesn't give you abilities that are capable of harming the dragon. In fact, half the rules of the game are literally designed specifically to make sure PCs at a certain level can only fight monsters close to their level. Then someone comes along and says "I'd like to try something that the rules specifically say is impossible that would allow me to win when the game says I can't."

ok, I'm at a loss here... why is it bad?

outcome 1 (I disallow it from working) PCs must now fight a much more powerful dragon, and weaither win, lose or run
Nothing wrong with this option. If the monster was put into the game expecting a fair fight, then let them fight fairly. If you assumed they were going to run, perfect. They can run. If the intent was that the PCs would need to negotiate and battle was guaranteed death...well, that can happen too.

Out come 2 (one I choose) PCs get a cool nitch in there belt and we keep going...
As I've said, this harms the future of the game. It becomes a trick they can try again to defeat other creatures. Maybe ones you actually care if they survive or not. It also makes the PCs rather brazen. How are you going to act when you defeated a CR 24 dragon with one spell without rolling? You are now the ultimate badasses. No one can ever threaten you again, no matter how powerful they are. Just wait for them to open their mouth and throw in a wall of force.

Not to mention the treasure. A dragon of that size should have huge amounts of magic items and treasure according to the rules. +5 swords lying all over his lair would be the common thing. Do the PCs now get all that? Is it good for your game for the PCs to have level 24 treasure at level 9? If the treasure isn't there, then why? Will the PCs now go in search of it? With enough spells, they can certainly divine its location.

Even if you don't allow the trick to work again for arbitrary reasons(and can convince your players that it doesn't work again), the addition of those magic items or to gold to buy or craft magic items of that level will clearly make them WAY more powerful than the game expects them to be for their level.

Not to mention the XP for defeating a CR 24 creature should be so great that they'd all go up a couple of levels from the one battle. If you have more battles planned for the rest of the adventure, does that now invalidate them because they are too low level to harm the party?

Outcome 3 (I find loop hole to stop it) we loose X amount of game tiem where X is me pouring over books...
It might only take 30 seconds or a minute. I figure that's ample time to decide whether the party gains 3 levels and millions of gold with one spell or not.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I cant imagine it ever working on a human... it only worked becuse of the size/scale diffrence... when the dragon opens wide a PC could crawl in it's mouth... and it was mocking him with laughter (so mouth wide) it was't just "hey i can cast this in anybodies mouth... agian the trick was.used once at 9th level and not again until epic...and that time with a permenancy
I don't see why it wouldn't work on a human. It can be sized to any size according to your ruling. You can see the inside of their mouth when they talk. Done.

I would certainly be using it again on the next creature I saw and arguing if it was ruled against. I understand your players didn't. But mine would. Heck, *I* would. My players would be quoting me right back to myself saying "You said it worked before....there's NO reason it shouldn't work again unless you are trying to screw us."

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
they said a small or mediam creature can be swallowed by it... so it is big enough to be a passage way and can be blocked...
True, but one would figure that it has some muscles just like humans do that close of their throat unless they are swallowing so you can't see down the whole thing. It should also curve so being able to see in its mouth wouldn't let you see very deep into its throat, especially when its head is likely 20 feet above the ground which is a really poor angle for that sort of thing.

I don't really care I thought it was cool at the time,,,
seems like an OK ruleing... but would take WAY too much time at the table for me...
WAY too much time to say something like "since you can only see his throat for brief periods of time while he's talking. It takes about 3 seconds to cast a spell which is enough time for him to stop talking, use his arcana skill to figure out what spell you are casting and turn at an angle that prevents you from seeing your target, I'm going to give him a reflex save to prevent it from working"?

Or to even avoid the rambling explanation and just say "I'm going to give him a reflex save".

Heck, "I cast a spell at the dragon" seems a lot like saying "Roll initiative, we're starting a fight. Let's see if I get my spell off before the dragon acts." Which, in the cast of a CR 24 dragon it is almost guaranteed that the dragon goes first and kills the caster before he finishes the words for the spell.

I only see it as cheating if you get something you shouldn't all we got was a funny story....
I'm not looking for a funny story when I play a D&D game. Well, I am, but the funny stories are told outside of the game. The game itself is meant to be as "realistic" a simulation of living in a fantasy D&D world as possible.

