Willy Wonka based magic items

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I did a one shot adventure for some friends today, loosely based on the "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" book and movies, complete with singing Oompa Loompa's and weird magic items. (At the end of the session the characters also ended up with the Golden Ticket which can summon the Great Glass Elevator every 5 days - the elevator can travel to any location or plane of existence...if you punch in the correct number on the control panel...)

If anyone is interested, here are three magic items I handed out, based on things in the movies:

Everlasting Gobstopper
(Wondrous Item, Uncommon, Soulbound)

The Everlasting Gobstopper is a round mult-colored candy jawbreaker that you suck on but it never gets any smaller. While the gobstopper is in your mouth you cannot cast spells with verbal components or activate magic items that require a command word or command phrase.

The gobstopper has 3 charges that refresh after a long rest. Everytime you use a charge the color and flavor of the gobstopper changes.

Everlasting Refreshment - while sucking on the gobstopper you spend charges for one of the following benefits:

1 charge: Use a bonus action to spend one of your HD and heal yourself HD+Con mod.

2 charges: Use an action to have the gobstopper cast Protection From Poison on you.

3 charges: Use an action to have the gobstopper cast Lesser Restoration on you.

Soulbound: Once you have used a gobstopper, no one else can use it, and you cannot benefit from any other gobstopper.

Fizzy Lifting Drink
(potion, rare, consumable)

This refreshing effervescent drink comes in variety of colors and flavors (grape, blueberry, watermelon, strawberry, green apple, etc).

As an action you can drink this potion and immediately heal 2d4+2 hit points.
For the next 10 minutes you also levitate 30’ upward every round on your turn (no concentration or action on your part).

You can push off an adjacent wall or structure to propel yourself horizontally in a straight line up to your speed (you can also make a DC 10 Acrobatics or Athletics check to change your direction if you move adjacent to another wall or structure during your movement).

You can grab onto something solid (DC 10 Acrobatics or Athletics check) to stop your upward movement.

Alternatively you can make a DC 10 Constitution check to burp up enough fizzy lifting gas to halt your ascent for one round. If you roll a natural 1 on this check, you somehow swallow down the burp and rise an additional 10’ this round (40’ instead of 30’). If you make a DC 20 Constitution check you can halt your ascent for 5 rounds, and a natural 20 means you burp up enough gas to end the levitation effect.

Every 5 rounds make a DC 10 Con save - failure means you can’t stop yourself from burping and don’t rise this round, success means you ascend as normal, and a 20+ on the save means you rise 40’ this round. (This is only important to check if there is a “Fizzy Lifting Race” to see who can get the highest the fastest.)

Three Course Dinner Chewing Gum
(Wondrous Item, Uncommon, consumable)

This is a thin strip (2 inches by half an inch) of flavored sinewy substance that can be vigorously chewed on as an action.

If you chew for 1 round you heal 1 hit point and it tastes like you are eating a hearty soup (various types depending on the gum flavor).

If you chew for 2 rounds you heal an additional hit point and gain a days worth of sustenance (as a good berry). The gum tastes like the main dinner course (turkey with gravy, beef with sauce, chick and dumplings, etc.)

If you chew for 3 rounds it tastes like dessert (pie and icecream), and you gain the benefits of a Hero's Feast spell. However, you also swell to Large size and become Restrained as you are now so big and round that you can’t move under your own power. Your skin also changes color (red, yellow, orange, green, or blue) depending on the pie flavor in the desert. You will need a Greater Restoration (or 30 minutes in a wine press, or a Long Rest) to return to your normal size and a Remove Curse to get your skin color back to normal.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I love it. Thank you for posting this. Now we need:

Wonka's Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight
Swuge
The Chocolate River
Lickable Wallpaper
Wonka Bars

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I love it. Thank you for posting this. Now we need:

Wonka's Whipple-Scrumptious Fudgemallow Delight
Swuge
The Chocolate River
Lickable Wallpaper
Wonka Bars

They did encounter the chocolate river - they had to fight Chocolate Puddings (reskinned Black Puddings that didn't do acid damage, but could coat you in rapidly hardening chocolate) and later ran from a Chocodile.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The gadget I most remember was the TV that datalyzed you, transmitted you across the room, and put you back together inside a TV screen, now Tiny-sized.

I can't think of a way to use this that does not turn into 'permanently remove PC from the game'.

Quartz

Hero
The gadget I most remember was the TV that datalyzed you, transmitted you across the room, and put you back together inside a TV screen, now Tiny-sized.

I can't think of a way to use this that does not turn into 'permanently remove PC from the game'.

Could this be a variant of the Mirror of Life Trapping? Or for higher level parties you could riff on the Astral Dreadnaught and have 'inside the TV' be a demiplane, with the TV screen being a clairsentience effect.

Last edited:

Remove ads