This same thing likely would have happened at our table. Someone would suggest using a wall of force to choke the dragon. We all would laugh, saying how stupid that would be if it actually worked. I'd laugh as the DM that someone would think I'd allow them to break the game like that. I'd say "Roll for initiative then if you are going to attack the dragon. There is no surprise round because you can both see each other". Then the player would say "No, I'm just joking. I know that dragon would kill us...I don't want to die."

Then we'd all tell the story of how it would have been funny if the DM allowed it and they'd have gone up 3 levels and gotten a million gold and been the most powerful people in the world. But it would stay just that, a funny story about how the DM was smart enough not to allow it.

very good general rule, and I do so as well a lot of the time...
I do it EVERY time. Allowing it even once is a bane to your game. The players realize that all they need to do to win is make you laugh. Then every battle becomes a battle to see who can come up with the silliest plan first.

I don't see that slippery slope here the circumstances where rather uniqe... so no worry about wall of force spams... it really only works as a surprise attack on a huge target that is staying on one place and yapping...
This seems like a poor explanation as to why it can't be done again. I wouldn't be satisfied with that explanation. It feels arbitrary like my success in a battle is entirely up to the DM. If he wants us to be able to kill a CR 24 dragon without a roll, we get to....but use it on anything he wants to stay alive and it suddenly doesn't work. What's the point of having abilities on my character sheet if I have no idea whether one is going to work from battle to battle? What's the point in rolling dice if the DM is just going to decide whether we win on a whim?

so let them have one or two big impossible victories but don't let them make it a habbit...
No, impossible victories need to stay impossible for the purpose of sanity and the integrity of the game world. Ancient dragons like that are extremely feared for a reason. They are extremely powerful and it takes near godly level magic to defeat them. Having them die in one spell without a roll affects the perception of them. By the players, the PCs, the other people in the campaign world, and most importantly ME. I don't want dragons to be considered jokes in my game. I don't want to avoid using them as an enemy because they can be defeated too easily.

sounds cool, I would have had enemy troops rift or teleport right into the bulding and take it over and make the PCs fight to reclaim it... then I would have the people who did it write humilateing things on the walls and wrech something the PCs cared about "You did what to my game system?" then teleport out... most likely the PCs would track them down... but I can't see a long run in the game...
It wasn't that cool. It was a string a battle encounters that ended in one press of a button. Followed by me hinting that they should follow the adventure I had planned out since I put a lot of effort into writing up NPCs and a storyline that I thought was kind of awesome. Followed by them saying "No...you just want us to leave our warehouse so you can kill us.." Followed by me getting so frustrated that I gave up running the game.

I like to keep the in game separate from the out of game. Sure, the players were being jerks out of the game. But their characters were just doing what made the most sense. The world doesn't suddenly become deadlier because I have a beef with the players. My NPCs don't know anything about what happened out of the game.

All it really taught me is that it would have never gotten that bad if I hadn't allowed them to do something obviously game braking simply because they wanted to and it was funny.

innerdude

Legend
Well I can say from experience that this was exactly what the new players being brought into 4e through encounters were learning, I attended a few because I felt like there was something about 4e I wasn't getting, I guess you had to buy a copy of DitV to get all the stuff you're citing... of course I also long ago voiced my suspicions that 4e advocates such as you and @pemerton were using indie-rpg experience and texts to drift (not sure if drift is exactly what I am trying to say perhaps steer is a better word) 4e into narrativism, much more than the PHB, DMG and MM ever did.

And this is totally valid! @pemerton proved to me long ago that his style of scene framing and fictional positioning are well-supported in 4e, and allow for the kinds of player narrative control he enjoys.

The problem, as you discovered Imaro, is that the baseline 4e physical presentation shifted the focus dramatically towards gamist combat resolution. If all of the "narrativist goodness" is actually in 4e and could be grasped as @Manbearcat described, then we should have seen a dramatic shift to adopt 4e as a radically improved overall D&D play experience---because now not only was the tactical gamism improved through balance and ease of preparation for "step on up," but the narrative elements should have created a broader play experience that was superior, or at least comparable to what prior-edition players wanted in the non-combat areas.

That didn't happen.

And it's my postulate that this was because ultimately 4e failed to serve ANY of the desired masters. The gamists, while finding 4e enjoyable, probably felt like they were having to fight against the whole "Why do I have to pretend to be an elf to do this exactly?" To a gamist, the choice of race and class has little to do with "their character's place in the fiction," it's about challenge optimization. The D&D "sacred cows" and conceits of the RPG as an entertainment medium were getting in the way of their fun. Even as tailored to "step on up" as 4e is, playing D&D is an awful lot of hard work if all you're really interested in is character-building for tactical encounter challenges. There's lots of other easier gamist paths with less time investment, and more immediate payoff than an RPG.

The narrativists, except in some rare cases with talented GMs, a la @pemerton and @Manbearcat, kept banging their heads against the gamist overtones and presentation, wondering why the "delve" format sucked so bad.

And the simulationists just threw their hands up in the air and said, "Because 'Come and Get It,' and Justin Alexander FTW."

Compare this to Fate, which has gamist elements, but makes almost zero attempt to make the gamists "feel good about themselves" while playing it. Fate makes its narrativist aspirations known, up front and center. It's very unambiguous the type of game you should ostensibly be having with Fate.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Honestly, some people don't want to be proactive. I've played in both kinds of games. I want a story told to me. I get super frustrated in sandbox games because I feel like the DM is offloading his or her work to me. Instead of them coming up with an interesting plot, they expect me to.

Since I don't show up to games expecting to put this effort in, my character's often have little motivation. I expect the adventure and the DM to give me motivation, not the other way around.

For instance, my current character in one of the D&D games I'm in is a book worm who spends his time at the church library researching the past of his goddess who used to be a mortal before
she ascended.

In my sandbox games the players don't need to create plots, or to have any motivations
beyond playing an adventurer seeking loot and XP. Adventure is out there, they just have
to go look for it. Your PC might not be suitable for a sandbox game because he's not an obvious
adventurer, although if his research was proactive so it could lead naturally into
adventures alongside other PCs it might work. I could see a game with the church as home base and sandoxing church politics + exploration of dungeon sites etc for relics, following up
rumours and so on.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
No real disagreement here - except: I think 4E was not designed to support gamism but instead simulationism. What does it say on the back of the PHB - "The world needs heroes?" I think the message is that you are going to play big damn heroes who change the world. I think it's difficult for 4E to not deliver on that promise.

In terms of Edwards' GNS model, yes 4e is technically Simulationist. But obviously it's not world-sim. More accurately it's Dramatist (per GDS) - it's intended to emulate the action-fantasy drama. It's most like Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG especially (I see a lot of Buffy/Joss Whedon in 4e), or WEG Star Wars, etc. The assurance that your PC will indeed play a Big Damn Hero (unlike 3e, say) is very valuable for this and affects player attitude considerably. It suits my professional author player very well - she can play the role of the Big Damn Hero with aplomb and the assurance that won't be undermined by
the bathos of a 1 on her first saving throw or a x3 axe crit taking her out in the first round of combat.

pemerton

Legend
I don't find it puzzling at all, and I find it puzzling that you do

<snip>

in one of our earliest encounters on this site, you identified yourself as a "Forgite" (or something similar, Forgist maybe?). Surely you meant to imply something more significant with that than you have participated in their forums, yes? I am fairly confident, given the context, that you meant to imply that you accept the general conclusions of the GNS theories, etc. and not that you adhere/advocate the principles you outline above.
I would have used it as a shorthand label, yes. It certainly doesn't mean I have participated in their forums (I haven't, because I prefer to post pseudonymously); it means I find their general approach helpful.

But that approach is (roughly) the approach of sincerity and clarity I mentioned above: I could add to the stress on honest actual play reports, analytic clarity. But GNS isn't the only contribution of the site to analytic clarity, and is not the one that I most use. I think the analysis of authority over various elements of the fiction - backstory, situation, plot, moment-by-moment colour - which is (as far as I know) not found in any of the essays but able to be pieced together from various posts by Edwards, Paul Czege and others (plus posts by Vincent Baker on his own site) - is the most valuable contribution from The Forge. And - like GNS itself - it is not an advocacy for any particular type of play, but a tool for analytic clarity.

the site does (IMO) a very poor job distinguishing its presentation of the theories as distinct from the other portions of its mission.Take a look at the "Story Now" essay page. Is there a disclaimer anywhere that these views don't represent the views of the Forge, or that they only represent the views of the author? If there is, it doesn't show on my browser.
Here is the opening part of the essay:

Acknowledgments are due to Mike Holmes, Ralph Mazza, Christopher Kubasik, Jesse Burneko, Paul Czege, Clinton R. Nixon, Vincent Baker, Seth Ben-Ezra, M. J. Young, Chris Chinn, Pete Darby, Gordon C. Landis, Walt Freitag, and Matt Snyder for comments on the first draft of this essay. All mistakes or misattributions should be considered my responsibility.

This is the third of three essays building upon the topics addressed in "GNS and other matters of role-playing theory" . . .

In the first two essays, I began presenting an overall model of role-playing, but piecemeal and in stumbling verbal form. As of this writing, I've finished that model, and it is included here as well.​

The (fairly standard) remark about "mistakes and misattributions", plus the repeated use of "I", have always been sufficient indication to me that I'm reading Edwards' work. The content of the essays has always to me been clearly an attempt at ideal-type analysis of RPG techniques and RPG play. There is also the stuff - less important, in my view - about only one mode of play being possible at a time, but that rests on a psychological premise about the capabilities of human aesthetic striving about which I personally am doubtful. I think that simulationism - insofar as it eschews metagame - is incompatible with gamism or narrativism pretty much as a matter of logic, but I think gamism and narrativism are not necessarily incompatible, or rather that "stepping on up", which brings with it notions of ego and courage, can fairly easily bleed into "thematic protagonism", which can also be about ego and courage. (Edwards in the Story Now essay even grades various narrativist systems by how much they demand of their participants in thematic and emotional terms - were 4e to be graded it would be somewhere towards the bottom! - and in the earlier "Step on Up" essay describes narrativism and gamism as using similar techniques to different aesthetic ends.)

I'll admit that the line between analysis and principles or advocacy is not always clear cut, but my interest in The Forge is in the power of its analysis. (For instance, Edwards called the exact mechanical division lines of the 3E/4e split back in his Step on Up essay - it is precisely over those mechanical techniques that gamism and narrativism, but not process simulationism, can share.) The fact that the intellectual leaders of The Forge would regard my own game as shallow and derivative has never bothered me: I am not looking to roleplay with them, just to benefit from their insight. (There are in fact reasons to be sceptical of aspects of Frege's analysis of language and logic, but his political beliefs aren't among them. Mutatis mutandis, I view Edwards and The Forge in the same way.)

It may because I am used to drawing some of these distinctions in my day job (I am an academic lawyer and philosopher) that I don't find it hard to do so with The Forge - for instance, there are plenty of theorists in the fields in which I work whose analysis I find very powerful although I do not share their views of what would be desirable in human affairs, and whom I know would equally disagree with my own evaluative conclusions.

Do you figure that a person going to that page to discover what you or I mean by Narrativism is going to take the time to explore the rather large forums and discover that games are developed there that do not adhere to the GNS theory?
I don't reallly know what it would mean for a game to adhere to GNS theory. (Or to not adhere to it, for that matter.) GNS theory is a theory about the possible forms of aesthetic payoff from RPGing, and how certain techniques might help contribute to, or get in the way of, that payoff. Whereas a particular RPG is a set of rules and techniques for enabling multiple participants to construct and evolve fictional situations, with at least some of the participants having special responsibility for some of the persons within those fictional situations (that's the "role playing" bit). It makes sense to analyse a RPG in GNS terms (eg Can we explain what sort of payoff it is hoping to deliver? Do we expect the rules and techniques it deploys to actually do this?), but I don't know what it means for the game to "adhere" to it: we can use chemistry to help understand how a recipe works, whether (for instance) it's really the best way to produce some desired texture or flavour (is the vinegar we've always put in there actually helping, or does the thing turn out OK in spite of the vinegar?), but it's not as if recipes adhere, or not, to chemical theory. They're just recipes.

Presumably, from the point of view of an RPG designer, there is a point or rationale for constructing and evolving the fictional situations with which the game deals - even if it's just an implicit "it's fun to pretend". I would expect any RPG designer to think about thise issue, and to think about how the particular rules and techiques s/he is putting into his/her game will contribute to the overall endeavour. GNS theory may or may not help with this - just as some contemporary chefs use chemistry, but many don't; and just as some artists, perhaps, self-consciously draw upon the theories of critics but many (probably most) don't.

However exactly a designer thinks about the point of their game, and how their rules contribute to that point, I wouldn't particularly expect their game to make it clear how they framed their thinking. I don't particularly want the rules to be a design diary in any literal sense. I want them to tell me how the designer thinks I can best put their system to work! - but that's independent of any GNS analysis.

Remove ads